new collector & one question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sliced

new collector & one question

Post by sliced »

Hi guy's.

I'm a rather new knife collector and have one Spyderco currently, it's a Wayne Goddard in ats-55 steel lock back.

I have a C-42 Howard Viele on order and it will ship next week. I think it is probably the most attractive folder I have seen in a long time for off duty carry

I have a benchmade 710 in M-2 steel & a 2550 auto (I am a cop)

I have several CRKT knifes but they are not what I would call collectible.

I'm currently thinking of ordering an additional Spydie C-56 Tim Zowada if my distributor has one available. I think it's just about as attractive as the Viele.

One great thing is I am an FFL dealer and sell lots of police supply's so when I place an order for stuff I can get myself a new knife and not pay shipping in the package.

Now the question

I am considering the 204MF Tri Angle sharpmaker

Is it a good system, can you sharpen serrated blades ?

Thoughts and comments are appreciated.
mundele

Post by mundele »

I have a 204, and it is great. Yes, you can sharpen both plain and serrated knives with it. I always managed to further dull my knives when trying to use bench stones, but I was able to get decent results right off the bat with the sharpmaker. The included video is really a big help. It still takes some practice, and some learning, so I would recommend that you practice on a "beater" knife first. By the way, one of the biggest helps to me when I was first learning to sharpen was the "knife sharpening FAQ" on www.bladeforums.com, written by Joe Talmadge (who also frequents this site). Might want to check it out...

--Matt
The Stare

Post by The Stare »

Greetings, sliced. Welcome to the forum. Always glad to see a new person, especially glad to see an LEO. Wish we had more.

The general consensus amongst most aficianados is that the Sharpmaker 204 is one of the best sharpening systems for maintaining edges. In its present form, it is pretty slow if one wishes to change the edge bevel or repair damage to an edge.

Most people reckon that diamonds are the best medium for removing steel swiftly. My failed memory won't bring up the word I want for a type of manufactured stone which also works pretty well at removing steel quickly. Maybe it will come to me, maybe not.

Sal Glesser, owner of Spyderco, and moderator of this forum and the Spyderco forum at Blade Forums, has recently stated that their long, long hunt for a process that effectively adhered monocrystalline diamonds to metal was successful. This means that diamond rods will be available sometime this fall. With the diamond rods, the 204 will surely be reckoned as at least the 2nd best system for sharpening out there. There is EdgePro, which costs $300, that gets most nods as the best.

Just a suggestion re your next knife purchase. The Zowada is actually quite similar to the Viele. You might consider getting something more different, and perhaps more utilitarian. I would recommend that you consider the Tim Wegner model. It is in the same price range, has better steel, excellent ergonomics, and is far more popular than the Zowada. When the lists of favorite Spydies are made, the Wegner is in the hunt for front runner. It is far more tactical than it might appear at first.

ANother forumite and LEO is shootist16, Dennis Bible. Dennis is one of the strongest advocates of the Wegner. I have to say that he persuaded me, and it is now my primary daily carry for potential self defense.

Again, welcome. Hope we see lots more of you.

Stare
ftkinney

Post by ftkinney »

hey sliced -- i'm originally form south texas. i agree with the stare i just got the sharpmaker 204 and it works great much easer than a bench, much easer. i have not used the edgepro but i've heard it's really good, the sharpmaker also cost me about $42 with tax vs. $300. i too swear by the tim wegner it is absouly a great knife, i recomed it very highly. good to hear from another texan.

FTK
sliced

Post by sliced »

Thank you for all the anwers.
My Viele is actually shipping today.
I agree the Zowada has the same type of look.

I have my eye on the Civilian. I think that's one really mean and politically inccorect blade.

I think I'm gonna add the 204MF to the order today.