excommunicated knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
fisherman

excommunicated knife?

Post by fisherman »

Why does the Bob Lum tanto get shown so little interest on this forum? or anywhere?

I personally am a fan of tanto knives and I think the Lum is as good as an example of a tanto folder as any. I can't figure out why it gets shown so little attenion. Does anyone have anything interesting to share about this knife?

fisherman
Tightwad

Post by Tightwad »

Sorry, tanto's leave me cold. Other then being different they have little to offer. My guess is that
you'll find others feel the same way which is why all the silence. If you like them that's all that
matter's really. Enjoy....
Tom Percy

Post by Tom Percy »

Although I own 3 Tanto's, I find their use more limited that more traditional styles.

A folding tanto would get as much use a say, an Endura ...

Just my $0.02 .....
fisherman

Post by fisherman »

I, also, would not use a lum near as often as a millie or delica, but never the less it is still a good knife.

Tightwad, I feel the same way you probally feel about the lum as I feel about the harpy and other hooked blade knives. Even though I do not care for the harpy personally, I can still tell it has what it takes to be a good knife.

fisherman
stu

Post by stu »

Fisherman,

I own the Lum tanto w/titanium scales. It is a wonderful knife. I have not used it much.

I have always leaned towards working knives, but this one is a work of art. It sounds wierd, but I really enjoy holding and admiring it.

That's my opinion.

stu
The Stare

Post by The Stare »

I'm one of those not particularly fond of tanto blade shapes. I think their usefulness is limited. However, at least the Lum tanto doesn't have the chisel grind, which further limits the tanto, IMO, especially when they put the edge on the wrong side, like EK knives.

But, more so than the tantos, I must confess that the hawkbills leave me totally cold. I've seen a couple customs that interested me, but at least 95% of hawkbills appear nearly useless for the types of knife use I employ. And, most of them have such weak tips, it seems to me one is just asking for breakage, and the wasting away of dollars that could be spent on knives more useful.

The only manufactured hawkbill that even comes close to tempting me is the CRKT Bearclaw.

Just my $.02 worth.

Stare
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Tanto blades just aren't as sheeple friendly. I've taken a tanto for survival with cadets, and was asked to put it away and bring out my skinning knife(same size) instead. Guess they don't like the utility shape as much as flowing lines.

I find all knives have thier uses. I'm starting more and more to like the tip on my cricket. Buy a harpy soon(spring/summer?) for that.
ftkinney

Post by ftkinney »

i tend to think that maybe the aveage spyderco EDU, at least on this form, save LEOs and the like, pefer a non-tanto blade i agree with stu, although i've only heald it in stores, it is a buetifully designed knife i think bob lum creates some of the most tastefull knives. i have a chinese folder and would gladly buy a larger one if produced and the maybe titum tanto but i don't know if i would carry it much. one reason miight be like VampyreWolf said i think it might appear more like a wepon that a tool to others, OTOH if i happened to be cutting into a lot unknown bags and boxes like poice and fireman do the tanto tip might prove to be the best oppion.

it sure looks nice though.

FTK
charlie

Post by charlie »

The purpose of a Tanto Blade is to provide maximum tip strength.
The Bob Lum custom collaborations are some of my favorites, I own both versions of the C46 and enjoy them a lot! If you want a tactical knife that's tough I would recomend this model. I carry them often and happy to state that the only use they see are to open boxes, cut cardboard, rope and open envelopes.

Edited by - Charlie on 7/30/2001 12:49:03 PM