Edge angle for sharpening ..

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jl1

Edge angle for sharpening ..

Post by jl1 »

I've got another question for my fellow Spyderco owners here. At what angle does Spyderco grind the edges on their blades? I don't know if it's the same for all models, but the Calypso Jr.(VG-10) is the knife I'll be sharpening. Thanks!

P.S. I apologize in advance to Mr. "Stare" and his hero Joe if this question has ever been asked before on this or any other internet knife forum! ;-)
Sword and Shield

Post by Sword and Shield »

At the factory, the blades are sharpened to a 30 degree included angle (15 per side). However, sharpening at a 40 degree included angle is what I recommend for edge durability.

Keepin' it real...real sharp, that is.
The Stare

Post by The Stare »

There is nothing wrong with asking a question that has been asked many times before. There is less wrong with using a software feature like "Search" and learning the answer yourself. Who knows, you might come across a thread or two that will have more information than you'll receive from a simple, straightforward answer.

ie -- there are almost certainly multiple threads -- probably including answers from Joe Talmadge -- that talk about back beveling edges, which you could find useful.

Stare