Spyderco assisted opener ??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you like Spyderco to produce an assisted folder

Poll ended at Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:08 pm

YES
30%
NO
51%
I DON'T REALLY CARE
18%

Total votes: 76

Jim Malone

Spyderco assisted opener ??

Post by Jim Malone »

I would like to ask you who is interrested in a Spyderco assisted opener?

I have seen the CKRT Voodoo folder and i think it would be a good idea if :spyder: would introduce a similar model.

Who is in it for an assisted :spyder: ?
It's better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6
pjrocco

Post by pjrocco »

No thanks.

But different strokes, for different folks...
Rock
BlackNinja

Post by BlackNinja »

pjrocco wrote:No thanks.

But different strokes, for different folks...
Same here!!!
Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh;
Let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones;
Let him fracture your bones and you take his life!
-Bruce Lee-
----------------------------------------------------------------

-Joe
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

Assisted openers are hazardous to my fingers. I vote no simply because I would likely cut my fingers off with an A.O.
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
Simon G

Post by Simon G »

I would be up for one! AO's are legal in the UK, but auto's are not! :confused: I did have a Kershaw Mini Task that I have since passed on to a dear friend, and I must say, I liked it, well the concept anyway.
"From this day to the ending of the world, we in it shall be remembered; we happy few; we band of brothers...for he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." -Henry V

"......and he that has no sword, let him sell his cloak and buy one." - Luke 22:36
skcusloa

Post by skcusloa »

They're already so easy to open, I don't think introducing this gimmick would help anything. It makes it harder to close too.
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

I dont really wnat one, Not safe enogh if ya ask me
Old Ross

Post by Old Ross »

Personally I dont like them, I have an emmerson commander (waved) which as a knife I love, but it would for me be even better without the wave feature which sometimes snags my pocket if I am trying to get it out without using the wave, I also have a sog trident which uses SOG's S.A.T. This is the only knife I have that I really dislike :mad: , It would be a brave man (or a fool) who carried this knife in his trouser pocket without the safety catch on. In the time taken to take out the knife and swith off the safety catch and then operate the SAT you could take out open close and put back in your pocket a Manix. Unless a knife was designed not to need a safety catch it is likely to be more bother than it is worth.
Irish Lager

Post by Irish Lager »

I said i dont care. I dont really have an interest, but if enough of you want one, then i wouldnt have it stopped. I personally dont like most AO Knives, when it comes to SD, do you really want to rely on a spring?
J
Say what you mean, Mean what you say! :spyder:

jyork

Post by jyork »

An assisted opener? Isn't that what the hole is for??
Jyork- Collector #123
cmd

Post by cmd »

I have no need for one, had a Kershaw and it was fun to play with but it was more of a novelty kind of thing than being really useful.

The trouble is that an assisted opener can really only be opened with a fast click one handedly or by opening the back of the blade into your other hand or leg to do it discreetly.

Most knives, especially Spydercos, can be opened just as quickly - spyder drop, brownie pop, twist and snap - but also allow for being opened more slowly or being waved. This to me makes assisted openers unnecessary and less functional.
VWTattoo

Post by VWTattoo »

I had to vote NO, as I think that it defeats the purpose of the one-handed opening by hole method. The hole is the staple of a Spyderco folder, and is just as fast to open one handed than my Kershaw Chive, and is less awkward to thumb open. Maybe I'm just used to the hole and stuff, but I can't see where this would bring in much value or new clientelle for Spyderco, except for the Police and Military folks who can legally carry an automatic. Still a limited target demographic, IMO.

Good poll though, Jim! I am sure that there are those who would love an AO Spydie, but I am not one of them. They just seem so gimmick-ey to me. I'd rather that the knife have more invested in materials, design, and uniqueness than to have an opening technology that adds to the overall knife expense.
2004 VW R32 :cool:
Got GIN-1?
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Thanks for the replies, i am still interested in the concept of an assisted opener although i have to admit that i never handled one so i can't really talk about the benefits or drawbacks.
At the rate this is going the results seems obvious, a big NO :rolleyes:
It's better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6
d.g.g

Post by d.g.g »

Try a Kershaw Ken Onion designed "leek" model sometime. Or the Benchmade assisted openers. They are very nice.

Here is a link to info about Kershaw's "Speed Safe". Click "Technology" then click "About Speed Safe". It is a rather nice little presentation.

http://www.kershawknives.com/large.htm

Here is some info from the British Knife Guild about assisted folders.

http://www.bkcg.co.uk/products/manu/ker ... 1660r.html
butch

Post by butch »

cricket thats about the only AO i might like if they could still keep it nice and thin
see its like this my hands and fingers are a little too big to snap the blade using the hole
all and all i see no need for an AO
butch
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

I’ve owned about three Kershaw AO’s and was quite happy with them. The idea behind them is that it is safer than manual opening, and while this may be true with a thumb stud, IMHO this theory wouldn’t hold true with the Spyderhole. I don’t think the AO action would be as safe with the hole since the whole idea of Speedsafe was keeping your thumb off of the blade. Other than that, I can see AO’s as a way for making it easier for those with physical limitations such as arthritis. For myself, after using both, I much prefer the Spyderhole because it is more reliable than the thumb stud or flipper AO’s that I used (mainly when wearing gloves). Besides, if you want to really deploy your knife fast, just zip-tie the hole. It’ll blow an AO out of the water any day.
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis
hardkiss

Post by hardkiss »

r u people kidding me w.no AO..i don't want to buy another brand which i have done and am pissed that i did so but no AO from :spyder: ?????? this seems like the next step in their progression in knife making and design..it seems like all the other mainstream company's have this as an option why not spyderco..some look at themselves and say why, i look at myself and say why not..not to say the :spyder: is a follower cause they are not but it is a **** of an idea..i'd be in for several..
"it is like a finger pointing a way to the moon, don't concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory"

Bruce Lee
Outlaw

Post by Outlaw »

I have a Kershaw Blackout. I know it's safe, but for some reason, I just don't trust it 100%
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Sorry, not interested. Figure it's only a matter of time before they're classified as switchblades here in New York.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
BlackNinja

Post by BlackNinja »

The Deacon wrote:Sorry, not interested. Figure it's only a matter of time before they're classified as switchblades here in New York.
I don't want to be caught with one! Would rather not have to try to explain the difference between the two to a cop.
Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh;
Let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones;
Let him fracture your bones and you take his life!
-Bruce Lee-
----------------------------------------------------------------

-Joe