What does your Dodo Lock Look Like?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PSU

What does your Dodo Lock Look Like?

Post by PSU »

I have handled a few Dodos in my time and I noticed a difference between some of its variants. The difference has to do with the shape of the part of the blade that comes in contact with the ball in the locked position. I am not sure what this part is called but I have attached a basic picture of what I am writing about. I have seen Blue SE Dodos that have this part with a flat end (like the knife on the right). I have also seen Black PE Dodos that have this part coming to a point (like the knife on the left).

I am wondering if the shape of this part is specific to Dodos of a certain color or blade type? Can someone tell me what this part is like on the other variants: Blue PE & Black SE?

Also, does anybody know why there are variations of this part?

Thanks,
Tom
Attachments
Dodo Config.jpg
Dodo Config.jpg (12.66 KiB) Viewed 1727 times
uhiforgot

never thought about that

Post by uhiforgot »

I have 2 dodo's, both PE, one blue and one black. Both have the first (pointy) configuration. I'm no engineer, but it doesn't seem like such a configuration would be limited to PE dodos for the sake of function. There was talk on a few different threads a while ago about the earlier generations of the dodo having problems with the ball bearing lock, but there has been no such problems with mine. Perhaps this pointy shape was created as part of a remedy for the problems with the locking mechanism.

And this may be something unique to the dodo as well. When I went to look at the D'Allara at a mall knife shop, I saw no such point on the bottom of the tang (at least that a partially functional memory can recall).

-Jeff

A very wise man once told me "Eat to live; don't live to eat." ...To my knowledge that's the only stupid thing he's ever said.
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

Both of my PE Dodos have the pointy configuration, I've never seen one with the flat tang. :confused:
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
jon shannow

Post by jon shannow »

i have the blue SE one and like most its a little pointy
not to much but its not flat
:spyder:
better to have a knife and not need it
than to need a knife and not have it
PSU

Post by PSU »

Hmmm...interesting. Thanks for the input. It sounds like the PE versions have pointy tangs.

I created the picture from memory and it might not be 100% accurate. But there is a distinct difference between the tangs of the knives that I mentioned. The tangs of the Black PE models came to a point while those of the Blue SE models had more of a flat tang. There may be some tapering of the tang but they definitely did not come to a point like the others. I'll see if I can take a picture of the knives later.

Could some SE Dodo owners describe their tang to me :cool:

Thanks
CopilotATS-55

Post by CopilotATS-55 »

sloped sides ,flat top
Kyle Decker wasn't here !!! :D :eek:

"Avatar by Dialex
REMEMBER
SFC SHUGART & MSG GORDON

Im still here, just busy being a Senior!!! :D
PNXC

PN
Wrestling

Never Forget 9/11

VMI
10'+3
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

It's not a PE/SE thing, it's a generation thing to me. I had one of the 1st run of Dodos, that one had a 'flat' tang. That series displayed some lock problems, so the tang was modified; made 'pointy'. Two dodos I got later on, all SE btw, have the pointy tang. I suspect the pointy tang creates more pressure on the lock interface, and more lock reliability.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
WOTANSON1

Post by WOTANSON1 »

[quote="Mr Blonde"]It's not a PE/SE thing, it's a generation thing to me. I had one of the 1st run of Dodos, that one had a 'flat' tang. That series displayed some lock problems, so the tang was modified]

I agree with Wouter, my SE Dodo which I bought shortly after the introduction of the model has a pointy tang so it's not a PE/SE thing.
Cheers,
Rob
International Order of the SpyderEdge-founding member

Faith, Folk and Family

If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
If this is written in English, thank a US Soldier

NOT my "president"

Proud Member of SOSAK
Slvgx

Post by Slvgx »

[quote="Mr Blonde"]It's not a PE/SE thing, it's a generation thing to me. I had one of the 1st run of Dodos, that one had a 'flat' tang. That series displayed some lock problems, so the tang was modified]

I think Wouter nailed it right on.
ASA NISI MASA
gabo

Post by gabo »

Black Se, Black PE and Blue PE all pointy
will_77

Post by will_77 »

Black PE I just received today, and it too has the "pointy" tang.
PSU

Post by PSU »

Thanks for the input guys. I think that Mr.Blonde is probably correct. It makes sense for the different configurations to be due to refinements from one generation to the next. I have used both the pointy and flat tangs and I have not noticed a problem.

Thanks again,
Tom
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Plus, my Polliwog has the same type of 'pointy' tang design.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram