Really slight horizontal blade play on my ParaMillie

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GarageBoy

Really slight horizontal blade play on my ParaMillie

Post by GarageBoy »

Is there a way to eliminate it? The pivot is tightened down, just a SLIGHT side to side wobble
naggalowmo

Post by naggalowmo »

heres what i have discovered from personal experience.
you have a find a balance between tightness of the pivot AND the tightness of the screws on your pocket clip. those two factors have to be perfect in order to get a good smooth and blade play free knife. just sit down with some torx wrenches and a screwdriver and experiment.

if your compression lock becomes sticky you can rotate the stop pin and experiment with a position you like.

good luck!
"There's always something waiting at the end of the road. If you're not willing to see what it is, you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place."
STR

Post by STR »

It can be helped or even alleviated altogether with an additional washer or sometimes two on each side of the blade in the pivot. I've even taken apart some from the factory with more than one on each side now and then. Must be part of the fine tuning of the knife.

STR
It is not necessary to do extraordinary things in life but only to do ordinary things extraordinarily well.

STR's Blog
Slvgx

Post by Slvgx »

If it were me, I'd send it to Spyderco. I'm not good with my hands :)
ASA NISI MASA
Texas guy

I Para broke in nicely

Post by Texas guy »

Some people have spoken of thier knives breaking in and then developing blade play and I experienced the exact opposite. When my Para was brand new there was slight vertical play, and I couldnt eliminate the horizontal play without making the knife too tight. I eventually got frustrated and just let it be using it daily anyways, and eventually the lock broke in and the vertical blade play actually reduced down to zero! The knife locks up even more solidly well-used than it did brand new, and after the knife was properly broken in I could tighten the pivot reducing the horizontal play while maintaing a smooth action. That is one reason I love the compression lock, it appears to be designed to wear well with the angles used in its construction.
Has anybody elses Para Military worked out its vertical blade play on its own?
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

No vert play in mine to begin with
redhawk44p

Post by redhawk44p »

I was lucky no vertical play in mine. I wish someone would publish a tutorial on tuning and tweaking the Para. Please you Para Gurus help the ignorant and needy out.
severedthumbs

Post by severedthumbs »

tighten the pivot some more.