DODO users... what for ?!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Daylight46

DODO users... what for ?!

Post by Daylight46 »

Hello Dodo users, and others,

I've got the great Manix, and I love it so much compare to my Delicas and Enduras that I was looking for another S30V/G10 Spydie... Thanks to this forum I've discovered the existence of the Manix 80mm, so that's wonderful news, I'm gonna get it for sure.
However, before finding about this lil'Manix, I've done a search on Spydies S30V steel knives and found this weird-funny-crazy little Dodo, and it really retain all my attention, because its crazy blade shape full of belly looks quite attractive to me !

The thing is, at first sight it looks "limited", so I was wondering if you guys, Dodo users, could tell me more about what they are doing with this knife ! Even if it's simply for cutting cardboard or opening boxes, I'm really curious...

I guess I'm just looking for some reasons to get this little weirdo !

Thanks for all the comments !
Nicholas
BlackNinja

One great littli/big knife

Post by BlackNinja »

This knife is perfect for cutting boxes, carpet, linoleum, detail work, (windows, doors, moulding) luan, great if you have to really pull to cut, etc... It has some of the best ergonomics on a knife that I've held. You can really apply pressure when needed. Great SD knife. The list goes on and on for the uses of this beauty. It's just a wonderful little/big knife. The shorter answer would be: What can't it do? BTW, welcome to the Forum and enjoy your stay! :D Others will be here to help me out!
Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh;
Let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones;
Let him fracture your bones and you take his life!
-Bruce Lee-
----------------------------------------------------------------

-Joe
RLR

Post by RLR »

Turn it into a wharncliffe and watch it push cut like a razor! Boxes, chisel work, everything... great small user.
Axlis

Do the DoDo!!!!

Post by Axlis »

Hello Nicholas, and welcome to the forums! The Dodo is one of those knives that you really have to hold and use to understand. I too had the same worries as to what one would be good for, but since I've got one,(mine's a black Plain Edge) it's almost always in my pocket. The combination of the belly and the hawkbill makes it great for a lot of applications. Its built like a little tank, astonishing ergonomics and can handle practically ANY EDC chore you might have in mind! One thing it excells at is intricate whittling and carving, oh yes, and it is a very good box cutter :) . The only downfall is it's limited food prep in the kitchen, but I got another spydie for that anyway ;) . Trust me, if you get a Dodo, you won't be disappointed! :spyder:
Daylight46

Post by Daylight46 »

Well, I must say that it sounds very tempting... I'm gonna wait for few more opinions and I'll make my mind after that...

To tell the truth, the only tiny little thing that "bothers" me is its 3 mm blade thickness. I would have like 4 mm as the others heavy/duty S30V/G10 spydies...

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience !
Daylight46

Post by Daylight46 »

And thank you for your welcome !!! I've been a Spyderco addicted since several years but didn't know about this forum !
LJK

Post by LJK »

Welcome Daylight46:
The Dodo is a truely an amazing knife. I carry a SE one all the time and teamed with a SAK I have any and all cutting chores covered. About the only thing it does not excell at is cutting a thick loaf of crusty bread or spreading butter. As far as 3mm vs 4mm no worries. That 3mm piece of s30v at 2 1/8" is the perfect thickness for the blade and handle design. Could not be better.
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

I have to say one more thing :) If I had to choose any knife to show someone what Spyderco is all about, I would choose the Dodo. It embodies all of what makes us love this knife company: Well thought-out design, intelligent ergo's, great construction, and endless usefulness. Just hang out for a little while, you'll hear some more testimonials from our fellow forumites. ;) I wouldn't worry about the blade thickness. It makes for a very slim pocket carry, and the wire-clip is the best, no worries about losing this thing. :spyder:
CopilotATS-55

Post by CopilotATS-55 »

welcome :D :spyder:
Kyle Decker wasn't here !!! :D :eek:

"Avatar by Dialex
REMEMBER
SFC SHUGART & MSG GORDON

Im still here, just busy being a Senior!!! :D
PNXC

PN
Wrestling

Never Forget 9/11

VMI
10'+3
CKE

Post by CKE »

The Dodo is one of my TOP 5 Spydies for carry and use. It is a scalpel...razor sharp and ready to cut. It fits great in your front pocket, the ball lock is rock solid(though they did have trouble with some but remedied that) the ergos are almost second to none. I have the blue(both SE and PE) and it is a great non threatening colour. The Rev-S shape is very versatile. I can't say enough good things about it. It has great SD capabilites if you so require.
Overall it is one FINE :spyder: I say get it!!!!!

Take Care and welcome to the Forum. Hope you enjoy your stay.

Craig
Keep Fighting the Good Fight!
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Apart from the uses already mentioned, the Dodo is the best "opener of everything". It is the knife to have for opening the mundane: bags, parcels, boxes, zip ties you name it. No package or product remains closed with the Dodo.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
LJK

Post by LJK »

I forgot to mention pocket carry. One of the Dodo's strongest points for me. It carreis low in the pocket and with its wire clip it does not look like a knife in your pocket. Also its 2 1/8 blade length make it legal everywhere. (pretty much) A unique and excellent little big knife. You can't go wrong getting one.
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Welcome :cool:

You've gotta see it and feel it, then you'll know it's one helluva little big knife ;)
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
Woody

Post by Woody »

Daylight46 wrote:Hello Dodo users, and others,

I guess I'm just looking for some reasons to get this little weirdo !

Thanks for all the comments !
Nicholas

Why do you need a reasion other than it is a Spydie... :cool: I too have the DODO on my wish list... With all the reviews I have read I am leaning twards the PE... And of course in blue...

Welcome to the fourm... Enjoy......
Irish Lager

Post by Irish Lager »

The dodo is a prime example of what spyderco stands for. i have a blue pe w/ a lanyard spike installed thanks to Dodge. It is one of my main SD choice carries, and when i have used it at work for utility work, it out cuts any knife near its size or often larger. I personally found i prefer to have the dodo ride clipless in the RB Pocket. You cant go wrong w/ one. Pick one up, you will thank us later.
J
Say what you mean, Mean what you say! :spyder:

Daylight46

Post by Daylight46 »

Why blue ?! I must say that I love the look of my Manix, and when I was looking for a smaller folder, all I wanted from it is to be as sturdy and as good looking as the Manix.
The blue Dodo seems... I don't know, I guess every one has its own taste, but I guess as it's a weird little knife, I can accept a weird color too ! I don't know yet... What I know now after reading those enthusiastic posts about the Dodo is that I might want the Dodo even more than the Manix 80mm...
Daylight46

Post by Daylight46 »

I'll wait for few more comments during the night, and if there are others fully enthusiastic people with the Dodo, I'll order it tomorrow, promise !
Irish Lager

Post by Irish Lager »

My reason for a blue rather then black was simple. If the knife were to be used in a SD situation, every non knife person i showed the blue dodo to said it was cute and it didnt seem so much like a weapon (stupid thought in my book). They also said the black was cute but they found the blue more friendly. I get a lot of both knife and non knife people coming through work, and when i worked cutlery i took every oppertunity to see what people thought.
J
Say what you mean, Mean what you say! :spyder:

BlackNinja

Post by BlackNinja »

Daylight, this is one of my favorite :spyder: 's. I will bet it at least doubles in value within the next few years. (If it is gonna be discontinued :( ) You will not be sorry for getting one. I own a black PE. Looking to get another!
Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh;
Let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones;
Let him fracture your bones and you take his life!
-Bruce Lee-
----------------------------------------------------------------

-Joe
Daylight46

Post by Daylight46 »

Well, I understand your point, and I guess you are right for this...

If it really doesn't bother you, would you mind posting few pics of your blue Dodo ? Or anyone else ? Because the picture on Spyderco web site isn't "clear" enough, so I would really appreaciate to see several faces of the blue Dodo if it's fine with you.

Thank you for your help and your time answer my questions, I guess I'm almost becomming a Dodo lover too...