Spyder-razor??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Straight Razors don't seem to shave as close as a double edged safety razor and ZDP wouldn't be a ideal straight razor steel, as you want the fin to flex a little (no need for hard brittle steels)
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Just a thought...
Razors are wiped clean after using, never meant to be washed.
The edge rusts a tad, and the next stropping removes the rust, and creates mini-mini-mini teeth to shave again. I make 440F razors, and I found that you need to let the blade "rest"' for at least a week for the edges to "rust".
Stropping the next day after each shave, is not as good as leaving the blade for a week. I have four identical razors to sort out that waiting problem... :)

BTW...The O1 steel blades I used to make, would rust the right amount in a day :)
Ookami

Post by Ookami »

razors are a very difficult project. you can shave hair with your spydies, but not even my sharpest :spyder: is anywhere near the sharpness of my straight razor.

the grind on a razor is especially hard to do, since the blade has to be very thin, and the steel should be pereferably carbon steel, since it is way more flexible than any stainless. pm-steels like zdp-189 or s30v are used in safety razors, but that is another story... some staright razors even make a peculiar sound when cutting the hair due to their thin blade vibrating during the stroke.

furthermore, for daily use you'd have to get at least 2 of those, since the fine edge of razors bends ever so slightly during use and if laid to rest for at least a day bends back on its own. if you don't let it rest, the microscopic, bent over edge might break off leaving your razor dull.

that said, I just wanted to point out that spyderco doesn't have the machinery and maybe not the experience to turn out high quality razors, although I'd love to see a straight razor with an opening hole just for the heck of it :D

Ookami
________
Vapolution
Fairlane

Post by Fairlane »

I would really, really like this one to happen. Can not say how pleased i would be if i could shave with a Spyderco :D
I think it's an excellent idea!
HoB

Post by HoB »

I very much doubed that it will be one of the high end blade steels. For a straight razor you need a pretty soft steel that strops very well. So ZDP-189 is pretty much out of the question.
Pete1977

Post by Pete1977 »

I have a dovo razor, and a much thinner henkels that I shave with (when I shave-I am lucky if I shave once a month :) )
I prefer the narrower henkels (which I picked up RAZOR sharp at an antique shop in essex MA) because I have more control over the blade.

what has been stated above is true, the razor's steel should be soft, so that the microscopic fin can realign itself with rest. A harder steel like s30v would be difficult to strop, or realign on a hemp pad.

I prefer the less close shave of a straight razor to a safety razor myself.

A tactical razor on the other hand, like a Ray Rogers, would be sweet as well.

pete
BlackNinja

Post by BlackNinja »

Ray Rogers just finished my Mk II Rayzor! I can't wait to get it, it should be here by Friday! I like the idea of :spyder: having one in their line-up!
I don't think this is made for shaving with s30v steel, and dual titanium liners on a 5" micarta handle! If :spyder: were to go down this road, I would hope that "shaving" would not be ideal.
A Ray Rogers collaboration!!! :D That would be SWEET!
Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh;
Let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones;
Let him fracture your bones and you take his life!
-Bruce Lee-
----------------------------------------------------------------

-Joe