Iraq service / knife recommendations? (NEED YOUR HELP)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
lotsablades

Iraq service / knife recommendations? (NEED YOUR HELP)

Post by lotsablades »

Hey gang!
OK, here's the deal:
My 18 year old stepson is currently at Advanced Infantry Training in Ft. Benning, GA in preparation for almost certain deployment to Iraq. :(
He asked me for a knife to take along for the ride. He specifically asked for a :spyder: co. (I am SO proud!!) :D
He is not a knife knut, so the knife needs to be capable of "tolerating" that kind of treatment. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks in advance.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man..." -ancient Nordic proverb
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

lotsablades wrote:Hey gang!
OK, here's the deal:
My 18 year old stepson is currently at Advanced Infantry Training in Ft. Benning, GA in preparation for almost certain deployment to Iraq. :(
He asked me for a knife to take along for the ride. He specifically asked for a :spyder: co. (I am SO proud!!) :D
He is not a knife knut, so the knife needs to be capable of "tolerating" that kind of treatment. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks in advance.
id bring a Spyderco Military CE and a Swamp Rat Ratweiler or Battle Rat

But thats just me,

Many will say a Manix, some will recommend a Strider and some will say a fixed blade is better all together.
Simon G

Post by Simon G »

The Military, that's what it was made for! :cool: Or the Para Military if he has small hands! ;)

Best wishes and prayers for your stepson, you and your wife.

God bless,

Simon.
"From this day to the ending of the world, we in it shall be remembered; we happy few; we band of brothers...for he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." -Henry V

"......and he that has no sword, let him sell his cloak and buy one." - Luke 22:36
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I read a lot about restrictions being put on what soldiers are allowed to carry. A pair of FRN Natives would certainly pass any inspection. S30V steel, one SE the other PE (left/right carry, or leave one at the base as a spare), these are plain good solid folders that are not so expensive that he won't have to worry about 'messing up'. That's what I would suggest for a non-knifeknut. Though the Paramillie comes to mind, that open construction must be nice for cleaning in that environment.

A compact fixed blade of choice would be a CRK one piece design, Shadow IV for example. It seems tough enough to do a lot of stuff knives aren't supposed to, but have to do anyway.

In any event, toss in a Sharpmaker so everybody wants to be his buddy! ;)

Wouter

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
i.v

Post by i.v »

another vote for the native here, got me though a good bit of my military service, inexpensive, tough as nails & S30V, what more can you ask for? :)
i say SE if he has a way of sharpening it (sharpmaker or a lansky rod for spyder edges if he prefers something he can carry on him at all times)
& PE if he uses a plain sharpening stone or something like that.
skcusloa

Post by skcusloa »

CE or SE military. He has a fixed blade ka bar (or something similar) issued to him for when he needs super heavy duty use. May not be as good as a 300 dollar slab of steel, but soldiers have been getting a long with them since WWII.

Natives would be a good choice too....
ront

Post by ront »

I also will put in a vote for the Native. It was my first Spyderco and I still love it. Great knife with great steel. I think it is the Glock of the knife world.

Ron
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

If you contact Spyderco you may be able to get him a tan Native.I would also get him a Busse,Swamp Rat or Strider fixed blade.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
spyderknut

Post by spyderknut »

Hi Lotsablades. I was the friendly guy :D who introduced himself to you wandering around at Blade this year.

Another vote for a Native. I gave my wife's cousin a III for Marine basic training graduation a few months ago. He's over in Iraq now.
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing." -- my grandfather
Collector #041
Irish Lager

Post by Irish Lager »

Para or Millie, depending on hand size, SE or CE for heavy cutting would be nice. And i also agree that a Swamp Rat would be a great addition. I hope for the best for you and your family.
J
Say what you mean, Mean what you say! :spyder:

STR

Post by STR »

No question about it. The Military is first choice here and if not that a Para-Military. Either one will function well in that environment.

My son said after being there for 14months that his folder was the one he used the most but he also said a good multi tool is a must have as well. So I'd also have to add to get you a Victorinox Swiss Tool or a Leatherman equal and have that on your list as well. Preferably one that doesn't have parts to lose.

STR
It is not necessary to do extraordinary things in life but only to do ordinary things extraordinarily well.

STR's Blog
Hillbillenigma

Post by Hillbillenigma »

I have been there.

I would not recommend getting any Fixed blade until he is stationed and gets the scoop from the Company Commander on what is acceptable. And when you do get a fixed blade I would not purchase an expensive one.

A great folder is a certain bet right now. I would recommend a SE Native (Tan would be super). I would also recommend a Leatherman (any model would be fine) with a non-leather sheath.

Good Luck to him.
2edgesword

Post by 2edgesword »

lotsablades

While I can't offer anything better than what's been suggested as far as knives are concerned (I own two Natives and they're wonderful knives) I'll remember your son in my prayers.
Certified Instructor - Martial Blade Concepts

"The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men, and if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it possible an empire can rise without His aid?" Benjamin Franklin
gabo

Post by gabo »

Been there myself a long time ago, Had a Cold Steel SRK that followed me everywhere. Cheap, solid blade. Was issued a Delica! Today, there are so many good choices, Native, Paramillie, Dodo, DAllara rescue, all serrated.
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

I would recommend the Native (I or III, both are good) for a cheap, reliable folder. Not sure how sand affects the lock up of a front lock though. Perhaps someone with more knowledge than I can point out a better locking mechanism.

Also, Para, or Millie would also be good options, but a little more expensive.
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
Michael Cook

Queen of battle!

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: Manix 80mm and a sharpmaker! a tough "can do" knife that won't get him arrested! When does he get his blue cord? :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

Native III, Endura, or if you wanna "spoil" him....get him a Military! :D
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
d.g.g

Post by d.g.g »

Hi Dad of a soldier,

Let me give what insights I (another dad) gleaned from my son's and his wife's little visit to Beautiful Baghdad. I sweated it out for 18 months and would have sent him anything he asked for. A little background. He is a Captain, army ranger, with 1st armored division out of Germany, who was in charge of a recon platoon in Sadr City (n. side of Baghdad). His wife is also a Captain and was mostly stationed at the airport although she did get to see him.

As I got the story from him all his troops had identical weapons. That way everyone was on the same page and knew what to do with all the equipment. They carried the basic army issued M9 knife-bayonet (much more a knife) as a fixed blade. He said it was very effective in opening doors, car and house.

http://www.m9bayonet.com/

I sent both of them a Microtech MSE-SC folder based on a recommendation from a guy in the fire department. It had a built-in window breaking button and a built-in web belt cutter which I thought might be useful if they had to get gear off a downed trooper in a hurry. They are expensive but considering the situation the cost was not an issue. He said he didn't use it very much but it was light and easy to carry so he carried it.

http://www.1sks.com/store/microtech-min ... utter.html

He has several Spydercos, Delica and Endura. I was going to send him a Rescue model based on discussions with the fire department guys. They seemed to think a pointed blade would not be as important as a good cutting edge and the Rescue models have a ton of cutting edge.

The new ones have a combo edge sort of.

http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=71

I like the older model just because it has the serrated edge all the way to the tip.

http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=72

I also like the Atlantic Salt style but don't know much about this new rust resistent steel. It has the serrations all the way across the blade.

http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=173

If your son is deployed you must ask him to send you back a dried and pressed camel spider for your Spydie collection. I wish him and his trooper the best. My son would tell him to keep a sharp eye out on everything and don't let anyone get too close.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/b ... spider.htm
lotsablades

Thank you...

Post by lotsablades »

As usual, you guys and gals really come through for a fellow spyder-nut! I am grateful for the advice, and was already thinking along the lines of The Millie and the Native. Thanks very, very much for your prayers and well wishes. It means more to us than I can express here in written words. :o

To answer your questions:
JSmith: I thought that the tan Natives from Spyderco were no more? :confused: I know that Spyderco was giving them out to the deployed troops. (A class act, that Sal Glesser is. Easily one of my favorite people in the world, and one of my favorite parts of going to the Blade Show!) :o Are they still available from Spyderco?

SpyderKnut: I remember meeting you at Blade. Nice to "see" you again. :)

Michael CooK: He "Turns Blue" on 11/9. Graduates the next day. We can't wait to see him again. He really seems to have gotten himself squared away! :D

Thanks again for the ideas, especially the "non-Spydie" ideas. As I told Sal at Blade, He's in no danger of ever losing my business permanently. I do however, reserve the right to get my son a variety of the finest tools available to increase his chances of getting home to us in one piece. I will ALWAYS carry a Spyderco, no question about it. Thanks again for your prayers. You guys and gals are the BEST!

-Tommy
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man..." -ancient Nordic proverb
jon shannow

Post by jon shannow »

Michael Cook wrote: :spyder: Manix 80mm and a sharpmaker! a tough "can do" knife that won't get him arrested! When does he get his blue cord? :spyder:
i agree i am in iraq at the minute and if i could get my hands on one it would be my choice or if he would like something bigger the regular manix
:spyder:
better to have a knife and not need it
than to need a knife and not have it