Sprint Run Suggestion...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Hannibal Lecter

Sprint Run Suggestion...

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

Dear Friends,

After a lengthy discussion with J D Spydo the other evening, I have a suggestion. How about a Sprint run of the now defunct hawkbilled Merlin with burgundy FRN handles and ZDP-189 steel; in fact, very similar to the Caly Jr.? Plain edge only would obviously be fine by me. :D

With the significant interest in ZDP-189, coupled with the renewed interest in hawkbills of late, I think it might be a project worthy of consideration. I would not recommend ZDP-189 for the Harpy - Spyderco has taken that design as far as I can imagine it with the CF handles and VG-10.

What do you think? Merlin PE in ZDP-189 and an unusual FRN color?

--------
Hannibal
---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Well Hannibal,

As long as they can make ZDP serrated, I'm in for it.

Furthermore I would very much like to have the FRN linered.

And please no bright colours :eek: . Maybe just dark green, blue or black.
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
TurnerIII

Post by TurnerIII »

ZDP Yojimbo. Dark green or Black G10. It would simply make my year! :D
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

Thats a great idea Hannibal, the Merlin is one of those "unjustly ignored" Spyders.
Havatoo

Post by Havatoo »

I'd like to see a sprint run of the Shabaria-in H-1. I missed out on getting one the first time around-my own fault-and think a totally rust proof version would be great.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Well, as long as there is no black coating on the blade, count me in. Can't think of the last time I passed on a PE front lock.

Do wonder if steel supply problems accounted for some of the delays in the ZDP-189 Delica, and if similar issues might arise in acquiring a sufficient supply for another sprint run.

Also wonder what effect the availability of the Tasman Salt would have on the market for a ZDP-189 Merlin. Seems that, in many ways H-1 makes more sense for a hawkbill than ZDP-189.

As an alternative, I wonder what it would take to get some PE VG-10 Harpies imported.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JD Spydo

Burgundy Collector Series?

Post by JD Spydo »

Now Turner has just brought up a suggestion I heard about a month ago but then it seemed to die. There was talk about a ZDP-189 Yojimbo. The Burgundy Calypso Jr. was such a smashing success that I think Doctor Lecter is right on track. Why not just have a "coming out party" for ZDP-189. Let these first introductions all be in Burgundy.

Just think what a total collector set that would make down the road. Already have the Burgundy Calypso Jr. Then add the Burgundy Merlin, then a Burgundy Yomjimbo ( except in G-10). I think they would do well to even make this upcoming Bob Lum Chinese ZDP-189 in Burgundy.

And then the Grandaddy of them all: The resurrection of the C-54 big CAlypso in ZDP-189. This is the big picture. But like Doctor Lecter suggests let's start small with the Merlin. :spyder:
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
TurnerIII

Post by TurnerIII »

JD - I think its a great plan! The ZDP Collectors Set :) Heck I would even go along with the burgundy color. Truly, such an idea warms my heart this cold Christmas Eve! :D
Hannibal Lecter

Doubtful...

My Dear Spydutch,
spydutch wrote:As long as they can make ZDP serrated, I'm in for it.
I don't think serrating ZDP-189 is an option due to its higher RC hardness - it is probably prone to chip. My sole basis for this is that neither the Delica nor Caly Jr. in ZDP-189 are available in SE versions.

--------
Hannibal
---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."
Hannibal Lecter

Yes!

My Dear Deacon,
The Deacon wrote:As an alternative, I wonder what it would take to get some PE VG-10 Harpies imported.
I have been asking this question for months now and still have no answer as to why this seems to be an apparently insurmountable problem. The Stainless PE Harpy is still in production in Japan and apparently readily available there. I would think that a Sprint Run of 1500 or so would be a worthwhile import for Spyderco with the recent renewed interest in hawkbills, especially in the PE versions.

--------
Hannibal
---------------------

redhawk44p

Post by redhawk44p »

Dr. Lecter with a ZDP189 blade!!! :eek: That is frightening.
I hope you get your sprint run. I have my fingers crossed. :)
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

Done.

When do they ship? :D
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
Spud Man

Post by Spud Man »

Sorry to hijack the thread, but what do you guys find so appealing about burgundy? I really can't understand why you like a pinky purpley color like that so much. :confused:

I also can't imagine them selling well outside of collector's circles. A lot of guys buy knives to make themselves feel macho, and a burgundy handle is not very macho.
Veritas liberabit vos.

Spuds are good.
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: I'm buyin' any pe hawkbill I can get my hands on! :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

Spud Man wrote:Sorry to hijack the thread, but what do you guys find so appealing about burgundy? I really can't understand why you like a pinky purpley color like that so much. :confused:

I also can't imagine them selling well outside of collector's circles. A lot of guys buy knives to make themselves feel macho, and a burgundy handle is not very macho.
Hello Spud!

The burgundy handles don't look as purpley pink in real life as they do in the pictures, but I wish we had some purple handles! I don't know about other guys/gals here, but I don't buy Spyderco to feel macho, I just like em :p .
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Hannibal Lecter wrote:My Dear Deacon,

I have been asking this question for months now and still have no answer as to why this seems to be an apparently insurmountable problem. The Stainless PE Harpy is still in production in Japan and apparently readily available there. I would think that a Sprint Run of 1500 or so would be a worthwhile import for Spyderco with the recent renewed interest in hawkbills, especially in the PE versions.

--------
Hannibal
Well Hannibal,

I confess, my knowledge of the actual process of building a knife is virtually non-existent. But, unless there is some difference in the blades (such as the angles of the hollow grind) beyond the cutting of serrations and the grinding of the edge itself, it would not appear to require a major change in the production line to accomplish this. So the "problem" must lie elsewhere. I suspect, it's probably a case of :spyder: not feeling there would be sufficient interest in one to warrant that type of quantity, and to tie up a SKU for it.

As much as I know that you, me, and a small group of the :spyder: knuts here want them, I must admit that I am nowhere near as optimistic as you are as to what would constitute a saleable quantity. You need look no further than the Forum Knife to see the discrepency between the "I want" noise level and the "cha-ching" of the :spyder: cash register. And right now, between the just released CF Harpy and the imminent release of the Tasman Salt, the demand for yet another PE hawkbill might be at an all time low.

For that reason, I was thinking more in terms of a batch of 100, or perhaps 200, commissioned by a dealer or distributor, assuming one could be found willing to take the gamble.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

Spud Man wrote:Sorry to hijack the thread, but what do you guys find so appealing about burgundy? I really can't understand why you like a pinky purpley color like that so much. :confused:

:spyder: I doubt Sal worries too much about the insecure small genital endowed crowd :p :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Hannibal Lecter wrote:My Dear Spydutch,

I don't think serrating ZDP-189 is an option due to its higher RC hardness - it is probably prone to chip. My sole basis for this is that neither the Delica nor Caly Jr. in ZDP-189 are available in SE versions.

--------
Hannibal
I was afraid of that already :(

Well, I'll just go for the Tasman/SE then :D .

For you and the others, I hope the sprint run will come ;)
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

I need a knife to match my shoes... :rolleyes:
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

The Deacon wrote:Well Hannibal,

I confess, my knowledge of the actual process of building a knife is virtually non-existent. But, unless there is some difference in the blades (such as the angles of the hollow grind) beyond the cutting of serrations and the grinding of the edge itself, it would not appear to require a major change in the production line to accomplish this. So the "problem" must lie elsewhere. I suspect, it's probably a case of :spyder: not feeling there would be sufficient interest in one to warrant that type of quantity, and to tie up a SKU for it.

As much as I know that you, me, and a small group of the :spyder: knuts here want them, I must admit that I am nowhere near as optimistic as you are as to what would constitute a saleable quantity. You need look no further than the Forum Knife to see the discrepency between the "I want" noise level and the "cha-ching" of the :spyder: cash register. And right now, between the just released CF Harpy and the imminent release of the Tasman Salt, the demand for yet another PE hawkbill might be at an all time low.

For that reason, I was thinking more in terms of a batch of 100, or perhaps 200, commissioned by a dealer or distributor, assuming one could be found willing to take the gamble.
I volunteer to commission 100 knives. I would distribute them via ebay or direct email, paypal or money order only, shipping via insured, tracked priority mail, international orders considered. Now if only Spyderco would consider me a dealer...hmmmm :spyder:
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.