Military problem.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Andre V

Military problem.

Post by Andre V »

Its a disaster.... :(

My Military seems to have developed some vertical blade play.

(I dont know how im going to explain this..)

The problem is on the liner lock. When open, i can move the blade up and down. I can see the liner lock moving along the back of the blade from right to left along the bevel.
I dont think the lock will fail, but its not cool. There is quite a lot of vertical pay.

Anyone have any suggestions??
skcusloa

Post by skcusloa »

I have tightened the pivot to correct it..

but it seems to be very tight, but a spyder drop is still some what easy to perform....
Andre V

Post by Andre V »

skcusloa wrote:I have tightened the pivot to correct it..

but it seems to be very tight, but a spyder drop is still some what easy to perform....
I tightened the pivot, and the blade play is still there. It seems like the liner/ blade has worn. When i tighten it it just gets harder to open, but the play is still there. I have had my Mil for over 5/6/7 years (i dont know how many years, but its a long time).

Maybe it just tired.
cerulean

Post by cerulean »

Vertical play in a liner lock is very bad news; it means that the lock is unstable. Unfortunately, you’ll probably have to send the knife back to Spyderco to get it repaired or replaced.

If the Military is over five years old, then it may have an eccentric pivot that you could try adjusting. That involves popping the pivot pin out, rotating it, and then reinserting it to change the lock-up. There have been some good threads on BFC about the eccentric pivot that you might want to search for.
Andre V

Post by Andre V »

[quote="cerulean"]Vertical play in a liner lock is very bad news]

Thank you, my millie locks up like its brand new again. :)
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

It might be worth the hassle to send it back and get piece of mind when it returns.

Did you read Vincent's post about his Millie? Came back as new, can't ask for more than that.
cerulean

Post by cerulean »

Did you adjust the eccentric pivot? If so, I'm glad it helped! :) Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't.
Andre V

Post by Andre V »

Hi cerulean,

I adjusted the pivot as you explained, first anticlockwise which made the lock looser and then clockwise which made it tighter. I would swear it locks up better now tham it ever did previously.

Thanks for the advice. :)

Hi greencobra,

The problem with sending it back to the factory is that i live in South Africa, these things take forever and ever. Anyway the problem seems to be gone now.
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

I had the same problem, but m y Millie was much newer so I couldent adjust. Taking it part voids the warrenty. so i sent it in and now its like a fixed blade.
psimonl

Post by psimonl »

I had the same problem. Sent it to Heaven, Golden Colorado and, after "a while", standing next to Vincent's, Amanda told me they had to change a "D nut in the Hinge" :confused: :confused:

Mine is not in yet, some Custom agent must be playing with it :mad:

My guess, send it back...

Simon
"Everyday above the ground and vertical is a good day".
-Sir A. Hopkins in "The world's Fastest Indian"

"If it hurts, it means you're not dead..."
-Kayakist Marie-Pier Cote

The Spyderco Cookbook