Calypso JR in fish scale FRN. VG-10 steel

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mike V.

Calypso JR in fish scale FRN. VG-10 steel

Post by Mike V. »

Just bouught one at a show. It was used, but looks new and had the box. Have these been out a while? I'm kind of new to Spyderco's and had not seen one yet with the fish scale. It's a very attractive knife and I am told that the VG-10 is awesome stuff.
Zoro

Post by Zoro »

I know one thing you will not find a better steel in any production knife I have tried many knives with many types of steel but I always go back to the VG-10 steel knives! I wish Spyderco would bring out more knives with this steel.

Edited by - Zoro on 7/23/2001 10:12:22 PM
Tightwad

Post by Tightwad »

Hi, I'm a huge fan of the entire Calypso line (the large calypso is now out of production) and find that
the Calypso jr.lwt. (the one you bought ) is an amazing little knife. For my .02 cents it has to be the
best everyday urban utility knife on the market. The knife is a wolf in sheeps clothing for work it can
do. The vg-10 is some of the best knife steel I've ever owned cutting like it doesn't know it's supposed
to get dull .....sometime. This knife is now part of my daily carry along with my leatherman / maglight.
With these tools we get most jobs done easily. You picked a good one....Enjoy!
Mike V.

Post by Mike V. »

Thanks for the feedback. I may have to find myself a Calypso to go with the JR.
Tightwad

Post by Tightwad »

Hi, A word of caution about the large calypso ....It may be one of the best slicers on the planet ,but,
that long 4' flat ground blade won't take much prying. It also has a bit of a problem with visuals
for other people. They really notice that you have a knife in your hand with it. Not so the little
calypso jr, lwt. . If you do mangage to find one buy it. For my money there is no other knife as
elegant or useful for cutting. The large calypso is a joy to own.
Jeff/1911

Post by Jeff/1911 »

I too really treasure my large, plain edged Calypso with it's flat ground VG-10 blade and Micarta handles. They truly are beautiful knives. Jeff/1911.