Spyderco Tomahawk?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
V-1

Spyderco Tomahawk?

Post by V-1 »

Would any of you guys and gals be interested in a Spyderco Tomahawk? I'd love to see Spyderco's take on this classic tool.

It'd be a perfect match for the 6"-7.5" MBC fixed blade that Mr. Glesser has been inquiring about. Heck, it'd be a perfect complement for any of their folders.

Joseph Szilaski would be the perfect gentlemen for Spyderco to collaborate with on this project in my opinion. You can see examples of his incredible craftsmanship here:
http://www.szilaski.com/tomahawks/

The man is truly an artist.
JD Spydo

Knife World> January Issue

Post by JD Spydo »

There is a very extensive article in the January Issue of Knife World Magazine abott Tomahawks, hatchets, axes and so forth. I have slowly generated an interest in such edged tools here of late. With a lot of the other innovations that the Great Spyder Factory has explored I don't see why it would not be a good idea.

At least it's something to take a serious look at. Cold Steel and a couple of other knife companies I can think of have done well with adding such items to their line up. Why NOT??? I would buy one or 2 for sure :spyder:
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Irish Lager

Post by Irish Lager »

I think it is a great idea, and i would love to see one. Then again id like to see a field hatchet as well. The only problem is im not sure how well they would sell, so im not sure if this could become a reality. Like JD said other compaines have done so and had great results, but i dont know if the great spyder factory is willing to try their luck just yet. Maybe if this thread can get blown out of the water like the hawkbill thread we may just accomplish this task, but who knows.

Come on people, chime in and give some support to what may be the largest step to date.
J
Say what you mean, Mean what you say! :spyder:

sal

Post by sal »

V-1 posted this question on the other Spyderco forum. This was my comment;

Hi V-1.

We've thought about it. I have saved a design from Dennis Werner that I've had for 25 years. Its a good format for a modern design. His was forged as a throwing hawk (which it does well), but also works well for chopping.

It's certainly worth discussing.

I would say that it would be important to consider our "niche". Performance would have to be paramount, materials right for the purpose.

I think our approach to design is well put by an old Colin Chapman line;

"Simplicate and add lightness"

sal
TurnerIII

Post by TurnerIII »

And of course make it in:

ZDP-189

:D :eek: :eek: :D
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Joseph Szilaski's work is remarkable and he is truly an artist, but I think it is safe to say the vast majority of his hawks end up as display pieces. I know I would not mind displaying one on my wall. But I question whether Spyderco would be interested in going in that direction. Sal's comments here seem to indicate that looks would be low on the list of priorities if Spyderco were to build a tomahawk.

Personally, I have no interest in either a throwing/fighting tomahawk or a large MBC fixed blade. I consider my knives to be tools, not weapons, and, if I were ever to been in the market for a chopping implement, it would be for splitting wood, not skulls. This is not to say I do not think Spyderco should produce these products, I realize that I am not the "average" Spyderco customer and that Sal has a much better feeling for the cutlery market than I do.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Turner,

There is no evidence to support that ZDP would excel at impact chopping. I would need to discuss this with Ed Schempp, Warren Osbourne, and Scott Devanna at Crucible. My limited education looks to 3V, S6 or S7, M5 and similar materials. Chopping the toughest materials from wood to chain would determine the blade material for me.

Hey Deacon, while you are not "average" ;) , my tendency would be to agree that "real-world-function" would be the prime focus. Tools can make good weapons, but weapons do not always make good tools.

Liong has deigned a folding hawk that Eric is playing with. Ball bearing lock.

I think some early protos are available from Liong. Interesting piece.

sal
sal

Post by sal »

double post
V-1

Post by V-1 »

The Deacon wrote:Joseph Szilaski's work is remarkable and he is truly an artist, but I think it is safe to say the vast majority of his hawks end up as display pieces. I know I would not mind displaying one on my wall. But I question whether Spyderco would be interested in going in that direction. Sal's comments here seem to indicate that looks would be low on the list of priorities if Spyderco were to build a tomahawk.
Mr. Szilaski's pieces are exquisitely balanced and are awesome working tools. They just happen to look quite cool too. Check one out at a show sometime. They are not just a "pretty face". They are hard use tools that are quite effective for there intended uses; chopping and smashing with the hammer end. Sometimes you can have the best of both worlds.

Honestly, I don't care who designs it as long as they release one. Heck, I'm sure Mr. Glesser's Tomahawk design would be light, quick and devastating for utility and defense. Mr. Glesser hasn't let us down yet. :D
V-1

Post by V-1 »

Oh yeah, my advice would be to use a tool steel. I'd stay away from stainless steel. Your going to need something that's known for impact resistance.
TurnerIII

Post by TurnerIII »

Sal -

I was just [making an attempt of] being funny. You knew someone was going to say it! ZDP the wonder metal - for every application! Or H-1 !! A rust free tomahawk !! :D :rolleyes: :D

Please - I leave the physical considerations to those that have a better working knowledge of metallurgical matters. ;)

Now as far as dental cements or adhesives ... ask me!! :)
Irish Lager

Post by Irish Lager »

Considering my experience w/ steel is rather limited i cant say what it should be made of, other than i hope it is some sort of tool steel. As to which tool steel would work best i dont know. Another question would be what handle material would be best suited for heavy use? Like i said, i think this is a great idea, and i hope it comes into production.
J
Say what you mean, Mean what you say! :spyder:

ChuteTheMall

Post by ChuteTheMall »

I respectfully demand that it can be carried tip up!! :D

A concealable, easily carried tool which can double as a weapon; hammer on the back, as light as would still be functional. Might as well drill a round hole in it too! :)

I wouldn't care about throwing it.
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

sal wrote:Liong has deigned a folding hawk that Eric is playing with. Ball bearing lock.
That's a lot of force to apply to a folder, will be the BB lock be able to handle that much stress?
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
TurnerIII

Post by TurnerIII »

I was kind of thinking of it as having an around the neck sheath for it - Self Protection Option Tool :D :eek: ;)

Now handle in G10, FRN or CF ??? :rolleyes:

Kidding aside if Glock can make shovels and fixed blade knives - I think Sal and Co can come up with a pretty cool Tomahawk. With perhaps a little golden :spyder: on it? :)
ChuteTheMall

Post by ChuteTheMall »

TurnerIII wrote: Kidding aside if Glock can make shovels and fixed blade knives - I think Sal and Co can come up with a pretty cool Tomahawk. With perhaps a little golden :spyder: on it? :)
Maybe even a folding pistol with a belt clip? :D
This time I wouldn't want tip up carry. :rolleyes:
mikewww

Post by mikewww »

CS already make a range of sharp and heavy weapons besides knives. Their catalog looks like something King Arthur and his Knights would have been proud of ! Why try to emulate them ? I would rather Spyderco did what they do best, and that is to make fine knives.
V-1

Post by V-1 »

mikewww wrote:CS already make a range of sharp and heavy weapons besides knives. Their catalog looks like something King Arthur and his Knights would have been proud of !
Exactly! I think Spyderco would make something wicked functional. Not something to hang on your wall...after you reinforce the wall that is. :D
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

I'd love to see what Spyderco would come up with for a utility 'hawk. I want one that is light enough to backpack, but tough enough to handle serious chopping duties (suitable for handaxe chores, not for felling large trees ;) )
It should not be too short / small IMO, or it won't be enough to get the job done. The steel used will be appropriate for function and value (I'll leave it up to Sal and company to figure that out). Handle material should be durable and maintenance free.
Just a few thoughts, fwiw.
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

*BUMP*

As I've recently become interested in Tomahawks, I'd love it if Spyderco made these tools. I came across this old thread and thought I'd bump it up to see if there's any interest or any plans afoot to make a :spyder: Tomahawk.

It can't hurt to hope, right? :)