Spyderco Army Knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Spyderco Army Knife

Post by Doc Dan »

I wonder if a partnership with Leatherman would work, or with Victorinox?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

The ClipiTool series is Spyderco's answer to the question. Sal already stated in this ancient thread that Spyderco is not going to copy anyone, so no "me too" products.

Having said that, I think a Spyderco blade with an opening hole on a Leatherman would sell out instantly. A lot of complications would arise with vastly different warranty polices. Maybe Leatherman should license the hole?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:00 am
The ClipiTool series is Spyderco's answer to the question. Sal already stated in this ancient thread that Spyderco is not going to copy anyone, so no "me too" products.

Having said that, I think a Spyderco blade with an opening hole on a Leatherman would sell out instantly. A lot of complications would arise with vastly different warranty polices. Maybe Leatherman should license the hole?
Leatherman already uses an opening cutout for a lot of models. I don't know if making it perfectly round would be a big enough improvement to make a difference in sales.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:05 am
JRinFL wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:00 am

Leatherman already uses an opening cutout for a lot of models. I don't know if making it perfectly round would be a big enough improvement to make a difference in sales.
True. I'd hope for steel upgrade with the addition of the hole, but it is all very unlikely to happen, especially now that Leatherman moved strongly in to the pocketknife market.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx for the memory trip. Eric, Gail and I have great respect for Leatherman and Victorinox. I pushed to get both of them into the Cutlery Hall of Fame. In fact, we look to Victorinox as kind of a mentor having kept the company alive and growing for so many years.

The SpydeRench was a very effective solution in a compact package. Marty Beck, the inventor ( he designed the Martian probe navigation system) Spent a great deal of time and effort to develop, refine and actually made the first prototype.

We tooled up[ in three countries to try to bring it to the market. Also, we didn't have the horsepower we have now. If someone invents a really good tool related to the portable blade market, we'll certainly look at it closely, but we really don't want to make a similar product to what they are making. But thanx for the suggestions.

sal
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

sal wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:38 pm
Thanx for the memory trip. Eric, Gail and I have great respect for Leatherman and Victorinox. I pushed to get both of them into the Cutlery Hall of Fame. In fact, we look to Victorinox as kind of a mentor having kept the company alive and growing for so many years.

The SpydeRench was a very effective solution in a compact package. Marty Beck, the inventor ( he designed the Martian probe navigation system) Spent a great deal of time and effort to develop, refine and actually made the first prototype.

We tooled up[ in three countries to try to bring it to the market. Also, we didn't have the horsepower we have now. If someone invents a really good tool related to the portable blade market, we'll certainly look at it closely, but we really don't want to make a similar product to what they are making. But thanx for the suggestions.

sal
That is really cool. Thanks for sharing the history, Sal!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:31 am
I wonder if a partnership with Leatherman would work, or with Victorinox?
If they ever were to do a Spyderench 2 I would be inclined to work with Victorinox if I were a decision maker for Spyderco. I have two of the Victorinox Swiss Tools and they are awesome.

However the concept of the original Spyderench was a very unique, one of a kind multitool. I'm doubtful they would ever do a conventional type multitool even though I would personally love to see it. Most of the other Multitools on the market today are more or less off-shoots of the original Leatherman models. In a way I'm kind of surprised that BUCK, SOG, GERBER and a couple of other companies that came along during the multi-tool craze that some of them didn't have a lawsuit thrown at them for making them close in design to the early Leatherman models.

I would love to see a Spyderco-Victorinox collaboration on a multi-tool at some point.
sal

Post by sal »

Leatherman and Victorinox make excellent mutitools.

sal
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

sal wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:51 pm

sal

I agree. The Victorinox SwissTool doesn't get the credit it deserves. It is phenomenal. I have a handful of them stashed in the cars and around the house.

:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I agree that both Leatherman and Victorinox make excellent multi-tools. I have several Leathermans that I use on a near-daily basis, as well as my trusty Gerber Multi-Plier. The only problem is that they don't say "Spyderco" on the handles. All kidding aside, I would gladly pay a premium for a new Golden-made Spyderco multi-tool—either a re-birth of the original design, or a completely new design. I would also be very interested in seeing a Spyderco/Leatherman or Spyderco/Victorinox collaboration. Either way, I understand that such a tool would be a challenge to produce and would likely carry a premium price tag, but I would happily pay the price for a Golden-made multi-tool. I agree with the idea of doing something different with the design vs. trying to make something similar to Leatherman or Victorinox. I was captivated by the originality of the first Spyderco multi-tool, the Spyderwrench, and I believe that Spyderco could design something equally as unique--especially with the advancements in technology and materials that we have today. Two features that would be a "must" for me on a multi-tool are the Crescent-style adjustable wrench and the interchangeable Allen wrench bits. I recently got back into archery and am frequently having to use my el-cheapo Allen wrench set to make adjustments on my sight, rest, quiver, etc. How awesome would it be to have a Spyderco multi-tool that could easily accommodate these needs, especially when out in the woods? Just add a pocket clip and I think this tool would be a home-run for archery fans and knife AFI's alike.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Danke

Post by Danke »

This sure feels like someone sitting in at a sushi bar wondering why they won't make him a pepperoni pizza.

It's all food right?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

What would be better is Spyderco's answer to the Victorinox US Military knife. This is a folding knife with a thumb hole and extra tools.

I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

I've been tempted by that Vic for a while, Doc.

The ClipiTool Standard has been great for me and certainly seems to have potential for more tool variety.

nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

sal wrote:

sal

Agreed.

Pairing the brands together forms an almost perfect EDC. :cool:
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I agree. I have a Swisstool RS along with my Autonomy for my duty carry.
They're both unstoppable.
steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:03 pm
sal wrote:

sal

I agree. The Victorinox SwissTool doesn't get the credit it deserves. It is phenomenal. I have a handful of them stashed in the cars and around the house.

Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I understand completely Sal's reluctance to get back into another Spyderench, but I'd love to carry one and put it through its paces.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032