What should I do??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dcrutch8

What should I do??

Post by dcrutch8 »

I just received my new Delica 4 yesterday! :) The new improvements are truly a step in the right direction. :cool: I got this knife to replace my now EDC FRN Delica 3.

When I opened the box yesterday I noticed that it had the number (068V) by the :spyder: on the blade. So I suppose that this is a limited edition of some kind? This was a suprise to get this.

My question is should I use this knife? I do have a small :spyder: collection but I didn't plan on getting a D4 to add to it. Will this knife be valuable in the future?

What would you do?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The number is a collector's club number. My personal opinion is that except in a few special cases, for example if you had all three edge types of the FRN Delica with the same number, the numbered ones will not be any more valuable in the future than the ones without numbers. On a user blade the number does make the knife easier to identify if lost or stolen. I must point out that not everyone feels the same, some agree with me, but some do think any collector's club numbered knife deserves to fetch a premium price, since the number does indicate early production.

As for what I would do, I have a couple CC#'d knives among my "users".
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Andre V

Post by Andre V »

Numbers are issued to collectors 1-200. if a collector withdraws from the collectors programme or has not specified variants, (the V behind the number), those numbered knives are sold as normal stock.

I personally like to have numbered knives, but i dont think that in most cases it would change the value. As deacon pointed out the collectors knives should be the first production run, so maybe one day it might be worth something.
"So many knives, so little pockets"
squad314

Post by squad314 »

Is there any chance that it's one of the folks' in the collectors club's knife,and it was sent to you accidently?
charlie

Post by charlie »

I agree with the Deacon, use the knife & enjoy it. The # is a variation indicating that the collector did not want to purchase this item (if that # is still active). I believe Spyderco knives should be used and check out all my collector knives by using them. I purchased them for my enjoyment and not to make a profit at some later date. The knives go to my Grandson (who is Spyderco familiarized).
:spyder: Collector #047.
C.P. Adams Jr.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I too would suggest, carry it, use it and truly enjoy. Looking at them is nice, but using them is better. I got a couple of numbered knives, more than one with the same number actually ;) . But I still carry and use them.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

Unless it's a hard to find knife, the number usually doesn't mean anything. I'd go ahead and use it, that's what it's meant for anyway. :cool:
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
TheKnifeCollector

Post by TheKnifeCollector »

Use it!! That sounds cool though, with the number.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
dcrutch8

Post by dcrutch8 »

I have decided that I am going to use the D4. It's going to become my new EDC! :D

I want to thank everyone for their input! This forum is a great! I have learned a lot about Spyderco and their knives over the last few months.

There are also many courteous and knowledgeable people here! :)

Thanks again!

Dan
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

I doubt anyone will agree with me and my quirky ways but I hate collectors #'s on my blades. If a knife arrives from a vendor with the CC # on it, I'll send it back for a unmarked blade. Hey, it's not my number. I got a Cento 4 with 015V on it, Mr./Ms. 015, where are you?
catamount

Post by catamount »

greencobra wrote:I doubt anyone will agree with me and my quirky ways but I hate collectors #'s on my blades. If a knife arrives from a vendor with the CC # on it, I'll send it back for a unmarked blade. Hey, it's not my number. I got a Cento 4 with 015V on it, Mr./Ms. 015, where are you?
I agree with you, although I'll tolerate it on a user knife.
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
Tim8557

Post by Tim8557 »

squad314 wrote:Is there any chance that it's one of the folks' in the collectors club's knife,and it was sent to you accidently?
The Mini Persian that I bought had a "Collector Club Number" on it. The dealer told me that this particular collector did not want his so the dealer was free to sell it. That explains how I was able to get a Mini Persian before they were generally available to the public.

Believe me, I like this knife so much it is my EDC 4 days out of 7. It gets used!
Tim Dowling
"Remember, Amateurs built the Ark.....but Professionals built the Titanic !"
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Tim8557 wrote:The Mini Persian that I bought had a "Collector Club Number" on it. The dealer told me that this particular collector did not want his so the dealer was free to sell it. That explains how I was able to get a Mini Persian before they were generally available to the public.

Believe me, I like this knife so much it is my EDC 4 days out of 7. It gets used!
:eek: Wow! This is a future classic...hard to imagine passing that little beauty up...congrats on the new blade. :cool:
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
Slvgx

Post by Slvgx »

I'd say use it. The value with the number is pretty much the same as without in most cases.
ASA NISI MASA
JasonWW

Post by JasonWW »

greencobra wrote:I got a Cento 4 with 015V on it, Mr./Ms. 015, where are you?
I just got a Serrated SS Endura with the same 015V number. Where are they? :p