Why do you carry?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
WOTANSON1

Post by WOTANSON1 »

To cut things, simple as that. :D

Rob
International Order of the SpyderEdge-founding member

Faith, Folk and Family

If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
If this is written in English, thank a US Soldier

NOT my "president"

Proud Member of SOSAK
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

To make my pants fit better ;)

With so much other junk in my pockets and on my belt, the my knives help balance my pants so they don't start drooping on one side :cool:

And because I open boxes quite often at work, and that's just easier to do with a knife, than my finger nails.

And because I carry money to and from work, and can't carry a handgun to due to strict carry laws. Better to have some steel, than no steel at all.
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
Gerard Breuker

Post by Gerard Breuker »

Because it is the first thing I miss if I don't. The world is full with things that are packed in a way that is supposed to be easy to open bare handed. Never works for me though.
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

d.g.g. I hope I NEVER see THAT kind of spike , either :D
thenick

Post by thenick »

I carry because I love knivessssss :D
.:: TheNick ::.
TheKnifeCollector

Post by TheKnifeCollector »

I have carried a knife everyday for the last 31 years. It is a tool to me. I can not tell you how many times I have need to use the knife I was carrying for something; cutting whatever open. I carry a knife out of habit.
Texas guy

Post by Texas guy »

I grew up a Boy Scout, and was showed how to properly use and carry a knife from a very young age. I think I still have my Whittlin' chip laying around somewhere (It's a certificate a Scout gets when he finishes knife training). My father was one of the Scoutmasters, and gave me my first knife when I was just old enough to use it, and I grew up camping alot, and don't even get me started how often you use a knife in the woods.
A knife is the first tool a Scout learns to use, and it stuck with me.

edited to say: I have never really considered a knife a good self defense tool. Thats why I own a Glock .40 :cool:
NorthShore

Post by NorthShore »

I've always had some kind of knife even as a kid. I started carring my first Spyderco in the late eighties.

It's like wearing a watch for me. You don't want to be always asking people for the time, it's much easier just to look at your wrist. :D
JDEE

Post by JDEE »

Because I need too simple as that. I normally carry at least 3 or 4 ranging from a Vicnox Classic on my keyring, a leatherman on my belt, a Spyderco in my pocket often a fixed blade. The work I do and the environment I live dictates the wearing of a knife but even if I wasn't in that situation I would still carry one knife on me because you can bet the one time I don't is when I will need it most.
Jdee
Have a Knife Day
rusticforge.com/knives Australia
Andyjd

Post by Andyjd »

Because I can, because I like knifes, because I know the knife will stay locked open and be sharp
Shopping list: Tenacious CE, D'allara
EnRoute: :(
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Because I am not POTUS, nor am I wealthy enough to afford a manservant to carry it for me, and would probably be too **** independent to let him do so if I could. Because not every bag of junk food can be opened neatly without one. Because not every loose thread can be pulled loose without causing the garment it is dangling from to disintegrate. Because our locally grown NY State apples taste great, but I have yet to find a self peeling one, muchless a self quartering and coring one. Because it allows me the luxury of deciding whether to assist someone too PC to carry a knife or take fiendish delight watching them struggle for ten minutes to accomplish a task which even a poorly maintained blade would have made short work of in ten seconds. Because I'm one of those stereotypical males who so hates to ask for help that I would drive around in circles for hours rather than ask directions.

I suppose I could address the issue 99% of the time by just keeping a knife or two in my desk at work, another one or two in my car, plus of course a raft of them at home, but that still leaves those little awkward moments, like the wedding where the strings tied around the necks of the little bags of rice were double knotted BEFORE the bows were added. Not to mention that, even in the hotbed of political correctness and bleating heart liberalism in which I live, the need to de-animate someone may arise.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
STR

Post by STR »

For me a folding knife is as much a part of my wardrobe as my shoes. I love folders and have always had a love for them since my earliest memories.
I mainly carry one because I have so many things I need a knife for in my own daily routine. I have friends that need knives too but use their keys for things I use a knife for. I have never understood that logic, I guess they are some of the sheeple that make up this wacky world we live in.

My everyday knife has to have certain things to make it rate as a carry knife or user. It should be capable of lots of food prep work because I do that kind of stuff all the time with my folder. If it can slice and dice and spread peanut butter as well as make up some kindling and open packages, cut tape, dog food bags, cat food bags, and even open a can of beenie weenies in a pinch, or field dress and help in skinning out small game it is a good start. It should be capable of being used for self defense in a pinch also but that is a minor issue since I carry a gun. Even still it is one of the criteria I always look for in my EDC choices. The lock should be strong and reliable for just such a case as well as for those beenie weenies that need released from their container every now and again when the wife ain't lookin'!. :D .(since I don't watch my cholesterol that much she always does it for me you see.) The blade should hold and take an edge well, and be equipped with a thumb stud or opening hole. It should have a pocket clip that rides low so it hides from the sheeple that scare at the sight of it and be easy to not only open and close with one hand but also easy to put on the pocket with one hand and as an added plus it always helps if it is made in the good ole USA.
It is not necessary to do extraordinary things in life but only to do ordinary things extraordinarily well.

STR's Blog
Zeppelin

Post by Zeppelin »

I carry for several reasons. I just flat out like knives. I like to show off what I've got to people I think might be interested. I'm a little paranoid, and in an emergency I'd like to be able to cut a seatbelt, a piece of rope, or something else that might mean life or death to myself or someone else. They're handy when you need to open a box or package. And I just don't feel complete without one.
Beat13

Post by Beat13 »

Quite simply because I have come to feel unprepared without one on me. And they are like an acessory as well. It can be a good stress ball too, who doesnt like reassuring g10 scales and s30v in their pocket?