Spyderco Tomahawk?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SoCal Operator

Post by SoCal Operator »

It certainly can't. I'd buy a :spyder: tomahawk or hatchet. Simple steel and FRN/micarta handles. Balanced and sharpened to Spyderco's standards as well, and it sounds like a superlative tool.
Ask me where I got my awesome SUPERHAWK!

More like Mid-Cal now

Be Prepared
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

sal wrote:Hi Turner,

There is no evidence to support that ZDP would excel at impact chopping. I would need to discuss this with Ed Schempp, Warren Osbourne, and Scott Devanna at Crucible. My limited education looks to 3V, S6 or S7, M5 and similar materials. Chopping the toughest materials from wood to chain would determine the blade material for me.

Hey Deacon, while you are not "average" ;) , my tendency would be to agree that "real-world-function" would be the prime focus. Tools can make good weapons, but weapons do not always make good tools.

Liong has deigned a folding hawk that Eric is playing with. Ball bearing lock.

I think some early protos are available from Liong. Interesting piece.

sal
So, any news of this :D

(Lets just say I'm interested)
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
JD Spydo

Steel selection for striking tools

Post by JD Spydo »

I have heard that "O1" and "M2" have both been used in making tactical hatchet's and tomahawks. I agree that ZDP-189 would not be the steel that any custom maker of hatchets or tomahawks would use. I know that the brother is well intended but the type of steel you would need for that type of tool would be a high impact tool steel.

I remember one guy in a past issue of Tactical Knives magazine who was making some very high dollar tomahawks and he was using "A2" tool steel. They had given him a big thumbs up for his custom made striking tools.

The steel you would ideally use for any type of striking tool is a different steel than what would make an ideal knife blade.

Now there is one steel that they make superb woodworking tools from and it's called Hitachi Super Blue Steel. I think that would be worth investigating for a possible choice of steel to use. I'm glad we are talking about this again.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
v8r

Post by v8r »

I would be in the market for one.I think some grippy g-10 or CF would be nice for the handle material, or TI if it was checkered or something.It couldn't be too light or it wouldn't chop through much. I currently have a Eastwing camp ax that I use alot,but the only thing about it is the handle material. It looks like stacked leather coated with lots of varnish, and it is very slippery.If Sal and Spyderco decide to make one I hope it is modern and usefull.A hammer on one side would be nice for pounding in tent stakes or T post in the ground.Maybe they could use the old school Tomahawk look,but modernize it.It has to have a spyderhole in it somewhere. :)
JD Spydo

A dream stat sheet

Post by JD Spydo »

I would love to see Spyderco make a hatchet/tomahawk similar to one I seen in a magazine a while back. I'd love to see one with a ax head that removes for easier sharpening.

I'd love to see a titanium alloy handle with a hollowed out end in which you could store things like matches or a fire starting kit.

I still maintain that a tool steel like A2 or O1 or even that Hitachi Super Blue Steel would make an awesome ax head/bit.

The other brother had a great idea to line the handle with either G-10 or peel ply Carbon Fiber for an optimum grip.

I truly think the sooner the better because tomahawks, hatchets and camp gear in general seem to be trendy and hot at the moment.

Let the brainstorming begin. :)
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
shabbasuraj

Post by shabbasuraj »

we need a tomahawk mule.

perhaps not.
v8r

Post by v8r »

It has to be FFG since that is what everyone likes nowdays!!!! :rolleyes: :p :rolleyes:
sal

Post by sal »

We have a design for an hawk/hatchet, suitable for back-pack. Not too large or too small.

We're planning to make the proto out or H1 with FRN handle. We'd like to test it for a while before going forward.

Any input would be appreciated.

sal
Blue72

Post by Blue72 »

I would love to see one that would fit a backpack and have real chopping ability but still be light and agile that tomahawks are known for. I would also like to see a hammer on the opposite end for extra utility at a campsite
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

dd61999 wrote:I would love to see one that would fit a backpack and have real chopping ability but still be light and agile that tomahawks are known for. I would also like to see a hammer on the opposite end for extra utility at a campsite
You just gave me a thought...

I've always appreciated the dual ability of a hatchet to chop and hammer, but I've always been too nervous to hammer too hard because on the back swing there would be a sharp edge coming back towards my face.

I would love to have some sort of safety cover on the edge that could be left on while hammering. How about some sort of kydex sheath that leaves the hammer face open? If you attach a G-clip to it, you could still wear it on your belt and pull the hatchet out to chop, or unclip it from your belt to hammer with the sheath still on it.

Other than that, ergonomic design, H1 steel, along with FRN handle (full length or scales) sounds absolutely great. I suppose there is some way around the maximum thickness of 3mm and the impossibility of flat ground blades, right? (Though, a short (~8inch) thin headed hatchet with a full tang FRN handle (British Racing Green) would be a very fun blade, even if it was not an effective hatchet).

EDIT: Could we get it in full SE? :p
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
v8r

Post by v8r »

I'm game, how about a combo edge,best of both worlds. :p joking. if H-1 work hardens like you guys say it does,sounds goo to me.As far as a sharpened edge coming at your face,don't really think thats a problem.People use claw hammers all the time , a claw in the eye wouldn't be any more forgiving. ;)
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

sal wrote:We have a design for an hawk/hatchet, suitable for back-pack. Not too large or too small.

We're planning to make the proto out or H1 with FRN handle. We'd like to test it for a while before going forward.

Any input would be appreciated.

sal
Can you convex grind H1 for this? Don't think I want a hollow ground hatchet ;)

I'm more conventional when it comes to fixed blades and axes (Wetterlings/Gransfors Bruks/Hultafors), but a hatchet with ORANGE FRN handle would be nice.

Belt carry option would be great :)

Sverre
Th232

Post by Th232 »

NoFair wrote:Can you convex grind H1 for this? Don't think I want a hollow ground hatchet ;)
NoFair brings up a good point, how is this going to be ground? I remember Sal saying before that flat grinding H1 wasn't feasible on a factory line because of the grinding equipment and how H1 work hardens or something. Maybe things've changed (or my memory's faulty :o )?
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

If it were possible to make the bottom tip of the handle (or perhaps on top between the blade and the hammer?) into a crowbar-esque claw for prying/ search and rescue, I would DEFINITLEY buy one for the earthquake preparedness kit. Would exponentially increase its every day practicality for me and many other users.

Thanks!
Mark
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Sverre,

has to be hollow ground for the initial grind. Might be able to convex at the edge. that's why we're going to make a protot first for testing.

sal
xdshooter

Post by xdshooter »

****. I just spent $300 on two Gransfors Bruks. How am I going to justify a new Spyderco axe to the wife? Maybe I could "loose" one, then "find" it after the new one arrives? Hopefully the pink Native will help ease the pain!
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

With so many great :spyder: knives just being released or about to be released, the Spyderco Tomahawk may be on the back-burner, but I'm still interested. I wonder if the prototype has been made yet. Sal, any updates on this?
MCM

Post by MCM »

I would buy one!

But with the focus of many new models going to 3" & under, non locking, sheeple friendly designs in sporty colors etc. this seems like a very wild departure.
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

MCM wrote:I would buy one!

But with the focus of many new models going to 3" & under, non locking, sheeple friendly designs in sporty colors etc. this seems like a very wild departure.
I'd buy several. :D

And I agree that Spyderco has put a lot of energy recently into bringing out smaller, multi-jurisdiction friendly knives (which in typical Spyderco fashion, they've done very, very well) but that's only one side of the story. Let's not forget the upcoming, new, or recent releases of the digicam Millies, the Jumpmaster, Temperance 2, Police 3, Superhawk, Rock Salt, Bushcraft, Manix 2, the list goes on. And the Forester et al are still in the lineup too. The philosophy has always been to make hard working tools and I don't see that a SpyderTomahawk in H1 steel is any departure from that at all. :)
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

*Bump*

Any news on how the prototype Spyderco Tomahawk is coming along?