Delica 4 SS - my new EDC!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spygent

Delica 4 SS - my new EDC!

Post by spygent »

Greetings, I'm from Croatia and I've just registered here!

I read this forum for a very long time - at least 2 or 3 years now. Bladeforums I read ever longer, I'm a member since Y2K. I didn't post much there, but I remember Mr. Sal Glesser once responded to my question about Sharpmaker. He's really amazing, not just because of his amazing knives!

Reason I decided to finish my lurking "career" and finally register is that brilliant little knife I just received today (from NGK, they are really great people).

I think it's just perfect for me and it will be my new EDC - replacing gray Calypso jr. PE.

I love everything about it:

1 ambidextrous four way carry (I prefer tip-up). This is my first SS spydie, finally lefty-friendly!
2. very classy look, beautiful new SS clip with torx screws.
3. slim SS handle, just perfect for my (medium) hand - feels ever better than Caly jr! New design is SO good that I actually like this handle better than any other with finger choil, including that one on UKPK (which is great)
4. VG10 blade with stronger tip, bigger spyderhole and better thumb rest.
5. heavier than FRN of course, but I absolutely don't feel it in my pocket!

Spydercos are THE BEST! (I hope there will be more fully ambidextrous models in the future. In fact, why not all?)

I bought my first Spyderco in 1998. - PE FRN Endura. Other Spydercos in my collection: Grey Caly Jr, Micarta Dyad Jr, Manix 80mm PE, UKPK and Atlantic Salt SE. I had also big Manix which I gave to my father, and ZDP Caly which I gave to my sister.

Only two non-spydies I have are Benchmade 710 (M2) and Camp Tramp.

I almost forgot - I also have got several SAKs and Opinels.

You guys are great here, all I know about knives I learned from you - or from people on bladeforums. Thanks! :)
Andre V

Post by Andre V »

Welcome, its always nice to have a new :spyder: nut join.
"So many knives, so little pockets"
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Welcome Spygent...no reason to lurk so long glad to have you out in the open. I eagerly await my new Delicas, but I'm glad to hear you like it so well.
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

Hello Spygent, and welcome to the forum! Sounds like you got some pretty good spyders in your collection, I love the Calypso Jr.'s.
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

Welcome to the forum(did it already in another thread, but it's polite to do it here too :p )

Not sure why all Spydercos aren't ambidextrous, but as I've said in the past, there are some model that just shouldn't have extra holes, for aesthetic reasons. Any of Ed Schempps designs with extra holes would just be cruel, as would any knife with micarta handles. It looks classy, and adding holes would detract from that.

SS, FRN, or G-10 handles could warrant ambi clips, and I think nearly all of them are. I just tried to see how many are ambi, and found it's easier to count the ones that aren't ambidextrous ;)
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
spygent

Post by spygent »

[quote="smcfalls13"]
SS, FRN, or G-10 handles could warrant ambi clips, and I think nearly all of them are. I just tried to see how many are ambi, and found it's easier to count the ones that aren't ambidextrous ]

I checked here. :)

OK, there are some new SS models that are ambidextrous, Poliwog, Adventura, ATR and Stretch, but still many more that aren't. ;)

SS: Police, Harpy, Dragonfly, Cricket, Kiwi, Scorpius, Navigator II, Volpe...

And there are G10 models that I like which aren't ambidextrous: Military and Para, Civilian.. And more from the past, like Wegner and Starmate etc.

BTW, thanks for (double) welcome! :)
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Welcome to the forums spygent, enjoy your stay ;)

Congrats on your new Delica :cool:
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

[quote="spygent"]I checked here. :)

OK, there are some new SS models that are ambidextrous, Poliwog, Adventura, ATR and Stretch, but still many more that aren't. ]

I was only counting current production, older Spyders are harder to find in lefty friendly variations. Spyderco's getting better :cool:
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
spygent

Post by spygent »

smcfalls13 wrote:I was only counting current production, older Spyders are harder to find in lefty friendly variations. Spyderco's getting better :cool:
Spyderco is good, better, best! :)

P.S. I made a mistake, Kiwi is of course clipless and therefore ambidextrous...
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Welcome Spygent. Tell me, how 'grippy' is the SS Delica 4 to you? It has some texturing behind the hole and a new clip design combined with some handle refinement, but does it get as slippery when moist like other SS spydies you may have?

THanks,

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
spygent

Post by spygent »

Mr Blonde wrote:Welcome Spygent.
Thanks!
Mr Blonde wrote: Tell me, how 'grippy' is the SS Delica 4 to you? It has some texturing behind the hole and a new clip design combined with some handle refinement, but does it get as slippery when moist like other SS spydies you may have?
This is my first SS knife and I already like it very much. I think handle shape is better than on previous Delica/Endura models. Thumb rest texturing surely helps and handle is more curved near the pivot - better guard and more secure grip.

The handle is smooth but I don't find it slippery at all. I don't know how well it will perform in wet conditions, but for my usual every day chores it will be just fine!
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

The Delica SS is the next knife I hope to get my hands on. I look at the improvements and see it as coming into that "perfect knife" range for me.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

spygent wrote:The handle is smooth but I don't find it slippery at all. I don't know how well it will perform in wet conditions, but for my usual every day chores it will be just fine!
Thanks for that, makes deciding to get one a little easier. :D

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
CopilotATS-55

Post by CopilotATS-55 »

Welcome Spygent
nice new addition :D
Kyle Decker wasn't here !!! :D :eek:

"Avatar by Dialex
REMEMBER
SFC SHUGART & MSG GORDON

Im still here, just busy being a Senior!!! :D
PNXC

PN
Wrestling

Never Forget 9/11

VMI
10'+3
dialex

Post by dialex »

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum. Enjoy your stay here and congratulations on your new fine knife. Everybody loves the Delica :)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

Welcome Spygent .......sweet knife that SS Delica4!...i'm probably gonna "test" out the FRN ones 1st! ;)
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

Welcome Spygent, I am thinking about some other s.s. models myself.(Besides my Spyder Karambit!)
raven

Post by raven »

Hello spygent, Welcome to the "Family" and Enjoy your Stay. Congrats on your New SS Delica 4. If they're anything like the New FRN models, thats Awsome. I plan on getting the SS PE real soon. Take Care. Remember, there are a bunch more to always add to the collection :D ;) .

God Bless :)

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.