Yellowhorse Police Model

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
modoc

Yellowhorse Police Model

Post by modoc »

I bought a Spyderco Police Model with custom work on the handles. Wood, ebony, coral, mother of pearl, etc. The serial number is below 200. It was signed by Dave Yellowhorse. How many were made and how much is it worth? Any facts would be appreciated. Thanks, Clayton
psimonl

Post by psimonl »

There is a very nice article on the guy in the september issue of Tactical Knives. May not answer your questions, but you will know more about the guy who made the piece you're holding.

Simon
"Everyday above the ground and vertical is a good day".
-Sir A. Hopkins in "The world's Fastest Indian"

"If it hurts, it means you're not dead..."
-Kayakist Marie-Pier Cote

The Spyderco Cookbook
Jurphaas

Post by Jurphaas »

Hi Modoc - Welcome to the forum. I hope you will like it here. The knife you've aquired is one of the most sought after and rare Spyderco knives ever! The David Yellowhorse series exsisted of 3 models of which the C07 Police model was the crown jewel. There were probably less than two hundred made and they hardly ever become available on the open market. This is a really exeptional find. The rareness of this knife makes it highly disirable and very expensive. You can almost ask any price....
The knives were made in Japan in 1989 at a time that Spyderco was offering knives for just a few years and not yet had a large following.
Stay around here and see if you like the Forum.
Jurphaas. :spyder:
Clipits Work!
* WTC # 0107 *
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Modoc,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum.

It is as Jur says.

sal
Lost Jaguar

Post by Lost Jaguar »

Good thing it's not left-handed tip-up. Then I wouldn't sleep until it was MINE.
Prepare for Anything, Expect Nothing
modoc

Yellowhorse Police Model

Post by modoc »

Jurphaas, Sal- Thanks for the info...I bought the knife from a "merchant" selling trinkets near Big Sur, California. The extra work caught my eye, I picked it up and noticed it was a Spyderco. The price was quite reasonable-less than the $100 or so I knew the knife alone was worth. Do you guys know of any photos of the different YPMs or was there only one style produced? Thanks, C
Oh yeah, wanna see it?
PSU

Post by PSU »

I know that I would like to see some pics of the custom design :)

Tom
BlackNinja

Post by BlackNinja »

PSU wrote:I know that I would like to see some pics of the custom design :)

Tom
I second that!!! Please :D

Joe
Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh;
Let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones;
Let him fracture your bones and you take his life!
-Bruce Lee-
----------------------------------------------------------------

-Joe
cyberhawk

Post by cyberhawk »

modoc wrote:Jurphaas, Sal- Thanks for the info...I bought the knife from a "merchant" selling trinkets near Big Sur, California. The extra work caught my eye, I picked it up and noticed it was a Spyderco. The price was quite reasonable-less than the $100 or so I knew the knife alone was worth. Do you guys know of any photos of the different YPMs or was there only one style produced? Thanks, C
Oh yeah, wanna see it?
Here's the Yellowhorse Hunter from 1989.
Hawk
Attachments
Yellowhorse002 mod.jpg
Yellowhorse002 mod.jpg (14.03 KiB) Viewed 2638 times
Reality is the leading cause of stress among those who are in touch with it.
Jane Wagner
modoc

Post by modoc »

Nice knife, Hawk. Here's mine. Sorry about the poor image quality. Any more info. would be appreciated. Thanks
Attachments
sypm (3).jpg
sypm (3).jpg (77.26 KiB) Viewed 2714 times
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Welcome to the forums Modoc. Very nice catch, beautiful knife :cool:
Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray »

modoc wrote:Jurphaas, Sal- Thanks for the info...I bought the knife from a "merchant" selling trinkets near Big Sur, California. The extra work caught my eye, I picked it up and noticed it was a Spyderco. The price was quite reasonable-less than the $100 or so I knew the knife alone was worth. Do you guys know of any photos of the different YPMs or was there only one style produced? Thanks, C
Oh yeah, wanna see it?
I love these kinds of stories. It's sort of like finding a mint 60's vintage Corvette in somebody's barn with 10K miles on it for minor money. Congrats on your find!! :spyder:
Steve
JudgeRB

Re: Dave Yellowhorse knives

Post by JudgeRB »

Jurphaas wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:52 pm
Hi Modoc - Welcome to the forum. I hope you will like it here. The knife you've aquired is one of the most sought after and rare Spyderco knives ever! The David Yellowhorse series exsisted of 3 models of which the C07 Police model was the crown jewel. There were probably less than two hundred made and they hardly ever become available on the open market. This is a really exeptional find. The rareness of this knife makes it highly disirable and very expensive. You can almost ask any price....

The knives were made in Japan in 1989 at a time that Spyderco was offering knives for just a few years and not yet had a large following.
Hey Jurphaas,
I am brand new here but when you said "You can almost ask any price..." if I told you I had 1 of each model with certificates of authenticity, in reality, if I sold them as a set, what could I get out of them?
JudgeRB

Re: Yellowhorse Police Model

Post by JudgeRB »

I tried to post a picture of them but it says file is too large.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear JudgeRB:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

JudgeRB wrote:
Jurphaas wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:52 pm

Hey Jurphaas,
I am brand new here but when you said "You can almost ask any price..." if I told you I had 1 of each model with certificates of authenticity, in reality, if I sold them as a set, what could I get out of them?
This thread was 16 years old... you may not get an answer. You might have to do some digging to see what the secondary prices have been for the models you have. This is a good place to start. Hopefully someone here can give you some direction.
Last edited by VooDooChild on Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JudgeRB wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:02 pm

Hey Jurphaas,

I think "ask any price" was an exaggeration, I don't see anyone giving you a $5000 for them. You'd probably need to let an auction decide but I would expect over 4 figures just based on having the whole set and the rareness.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:19 am
JudgeRB wrote:

Hey Jurphaas,

I think "ask any price" was an exaggeration, I don't see anyone giving you a $5000 for them. You'd probably need to let an auction decide but I would expect over 4 figures just based on having the whole set and the rareness.
I would have to agree with this. Probably between $1k-2k. Inlayed knives can be hit or miss on price.

I've scored a few at decent prices. The only one I kept was a Kiwi. I don't know that I could ever part with it.

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Very cool. Thanks for sharing. The bits and pieces of information about Spyderco’s history that pop up here are interesting.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:19 am
JudgeRB wrote:

Hey Jurphaas,

I think that a "4 digit price" would be more than a reasonable expectation being that "Cranberry Lum" model a couple of years back fetched slightly over $1200.

It's like the old cliche that states "It's Worth What Someone Will Pay For It". I got to meet David Yellowhorse back in 2006 at the BLADE Show. I haven't seen any of his work recently and I'm not sure if he still does his custom work on Spyderco or any other brands of knives for that matter. But I will say that I was impressed with the stuff that he showed me and a friend at the 2006 BLADE Show.