Don't you just hate it when...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Zeppelin

Don't you just hate it when...

Post by Zeppelin »

Don't you just hate it when you've got a really pretty knife, and you get it scratched? I love my Persian and I hate my Persian. It's such a tough, well balanced knife that I want to use it, but all that shiny metal and that black clip make me fear getting it scratched up. I've already got a few scrached on the front part of the handle. Put a little Flitz on it and got part of them out. But this just goes along with it I suppose.
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

Yeah, it kind of gripes me, but hey, I look at it as battle scars. I like my EDC to show how well it's been put to good use!! :)
uncleknife

The answer is Diamond DLC - scratch & rust proof

Post by uncleknife »

The answer is bodycote/ionbond's Diamond DLC - scratch & rust proof.
idj

Post by idj »

Yes, I hate that too. Some of the finishes on the handle don't take use too well either. That's the price of using a knife rather than letting it sit in a safe, I guess. I consider the scratches from use marks of honour, unless it's a mark someone else put on it! :)
Regards,
idj
(official forum loud-mouthed schnook!)
"If you cut us, do we not bleed?" - Mr. Croup
spyderknut

Post by spyderknut »

I assume a knife will get scratched when I decide to carry it. I am never disappointed or upset. Now breaking it is a different matter entirely... :o
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing." -- my grandfather
Collector #041
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

One of the benefits of the way I carry a knife - loose in a pocket all by itself - is that it tends to minimize damage. But, even with that, occasional scratches on the bolsters do occur. I look at them as adding character. On the other hand, having a brain fart and scratching a blade while sharpening can really ruin my day.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
dialex

Post by dialex »

That's why I am begging for a FRN version with wireclip :cool:
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

dialex wrote:That's why I am begging for a FRN version with wireclip :cool:
:eek: ..... :eek: .... :eek:
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
VultureParade

Post by VultureParade »

The first scratch is always the worst, but after that you get over it.

That's why when I get a new knife, I immediately slide it across a sidewalk :)

-Bryan
moonlight

Post by moonlight »

I have got a Calypso JR ZDP and the gold bug on the blade begin to disappear because i carry this knife a lot.
It broke my heart but nothing's eternal... :( :o
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

dialex wrote:That's why I am begging for a FRN version with wireclip :cool:
:eek: :eek: :eek: Alex, you should be horse whipped for even thinking that. :D
moonlight wrote:I have got a Calypso JR ZDP and the gold bug on the blade begin to disappear because i carry this knife a lot.
For what it's worth, they use to, and probably still do, sell stuff to "gold fill" lettering and such on things. I used it on some firearms to highlight makers names, serial numbers, etc.. Like the :spyder: it rubbed off fairly easily, which made sense because you just paint it onto the area with the lettering, let it dry, then wipe off the excess from the flat surfaces. On the other hand, it was just as easily repaired. Did not discolor with age either, have a couple pieces where it still looks as good as ever.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Zeppelin wrote:Don't you just hate it when you've got a really pretty knife, and you get it scratched? I love my Persian and I hate my Persian. It's such a tough, well balanced knife that I want to use it, but all that shiny metal and that black clip make me fear getting it scratched up. I've already got a few scrached on the front part of the handle. Put a little Flitz on it and got part of them out. But this just goes along with it I suppose.
Aloha Zeppelin,

Oh well, since you scratched your C83 a bit, might as well make her a user! :D Seriously though, I know the feeling...prior to getting my Persian from Ed, I was such a paranoid freak about scratching my knives...especially ones in Almite or SS. (Spoiled by FRN I think!) When I got the C83, oh man, this was one that I did not want to use, but HAD to. No sense in Ed sending it to me just to keep it locked away, and there was much to find out about the handle shape. I was *very* careful with the Persian at first...however, I have been discovering that it is a strong hard working folder and yes, I got a few scratches on it but they are "well earned" and attest to the strength of this beautiful knife! ;)

Kinda like battle scars I had on my football helmet, or like the melted plastic on my "knee-pucs" I used to wear when knee dragging corners with my CBR, or like the bloody shins from doing deadlifts...as you stated, "it just goes along with it." ;)

God bless and the Persian is tougher than most people think. :)
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
psimonl

Post by psimonl »

[quote="DAYWALKER"]however, I have been discovering that it is a strong hard working folder and yes, I got a few scratches on it but they are "well earned" and attest to the strength of this beautiful knife! ]

Hello Daywalker...

But what about that very fine tip!!!

That is the only thing about the Persian I'm affraid to loose. Not the SS bolster finish or Micarta smoothness... Not even the clip, but that fine tip,...

How do you manage???

Simon
"Everyday above the ground and vertical is a good day".
-Sir A. Hopkins in "The world's Fastest Indian"

"If it hurts, it means you're not dead..."
-Kayakist Marie-Pier Cote

The Spyderco Cookbook
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

Simon, the tip of the Persian is stouter than you think. I wouldn't be prying tops off paint cans with it, but it should hold up well for you. I don't think you'd be disappointed with the knife. I'm pretty sure Chads not gentle with his knives, he's happy with it. Remember, he sharpens his stuff on rocks. lol
gordonk

Post by gordonk »

Yup - hear you on that one. When I bought my Paramilitary, it was probably one of my most expensive purchases and despite that fact the original intent was to use it harder, I was still pretty tore up when I dinged up the handle and put a small, tiny scratch on the blade. BUT as mentioned, I'm not so worried about it now - I looked at it as a knife with "character" :D My Byrd Meadowlark and Ka-Bar/Dozier have a lot of character :) Interestingly, when I got my Buck/Strider 887SBT Police Advocate, I was using it to pry, dig and even "cut" stuff and had no second thought about it :)

- gord

(edited for spelling)
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Same with me. I don't like to scratch my blades either. I was always admiring the shiny blade of my Military. But after my can slashing test, there are some real nasty scratches on the blade :eek: . They may add caracter, but I think I will try and polish them away.
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

The first scratch is the only one I really mind, like others here. But it's around that point that I allow myself to really start beating on the knife, and that's when I can finally find out how good the knife is.

It's been said before, but I'll say it again anyway, the scratches add character. ;)

Chips in the blade on the other hand... :mad:
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
Senate

Post by Senate »

I like my users to get scratched and I do my best not to avoid it... :eek: :D
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I dont mind scratches, I mind when I lose the tip sharpening since I dont know how to bring it back
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

gordonk wrote:... My Byrd Meadowlark and Ka-Bar/Dozier have a lot of character :) Interestingly, when I got my Buck/Strider 887SBT Police Advocate, ...- gord

(edited for spelling)
What are these foreign words you speak of?.... :p
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.