Curved blades w/ Serrated edges

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PSU

Curved blades w/ Serrated edges

Post by PSU »

I am thinking about picking up a SE Dodo & I am looking to get advice about the effectiveness of a serrated short S-curved blade.

I have experience using serrated knives that have a straight or slightly rounded blade. When I use these knives I typically employ a sawing motion to cut through materials such as cardboard, rope, & sticks. I have found that this method works very well.

Based upon my limited use of a PE Dodo, IMO its short S-curved blade is most effective on pull strokes. To cut through material I usually use a single or repeated number of pull strokes. This particular blade shape does not seem to lend its well to a sawing motion that I typically use with other knives.

Does a serrated edge add much cutting power to a short S-curved blade?
Does anyone have experience cutting with such a blade? If so, could you provide some insight?

I like the look of the SE Dodo but I cannot buy it for that reason alone :rolleyes:

Thanks,
Tom
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

In my experience with reverse S and hawkbill serrated edges, you usually don't need to saw with them. Based on the way the blades work, you can usually sever whatever you're cutting with one stroke, no sawing needed.

Of course there is a point where that doesn't work, but at that point you need a hatchet anyway.

Despite that, I do prefer a straighter blade for serrations. Hypocritical I know, but I'd rather be able to saw, if I had to.
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I also tend to slice more with my SE blades, as opposed to sawing with them. In my experience, the SE adds a lot of power to a small recurve-S blade. I used my Dodo to cut up old carpets and was amazed how easy the blade went through it. Resharpening is easy with a Sharpmaker, but I never did learn how to maintain or restore the extreme tip of the blade.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
ruxton

Post by ruxton »

They work! I once had to saw down a small tree with my harpy. Was still quite sharp afterwards too (it wasn't a very big tree).
Zeppelin

Post by Zeppelin »

I have a serrated Cricket. It does really well. Eats cardboard like nobody's business as well as thick plastic banding (like they put on stacks of lumber) Not sure about the sharpening, it hasn't got dull yet.
Intruderdriver

Post by Intruderdriver »

I find that for garden work a serrated blade is about all I use anymore. Especially my SE Dodo. I just used it today to cut some pumpkins off the vine. None of my PE knives come close at this task. Fast and clean, and the s-shape blade makes it easy to grab the vine.