FRN Delica--one tough little knife (better than Native)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Shadow Hunter

To Chucula

Post by Shadow Hunter »

I admit, neither knife was designed as survival gear, just as neither knife holds a MBC lock rating, but it doesn't stop one from using/practicing with either knife in that manner. As far as fire starting is concerned, I've taught survival to aircrews and special operators in my past and they are limited on what we allow them to have--fixed blades are often frowned on because students fall and tend to poke themselves severly with those things. :) By the way, they are also not allowed any fire starting equipment! So I still like to use folders when I can (I just thought I would find out what my Delica and Native were capable of) but not being limited to just a folder during the exercises, I still carry my combat knife (just in case)--Funny how I never had to use the thing isn't it.

As for the Native, I'm not exactly sure what was up with that little thing, but during a search for lock ratings I did find that the Native's lock is rated somewhere around 270 in/lbs while the Delica is 290 in/lbs. Is that enough to make a difference? It did this time.
druid

Post by druid »

What do you know my native also failed a hard spine wack tests.
why
2edgesword

Post by 2edgesword »

ShadowHunter

"I've taught survival to aircrews and special operators..."

Where do I sign up for the next course?
Certified Instructor - Martial Blade Concepts

"The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men, and if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it possible an empire can rise without His aid?" Benjamin Franklin
gabo

Post by gabo »

I went through USAF survival school (in 1979)with only a Swiss army and a Buck knife.
I find carrying a sharpened prybar is a bit overated. The weight penalty is a bit much when considering all the other non optional mission equipment we carried.
Back at my unit, I was very pleased with the Cold Steel SRK, not too long that it would dig into my side sitting in a parachute harness for hours.
Today, i would pick the Para or manix and probably just leave the fixed blade home.
Shadow Hunter

To 2edgesword

Post by Shadow Hunter »

It's pretty easy to get into a course 2edgesword, just head to your local recruiter and sign up to be on combat aircrew or special operations. Once you make it through the pipeline, I've got a bunch of comrades that will happily hook you up (grin). By the way, if you have a choice, the one taught out of Fort Bragg is a real fun time (not).

I've moved back to a specialized unit so no longer get to have the pleasure of engaging with students, but I understand there are several civilian schools that will happily bone you up on your skills if you are interested.

Best of luck and long live the Delica!