Adding grip to a stainless handle?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Nice job that, Jazz...
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

The easiest is definitely the grip tape. I used gun tape on the FRN scales on my pacific Salt and Tasman, as they aren't very "grippy" in my hand. They added that "Grippy" feel I wanted, and they stayed in place just fine. Its all about how you prepare the surface before applying. Which is too say, I just scrubbed the scales with soap and water and dried them thoroughly prior to applying.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
Officer Gigglez
Location: Originally out of Arizona, currently live in Missouri.

Post by Officer Gigglez »

Jazz wrote:I did this with diamond Dremel tips - round for the stippling, and barrel for the big jimping. It gives a big grip improvement.

Hope this helps.
Excellent work sir.
Spyderco Knives (in order of obtainment):
-Tenacious, Combo edge
-Tasman Salt, PE
-Persistence Blue, PE
-Pacific Salt, Black, PE
-Delica 4, Emerson Grey
-DiAlex Junior
-Byrd SS Crossbill, PE
-Endura 4 Emerson Grey
-Byrd Meadowlark 2 FRN, PE
-Resilience
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Jazz, that is some seriously beautiful work there! Wow! :) Patience and a steady hand there for sure. Did you hold the knife in some sort of jig for doing those mods? That should be a Dremel commercial. Cheers, Radioactive
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Thank you, guys. A big yes to the patience thing. Go too fast a wreck all your work. I just held it in my hands. Took quite a while. Plus all the sanding and polishing. It's worth it, though.

Stuart, congrats on 1000 posts. :)
- best wishes, Jazz.
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

Jazz wrote:Thank you, guys. A big yes to the patience thing. Go too fast a wreck all your work. I just held it in my hands. Took quite a while. Plus all the sanding and polishing. It's worth it, though.

Stuart, congrats on 1000 posts. :)
Very beautiful work! Been wanting to get a dremel kit myself! Which do you recommend? :)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Another cheap solution is to buy some of that rubber 'paint' that is used to coat hammer handles and other slippery tools. It comes in a can and is applied like paint. You can dip your scales or paint them with a paint brush (cheap one). I have done firearms, knives, hammers, handlebars, and many things with this stuff. Easy to touch up and it comes in colors. You get this at your local hardware store, though Walmart has had it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

eric m. wrote:Very beautiful work! Been wanting to get a dremel kit myself! Which do you recommend? :)
Thank you. :) I didn't know they had a variety. Mine came in a box with a few bits and a big, long extension (which I never use). Just get one that feels decent in your hand - its gonna be there a while. ;)
- best wishes, Jazz.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Wow, you did a great job.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

eric m. wrote:Very beautiful work! Been wanting to get a dremel kit myself! Which do you recommend? :)
Great work Jazz. Beautiful knife. For a Dremel I recommend the 4000 or the largest one that uses a battery (8200 I think). They have LOTS of attachments. I have the workstation, 90° angle, circle cutter, 3' flex shaft, several others. For accessories (bits) there are several great places to get them. Widgetsupply.com has tons and also "generic" bits at a huge savings to the Dremel products. Quality is good also. Cept for the sanding bands. The cheap ones tear apart sooner but they are real cheap. Also, "genethegeneral" on ebay has great prices on accessories, even the tungsten carbide bits which are needed for cutting/grinding harder things like rock, ceramic, etc. Diamond bits are great too. I use mine A WHOLE LOT when making handle scales. I started a "Dremel" thread in off-topic a while ago. Check there for bits of info and if you get one let us know anything you want. Anyway, great work Jazz.

Here is a Bug I epoxied AZ ironwood to the SS handle. Added lots of grip even for a knife this size.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

/\ That bug looks sweet. I'm gonna check out that place for bits. They're expensive. Thanks.
- best wishes, Jazz.
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

Thanks for the information! Those scales look very good! Looks like a different knife altogether! :)
CanadaDude

Post by CanadaDude »

dialex

Post by dialex »

224477 wrote:Hiya Alex, could you post pics? Is it the one, what Anso makes on his FBs?
Sure. Paul (The Deacon) has a couple of those beauties: http://paulberetta.com/blanchard.htm
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.