Should I return my new Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jl1

Should I return my new Spyderco?

Post by jl1 »

I'm hoping someone here can tell me if it's common for the blade on a Spyderco lockback(Calypso Jr.) to wobble side to side while in the closed position. Everything is fine while the blade is open, but it's starting to tap up against the inside of the Zytel handle when I close it. Has anyone had this same experience with a Calypso Jr. or similar lockback? Thanks in advance!
Caleb

Post by Caleb »

I have a calypso jr. and i have this little problem i think this is normal: frn is flexible and i do the blade travel between the scales.
Dav

Post by Dav »

My SS Calypso wobbles whilst half-way open too. It's doing fine after 6 months of moderate-light daily carry.

Dav
Joe Talmadge

Post by Joe Talmadge »

jl, you have two posts here where you describe what you're seeing just a tiny bit differently. And I think you also posted in bladeforums, with again a slightly different explanation.

Since I'm not completely sure what you're seeing, here's what I'd say:

- if the blade is slightly off-center when closed, no worries.
- if the blade wobbles a little bit when closed, no worries.
- if the blade rubs up against either of the handles while opening or closing, send it back to Spyderco. I consider it unacceptable for the blade to rub the handles.

Joe
The Stare

Post by The Stare »

jl1 -- guess I'll say what Joe didn't. Enough already! Didn't look up the time of the Blade Forums post, but the two here are only 4 hours apart.

We appreciate that you're concerned about something with your Calypso Jr, but so far as I can tell/remember, you're getting the same answers to all 3 threads.

It doesn't sound to me like you're going to accept the advice of anyone that a bit of wobble when the knife is closed, or the blade not being centered is pretty common for this knife. Nor that if everything is okay when the knife is open that everything is probably okay. It has been plainly stated that if the blade rubs significantly against the side of the handle when opening, that you should call Spyderco or send it back. In the other post here, I stated that if the blade is so loose when the knife is closed that you should probably talk to Spyderco about sending it in.

A lot of people have tried to help you, but you're giving the impression of being a bit anal about this. If you don't trust the advice of anyone here, then call Spyderco, or send the knife back.

Please quit asking the same question. It gets tiresome.

(For what it is worth, Joe Talmadge is considered one of the most knowledgeable gurus on any of the forums. If you can trust anyone, it is Joe.)

Stare
jl1

Post by jl1 »

You got me! Yep, I posted on two different forums using different names and different stories just to confuse the same people whom I asked for help. Get real! I just read the post on BladeForums, but it definitely wasn't made by me. If I would've seen that post yesterday, I would've never needed to post here. The questions and details in the other post are very similar, but the internet is quite a big place these days! Before you start criticizing those who are new to this forum, why don't you first make sure you have the facts. If my two posts here told different stories, as Joe implied, then that's news to me. Please point out to me how the problems I described in the two posts weren't congruent... I posted a second time after the blade actually started rubbing up against the inside of the handle. If that offended or inconvenienced you in any way, then that wasn't my intention. I just got my first Spyderco a couple of days ago and was worried that something might be wrong with it. I figured this would be the best place to ask about it.

You also seem to be insinuating that I somehow don't appreciate or don't listen to the responses I've gotten... -another assumption on your part!-. In fact, I greatly appreciate all the comments and advice I've received. Apart from the allegations and criticism from you, everyone here has been very helpful. It's apparent to me that the vast majority of the posters here are good people who enjoy discussing knives and are more than glad to help others. Thanks again to all those who responded in a helpful manner.
chinook

Post by chinook »

jl1.....
As far as I know this forum is moderated only by Sal and his designated employees. Any other pseudo-authorities should be taken with a grain of salt (and maybe a shot of tequila followed by a bite of lime)

Disguised as a responsible adult
toast250

Post by toast250 »

jl1,similar problem with mine.Have been carrying mine (jr,plainedge) for about 2 months.Used very little.Its not hitting handle,yet.but is off center when closed.no play in blade though.
William
jl1

Post by jl1 »

Thanks for the responses guys. From what everyone has told me, the loose blade is nothing to worry about on the Calypso and is actually quite normal. Since it's only loose when closed, I'm not going to worry about it. The blade only touches the inside of the handle rarely and only when I close it a certain way, so that's no big deal either. After all, the Calypso Jr. is one helluva little knife and I'm really glad that I got it :-) I especially like the VG-10 blade and flat grind, which make it slice everything like a hot knife through butter. Now all I have to do is decide which Spyderco to get next... ;-) Thanks again to all those who helped.