Delica vs Wegner jr, ATS-55 vs ATS-34

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vampyrewolf

Delica vs Wegner jr, ATS-55 vs ATS-34

Post by vampyrewolf »

I use my larger knives for most things:

general duty, boxes, food prep... it's difficult to have both knives at the same time though.

I've been a spydie nut for 2yrs, with my Delica in Aug '99, just got my wegner about 1 month ago.

For my uses, what are the Pro/Con of these 2 knives and steels?

We all start with 10 fingers. Those with Spydies have 9 to spare, Still need a thumb. Good thing I still have 8 to spare...

Edited by - VampyreWolf on 7/28/2001 11:05:58 AM
Adr3nalin

Post by Adr3nalin »

I've been reading a lot about steels this past week, because i was wondering what my next knife purchase was going to be.

I came across a couple of threads that said, ats-55 is a cheaper version of the ats-34, and i think those guys are right.

http://www.nwcutlery.com/glossary.html

I checked the chart, and found that 34 contains a **** of a lot more molybdenum than 55, making it stronger, harder, tougher and more resistant to corrosion. on the other hand it is a trade-off, ats-34 contains less "unwanted materials" than ats-55, such as phosphorus and sulpher, but just like any knife material, there is no wonder material, they all have their trade-off's it all depends on what you need your knife for and what is more important to you

after reading this only a couple of days ago, i questioned myself and am still wondering why spyderco makes knives with ats-55 if they are supposed to make knives with the best metals?

and i'm not putting you guys with delica's and endura's down, because they are very good knives, infact i was about to buy one,..but they seem to be taking a lot of heat around the custom knife threads.

but i could be wrong, every manufacturer has their own way of doing things, and even the slightest difference in a steels' element content will produce a totally different steel effect. So putting more or less of an element doesn't always mean bigger better, just different.
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Why do they use ATS-55 even after all the negative comments? It's a great general use steel for users. it holds a reasonable edge, sharpens fairly easy... and is affordable to most of us.

We all start with 10 fingers. Those with Spydies have 9 to spare, Still need a thumb. Good thing I still have 8 to spare...
Adr3nalin

Post by Adr3nalin »

i'm really not sure why, that's a question i've been asking myself actually...

but if i were you, i'd hold up on the endura or delica, because they are getting rid of the ats-55 for next years production to make way for the vg-10 they will be using.

but like i said, it all depends on what you need it for, and the amount of money you have to invest. ATS-55 is for sure a very good knife material and a very very goooood quality material for the money.

you should read more about the way they MAKE it and find out (accurately) what its strenghts and weaknesses are before making your decision.

i've personally baught a starmate because i need the extra wear resistance and corrosion resistance it provides with its 440v. Unfortunately it does not provide much strength, meaning that it would not stand up to a prying test if i'd try it against say something like ats or aus. It's all about the trade-offs.
Adr3nalin

Post by Adr3nalin »

one more thing i forgot

Ats-55 is an all around use knife material
that is why they use it on the delica and endura, their most popular sellers.

good edge retention, strength and corrosion resistance.
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

I'm buying a Kershaw/KenOnion Boa(I'm sorry, I'm sinning and buying another brand) on Aug 3rd... that and the 204 I'm getting mid August will hold till I get my VG-10 Delica in the winter or spring...

Jeff/1911

Post by Jeff/1911 »

Is this for real?????

Are the Endura and Delica REALLY going to be produced using VG-10???

Any other models, currently using ATS-55? Such as the Police model, Dragonfly, etc???

I have to know this!

Jeff/1911.
Tom Percy

Post by Tom Percy »

A current posting noted that VG10 will be used in the fall for the Endura, but I cannot recall what others are to be included.

Sal, can you expand on this any......thanks,
Tom Percy

Post by Tom Percy »

Jeff/1911

In a thread called: "Feedback on AUS8 Endura?"

Sal made the following entry:
"Hi Alan & Joe. We made AUS-8 (8A) Enduras for about 2 years before changing to ATS. We were having trouble getting GIN I at the time.

The current change to the Endura is flat ground on what is now hollow ground (not flat ground to the spine like the Calypso jr). This will increase tip stength.

Later this summer, the Endura and Delica will be going to VG-10.

Sal"

Just another to add to my selection .....
The Stare

Post by The Stare »

That's great news! I'd read the thread before Sal commented, and had not gone back to it. Guesss I better do that more often!

I really like the looks of the Enduras and Delicas, and I know they're the soul of Spyderco, but partly because of the steel, and the fact I really don't need any more knives, I'd never really thought about buying either one. Since I'm drifting towards a bit smaller knives, think I'll be getting me a Delica in VG-10.

Stare