Spyderco Army Knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
v34

Spyderco Army Knife

Post by v34 »

It is not for me to tell a company such as spyderco what to produce but in this age of multitools a return to basics would clear the opposition. Produce a Spyderco army knife such as the old swiss army knives. A good selection of blades, one with a hole maybe with a liner lock,modern zytel handles. At last i would have a pocket sized everyday tool. Please build me one.
sal

Post by sal »

v34 - Welcome to the Spyderco forum. Thanx for the input. We've just introduced our first multitool with the SpydeRench. Certainly a learning experience, but the results is a very efective tool.

R & D is working on a number of additonal designs. Some more complicated than others, but all with performance as the prime focus. We've not "copied" others to date, and will probably continue to "do our own thing" as in the past. Stuff comin'. Can't say what or when though.

If you will email me your mailing address, we would like to send you a gift for being our first poster on this brand new forum.

sal
sal

Post by sal »

double post.

Edited by - sal on 7/20/00 5:57:42 AM
James Mattis

Post by James Mattis »

The Centofante C25 is a good profile to start with for the body of the knife and the main blade. Make it thicker, and there should be room for a can-opener, caplifter-screwdriver, and a pair of scissors. Maybe a corkscrew? All of these are are not on the SpydeRench, which is helpless in the face of food and drink. :) :)
James Mattis

Post by James Mattis »

Dreaded multiple post-bogus error message

Edited by - James Mattis on 7/25/00 8:33:23 PM
James Mattis

Post by James Mattis »

Edited by - James Mattis on 7/25/00 8:33:56 PM
James Mattis

Post by James Mattis »

Edited by - James Mattis on 7/25/00 8:34:14 PM
James Mattis

Post by James Mattis »

OY! It gave me that error message that I thought meant I wasn't posting anything ... Administrator, feel free to delete-delete-delete!!! :o
sam the man..

Post by sam the man.. »

I'm yet to see or feel a spydewrench, but IMHO - that's really original in design, real awesome looking thing too! (-;
ChuteTheMall

Post by ChuteTheMall »

Skip the corkscrew, cheap ones are available wherever corked wines are sold. Add a locking awl, or long locking marlinspike opposite the blade. Either tool is very useful for working with leather or rope, plus the obvious tactical use on the pommel.
Frank

Post by Frank »

This is my post from Bladeforums a couple of weeks ago.

Bring back the Syderco Laguiole, put in another backspring for a scissors or a screwdriver/bottle opener and put a corkscrew on the back. I can't remember if the Spyderco Laguiole had a hole in the blade but if not, add a low profile one like on the Native. You'd end up with kind of an improved Victorinox Waiter that could be opened with one hand and have a longer blade.
ManixFan

Re: Spyderco Army Knife

Post by ManixFan »

Looked for the oldest post I could find on the newest forum and found this thread and thought that the topic was still relevant.

The recent clipitools are nice but a few more options would also be nice as well. But not the the extent of a SAK .......they are already out there and great for what they are. Perhaps variations with a three "blade" max with different knives having different themes but also with larger and more useful blade shapes than your typical SAK.
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

How about a variation on the Dyad but with three blades. Perhaps call it the Triad: Use the Dyad blades and then add a PE Wharncliff blade.
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Either that or go to a 4 blade max (I know I've just contradicted myself :eek: )
With two blades off each pivot. One PE, One SE (with additional tool - e.g., hook line cutter on back), then two additional tool blades off of each primary blade pivot. The 4 blades can nest together from either side alternating from pivot to pivot. I think that 4 blades would be the absolute max though in order to keep the width down to reasonable sizes .....this is where SAK go overboard at times where the width of the knife (with blade openings) is larger than the scale depth.
Nate

Post by Nate »

The other day I switched things up and just carried a black alox SAK Cadet at work. An idea for some kind of alox handled Spyderco crossed my mind...

Blue alox Chaparral?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I am glad to hear Sal say they are coming out with new models. I did not buy the Clipitool because I could get more in a SAK. If the newer knives were FRN or G10 and had a knife blade, bottle opener, screw drivers (2), can opener, I could be happy.
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

Where did you here that one? Was it an unreported Casual Bombshell?
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Spyderwrench 2 when
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:44 pm
Spyderwrench 2 when
Sal’s previous answer to whether this is likely to happen:
sal wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:15 pm
Hi Carrot,

Probably not. Mfr was very challenging. We lost our shirts on the project. They are worth far more than they cost to buy.

sal
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Cambertree wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:58 pm
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:44 pm
Spyderwrench 2 when
Sal’s previous answer to whether this is likely to happen:
sal wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:15 pm
Hi Carrot,

Probably not. Mfr was very challenging. We lost our shirts on the project. They are worth far more than they cost to buy.

sal
heck
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v