FRN Delica--one tough little knife (better than Native)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Shadow Hunter

FRN Delica--one tough little knife (better than Native)

Post by Shadow Hunter »

I just came out of the field the other day from a 3-day survival/evasion exercise. I took three knives with me, my EK Commando Custom Bowie (given to me by my wife after I finished Free-fall jump school), my EDC FRN Delica, and my FRN Native. The intent was to use my EDC as much as possible during the exercise, compare it to the Native, but also have my trusty EK just in case I broke the Delica.

During that time I used the Delica with batoning to cut 2-3" limbs to make a shelter, used it to split wood in preparing animal traps, cut parachute panels for signaling and shelter, cut up a parachute harness to improvise a pack, litter, etc. Later, I found some pitch and used the Delica to split the hardened wood, used the back of the knife to scrap together a combustible pile (kind of a real-world version of a spine whack), then again used the back of the knife on some rocks to create a spark--had a pretty good fire going in no time. The knife was used to harvest edible plants as well as cut wire (from the chute harness) to build squirrel traps. Thanks to the Delica, I dined on squirrels (skinned and quartered with the Delica) and vegetables that evening before the evasion portion of the exercise started the next night.

But, what about the Native? :confused: I actually started the survival portion of the mini-exercise using the Native, but several times during batoning to collect limbs for shelter, the lock gave way and the knife closed. I again used the back of the Native's blade when striking rocks to create a spark to ignite the pitch shavings, but the lock failed again. I think that the softer lever spring used in the Native has a lot to do with this. Just to be sure, I took both the Delica and the Native and spine whacked them both against the tree next to shelter. The Native would take about 3 solid whacks and snap shut! The Delica never flinched at such treatment. ****, I must have whacked the little knife about a dozen times!

When I came out of the field, it took about 20 minutes to sharpen the knife (Didn't sharpen the Native because it will never be carried by me again) and get a few nicks out of the blade. Now it looks no worst for the wear.

Great Job Sal! I can't wait for the Delica 4!
CopilotATS-55

Post by CopilotATS-55 »

wow :eek: that is a good reveiw i gotta get me a Delica 4 :D
Kyle Decker wasn't here !!! :D :eek:

"Avatar by Dialex
REMEMBER
SFC SHUGART & MSG GORDON

Im still here, just busy being a Senior!!! :D
PNXC

PN
Wrestling

Never Forget 9/11

VMI
10'+3
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

I love hearing these testimonials! I hope that's not a common problem with the Native, cause I was looking forward to getting one :( . I've never been that rough with my Spyder's, but if I Had to chose two it would be my Para and the Dodo. Thanks for sharing your story with us!
Tim8557

Post by Tim8557 »

Excellent real-world test and review. It speaks Very highly of the Delica, which I do NOT own. I'm on the pre-order list though for the ZDP Delica, whenever that's going to be released (rumor changed the date from January to April).

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Maybe you could even share the squirrel recipe.
Tim Dowling
"Remember, Amateurs built the Ark.....but Professionals built the Titanic !"
LJK

Post by LJK »

Battoning a Delica! ****! I'd have never consideried it. Enjoyed the post, but I cringe when I think about that sweet little Delica getting wacked on its spine with a bigass branch :eek:
LJK

Post by LJK »

Yea, now that you mention it my Native does seem to have less tension when opening it. Does anyone know why that is?
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Wait a minute, you mean I don't need a Frodo sized, 3 pound piece of sharpened pry bar to survive? :eek: :rolleyes: A common pocket knife will do my chores! :p Yeahhhhhhh. Great review, thanks for sharing.
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

nice review man.
2edgesword

Post by 2edgesword »

Shadow Hunter

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Delica and Native. While I've always preferred the Native over the Delica (feels like more knife in your hand) your experience put both knives through there paces is an eye opener.
Certified Instructor - Martial Blade Concepts

"The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men, and if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it possible an empire can rise without His aid?" Benjamin Franklin
MojoRising

Post by MojoRising »

I'll give you $5 for that Native.
Shadow Hunter

My hat is off to Sal and Delica users

Post by Shadow Hunter »

I must admit, I never knew what the Delica was capable of until after this, but my hat is off to the designer, Sal, and this little knife. By the way, one of my troops took the Native off of my hands today. But I told him, "next time we go to the field, leave that **** thing in the gear locker!"
tiagre

Post by tiagre »

Great, I just bought 2 "natives' from Wally world! :mad: .
I don't think it will encounter any exotic use other than
opening my mails and boxes :D .
Awesome review! :)
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Great review Shadow Hunter, I never thought that the little (filmsy?) Delica would proof such a sturdy tool. At the moment I only have a CF Delica and I don't think I would dare to use it as hard as you did. The CF Delica looks even more fragile than the FRN one and I don't think it will hold up with such hard use.

I think I will be careful with my Native III then.
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
DanS

Post by DanS »

Great review, its good to know these knives get used as more than letter openers and nail cleaners.

Maybe you just had a dud of a native? I think its POSSIBLE that its not a reflection of how all of them would perform.
thom lambert

Post by thom lambert »

Yes, the Native is a menace. As a service to you, and Spyderco, I am doing my own mini-recall. Anyone with a native who would like to get the dangerous thing out of their life, please send it to me. I will use....I mean destroy it appropriately.

Seriously, don't throw those natives out. I have two that I abuse on a regular basis with no fear of lock failure. After reading this, I just spine-whacked them both with no problems.

Thom
Chucula

Post by Chucula »

as much as the story provides a valid viewpoint, i think its somewhat foolish to judge the knife when you are not using it as a knife. for example, there are special firestarting blocks you can buy and keep on your keychain/knife and use those instead of whacking the back of the knife. if you know you will need to make fires with just a knife, you could at least prepare in advance and not plan on abusing your knives. no matter how tough a knife is, abuse will destroy it.

firestarting stuff: http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/754d/
thats one that i can think of. for $15 you can easily start fires and not need to bash up your delica
i.v

Post by i.v »

great review, the delica is great.
but i also say don't throw out your natives yet :)
that native was most likely just a rare faulty one, i have been 'abusing' my native for over a year & a half now, still as good as new without the slightest hint of failure.
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

A great story, enjoyed reading it. Wonderful to see the Delica held up to all that, but do I have to point out both weren't designed as survival gear? It's good to know my daily driver, a Delica, will help me out in a pinch if I get lost on a day hike and need to get through the night, but in my younger days, when tripping through the woods on a 3-5 day pack in, I'd still like to have my 3lb Frodo in tow. :)
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

Great review Shadow Hunter. I like reading about these "real world" because it's nice to know what the capabilities of individual models are.
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis
druid

Post by druid »

This is certainly a valuable testimonial.
However it is a very small sample only one of each knife.
Any number of variables have crept in some sort of wear and tear on the native, or something stubborn and inconspicuous following lock mechanism.
I have handled a USA made frn recently native and I found it to be a very well constructed knife.

On a side note :spyder: has selected the native is their contribution to the Armed Forces. I do not think they would have done had they not felt secure in the construction and lock strength of this model. By contribution I mean they have given a fair number of these knives to members of the Armed Forces.
why