Help! Snap-It or Remote Release

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
scolby

Help! Snap-It or Remote Release

Post by scolby »

I need advice. I am going to get either the Snap-It or Remote Release. I know I do not need both.

I am having a hard time deciding because it looks to me like the Snap-It hook and latch might be "in the way" after opening the blade.

The Remote Release seems like it will take a two motion release to de-shackle and the extend the blade. This takes away a little bit from the Spydieness of the one-hand quick open.

I generally will use the knife on camping trips. It will also see the very occasional sailing/snorkeling trip as well as the occasional snowmobiling adventure.

Thanks for any help.

"Chance favors the prepared mind" - Louis Pasteur
uncleknife

Post by uncleknife »

You are correct, on the snap-it the hook is covering part of the blade.
I would get the remote release just to prevent losing a good part of usable blade.
John F Jensen

Post by John F Jensen »

You will find that the Snap-It clip does not interfere with the blade in actual use.

The Snap-it is best for fast hooking or unhooking, but not good if hooking to large diameter object such as a thick rope. The rope can lodge behind the snap. Then it will take both hands to unhook.

The Remote Release is slower to hook and unhook but easier to release from large diameter items. Also, in dirty environments the Remote Release mechanism can get fouled. That is, dirt or mud in the spring/slide area.

It's really up to your needs. If none of the above is a problem, I would opt for the Remote Release.

John Jensen, www.johnfjensen.com
Gary

Post by Gary »

I respectfully, but strongly, disagree with John's assessment of the Snap-It. The snap is in the way of the knife blade. It covers about 1/3 of the blade rendering useless. I've had and used mine for three years hiking and backpacking... great knife, terrible snap placement. I'd try the remote release or rethink whether you need more than the clip.
GlockDoc

Post by GlockDoc »

Gary, sounds like you have been lucky with your snap-it. Mine came off my baton ring and fell in the lake the first week I had it. My vote goes to the Remote.
cutler34

Post by cutler34 »

I have both.The snap it is on my rescue leg bag and is clipped to a large split ring.The snap is too small to clip directly to my harness.The Remote release is clipped to my climbing harness gear loop.
I find the remote release easier to unhook with gloves on.The snap it hook does cover part of the blade but I feel it doesn't hinder it's cutting ability.I can cut an eleven millimeter abseiling rope in one stroke.
Hope this helps.

Regards
Ricki
info@outdooredge.com.au
Spyderco Club Member
scolby

Post by scolby »

Thanks for your replies.

Since this post, I have gotten both the Snap-It and the Remote Release. It took quite a while to track down the (discontinued) plain edge versions.

I like the positioning capability of the Snap-It better. It can go high or low on the body and can be removed and opened quickly. Unfortunately, I find the snap hook to be a bit in the way for deep cuts and/or cuts that carry all the way to the back of the blade. That said, it will make the great majority of cuts without being in the way.

The Remote release is a little more limited in positioning, since if you place it higher than your natural hand level, there is an awkward twist to get the knife ready to open. However, once down, I do like the RR better.

Both knives have the great 14mm opening hole (they were both made in 1996 and with G-2 steel). As I have said on previous posts, I would prefer to see the a 13 or 14 mm hole on as many Spydies as feasible.

sam the man..

Post by sam the man.. »

Man, that musta been a really tough choice!

Sam

have spydies will travel
scolby

Post by scolby »

Yeah samo, I know, but in the end I did the right thing and got both, now I won't have to guess.

The only thing is that my wife gets suspicious (about how much I am spending) when I start running out of places to put my knives.

Tom Percy

Post by Tom Percy »

While I have both knives, I do not like the hook placement on the Snapit. However, I have yet to find that it gets in way sufficiently to make it a problem.
On the other hand, be careful with the remote release. I have found that it can become 'un-hooked' when you least expect it to. I have temporarily lost mine a couple of times in dense bush, and now use the snap-it when the terain requires more security.

Both are nice knives and that spyder edge sure does cut.
kjellmusic

Post by kjellmusic »

The remote release is way better! It detaches so quickly and hangs right where you need it.
I just wish that Spyderco would come out with more remote release designs, I think that it's one of the most useful knife platforms there is. I found a limited edition style in a serrated sheepsfoot but can imagine several other Spyderco blade designs in this handle. I even submitted a stubby tanto remote release blade design that could use the current handle molds but I don't think that they ever really considered it.

(http://killaterrorist.com)
Gary

Post by Gary »

The Snap-It Curse...

Lost mine of my backpack on a hiking trek in the Grand Canyon. I only hope someone finds it and it introduces them to Spyderco...
GlockDoc

Post by GlockDoc »

As you may remember from my first post on this thread I lost my SnapIt several years ago. While passing through a small town a coupla weeks ago I stopped at a pawn shop to look for knives. I purchased an HK "Q" and because I had heard the SnapIt was going to be discontinued, the last SnapIt they had.

After I arrived home I was playing with my new "toys" and I noticed that the snap on the SnapIt was slightly loose. I called Mike Hayes at Spyderco the next morning and asked if they could tighten it. He said send it in. I don't know what was wrong with it but it must have been bad because they sent me a new C26SBKEMT to replace it! I must say that Spyderco service goes out of their way to take care of their customers! Thanks Mike, and Sal, and thanks to all who work for your fine company.

BTW, if you are in the market for a rescue type knife, the SnapIt EMT blade is plenty stout and plenty sharp! (The bleeding has stopped now, not to worry.)

"I just thought of something. What if this thing can read minds?" "He's gonna be real mad when he gets to me." THE THING