Sal's Casual Bombshell Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Wow Zen looks like some short circuiting is going on back in the old brainer! bzzzzz bzzzzzzz must post now bzzzzzzz bzzzzzzzz

:D

very easy. You are like the information # you can call to get info.

"pssst hey guys let's just ask Zen , instead of using the search button" :p
It's better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Jim Malone wrote:Wow Zen looks like some short circuiting is going on back in the old brainer! bzzzzz bzzzzzzz must post now bzzzzzzz bzzzzzzzz

very easy. You are like the information # you can call to get info.

"pssst hey guys let's just ask Zen , instead of using the search button" :p
Well thanks man...but I don't know Jack, except how to cut and paste. The idea wasn't even mine, but it is a good one. Please anyone post from other forums...cuz I don't scan them :eek: .
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Sounds like we can expect a notice of the Swick sometime soon....

http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.p ... post187352

[quote="sal"]Hi Terry. I'll probably say something here, or maybe Kristi will beat me to it. She's been doing that lately. ]
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

No Spydercos with BG42? thread at BF's Spyderco Forum...
sal wrote:We tested BG-42 a while back. A beautiful steel. As Ken mentioned, it's a VIM-VAR steel with some "finicky" requirements.

We have some hee in Golden. Plans were to make a run of Lil Temperances with it. Vendor probs parked the Lil Temp for a while. I imagine we'll use it for some type of "fun" test.

sal
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

Spyderco Lil' Temperance thread in Knife Reviews & Testing at BF...
sal wrote:Nice review, thanx.

The model was disco'd because of our inability to consistently deliver (vendor issues).

We do have a newer design, actually two variations. (one in FRN and one in Titan). But we have so many models in R&D right now that we're forced to slow down a bit on the newer pieces.

sal
sal wrote:We would more than likely opt for a 4 way clip. We would use either something more like the new "hourglass" clip on the Endura and Delica 4's. (The clip design is quite refined and performed well in testing) or a deep pocket wire like the UKPK).

have you an opinon on a clip?

sal
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
HoB

Post by HoB »

"We do have a newer design, actually two variations. (one in FRN and one in Titan)."

Ok, THAT just made my jaw drop! :eek: :eek: I always thought asking for a Lil'T in Ti was a bit much...and now this. WOW!

You might as well take my order right now! :D
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Sal's thoughts on beating the back of your knife against a hard object. ;)
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17735
sal wrote:I hear there is a bunch going on with "lock testing" lately. Sorry, I've been quite busy and will not have to time really get into this for a few days.

I am assuming that those with problems have sent them in to Spyderco for inspection? Rc testing, microscope analysis, etc. Naturally we would want to analyze the problems and solve them.

Otherwise one might get the impression that it's more staging than it should be.

If a lock defeats, and something is damaged, it will never work again. Repeating the test, or even filming a repeated test is really a waste of time. The damage has been done. Subsequent tests are like trying to recreate a birth.

If you hit a part hard enough to break or deform it, this is not a safety test, it is a destruction test. Probably a topic we'll have to get into in some depth and see if we can determine a standard.

It's your product, that you purchased and you can do what you want with it, but I don't think that manufacturers should not be responsibile for destruction testing done by ELUs.

A safety test is like turning on your flashlight to make sure it still works, or shaking your canteen. Checking your knife to see if maybe dirt, lint, or some other problem might exist.

There are only a few reasons that a lock will defeat.

Try to keep in mind that these are small bits of steel, usually between 1/32" and 5/32" thick that are carefully machined to work together to provide a degree of safety that is greater than a slip-joint.

Driving your car into a brick wall to test the bumpers, airbags and seat belts is questionable. :rolleyes:

Perhaps some of the more knowledgable might be interested in creating a thread that deals with what kind of testing is useful?

I personally know someone that intentionally destroys products because the "warrantee" permits him to. I believe that Mick had some interesting comments about these types.

The goal, at least for Spyderco is to create and produce safe, reliable high performance products for our customers. Anything that we can do to improve our products in those areas is always at the forefront of our R&D.

While we appreciate the comments and opinions of our customers, we will need to examine the products in our lab to determine the cause. Your support and understanding is appreciated.

sal
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

10/16 regarding spine whacking...
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.p ... post188487
sal wrote:Every knife we make is spine wacked a number of times in the manufacturing process. This is normal for us and is probably normal for most companies that care about safety.

I also recommend occasional spine wacking to safety test. I do this and think it is a good thing to do. Fingers are precious.

If you have a failure. I think it's very important to notify the manufacturer and send the failure to them so they can analyze the parts and determine what the problem was and how to avoid such a problem in the future. While we take every precaution to make a safe knife, a flaw is always possible.

Obviously there is a problem if a lock fails. I don't think the problem can be solved or determined by words on a forum. There are only a number of reasons a lock can fail. They can be examined and determined.

To date, I have not received any of the knives back that have been the objects of complaint. Certainly if the problem was something we did, we will, and have always replaced the knife. We're known for that. And it also provides us with an opportunity to study and improve whatever it was that could be at fault.

I don't think it's a good idea to bash any companies and I would prefer that you do not do it here. All knife companies have many challenges to deal with in their production. Pobody's Nerfect. Even the majors have "recalls".

If you have a problem with one of my knives, I would like to opportunity to inspect and solve the problem. We make many thousands of knives every month. Occasionally we get a problem piece. If this happens, we try to solve the problem and please the customer.

Debris or dirt can impede the funtion of a lock.
Material failure can cause a part to fail:
Heat treat problems.
A hidden flaw in the material itself.
Fatigue of the part itself.
Springs can break.
Geometry can be off.
Even a burr in the wrong place can cause a problem.

If you would be so kind as to send us a problem, we can take care of it. If you do not, we cannot.

Perhaps, with dialectic, we can determine a "proper" universal test for knives. Find that line between safety test and destructive test. Until then, we will continue to make our products as best we can and continually improve them as we learn how to.

sal
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

10/16 regarding "updating" kitchen knifes...

http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.p ... post188488

Hi Ken.

It is being considered.

sal
Nicky

Post by Nicky »

HoB wrote:"We do have a newer design, actually two variations. (one in FRN and one in Titan)."

Ok, THAT just made my jaw drop! :eek: :eek: I always thought asking for a Lil'T in Ti was a bit much...and now this. WOW!

You might as well take my order right now! :D
I don't have much money right now but sign me in for both! Holy mama! A Ti Lil' Temperance... I couldn't ask for anything else!
The social revolution is now a fact. As I've discover, I'm a proteiform. The only question that remain unclear is; Who are you?
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

10/16 For the fixed blade fans...like me. :D
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.p ... post188686

Good input. thanx much. The Schempp Camp knife is still in the plan.

sal
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

10/17 http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.p ... post188888

Caly Jr. plans at this moment.
sal wrote:At this time, we have no plans to make another run of ZDP Caly jrs.

All of the current "Sprint" run has been sold out of Spyderco. There are probably a few out there.

I doubt that any one customer is going to get "hundreds" of them.

sal
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

10/17 why stop using ats 55
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.p ... post188889
sal wrote:We introduced ATS-55 (Goddard FRN) and VG-10 (Moran) at the same time.

VG-10 tested better both in the lab and in the field so we dropped one and kept the other. VG-10 is more expensive than ATS-55.

sal
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

:D 10/17 CF military!!!!
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.p ... post188979
sal wrote:It's a small quantity, about 400 pcs.

MSRP is $260.

They will be available through our normal dealer channels.

sal
CopilotATS-55

Post by CopilotATS-55 »

hes like Delta Force :eek: he slides in then out :D
Kyle Decker wasn't here !!! :D :eek:

"Avatar by Dialex
REMEMBER
SFC SHUGART & MSG GORDON

Im still here, just busy being a Senior!!! :D
PNXC

PN
Wrestling

Never Forget 9/11

VMI
10'+3
HoB

Post by HoB »

Ok, this is the biggest bombshell to me. This would be like a dream come true:

#29 Yesterday, 02:14 PM
Sal Glesser
Moderator Join Date: Dec 1998

Hi lreed,

We don't have enough for a large quantity of a model and we probably would not use it as a regular steel. So I would want to do a short of of something "fun" like a lil' Temp with an integral Titanium Compression lock.

sal
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

Is that in reference to the BG-42 leftovers Spyderco has?
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

10/19 only one of us seems to talk of the stretch but this seems important!
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.p ... post189555

Thanx Paul.

I'm planning on making some changes to the Stretch and planned on starting a thread looking for input. Appreciate.

sal
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

10/18...out of time sequence but interesting in the short term...regarding new CF Military

http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.p ... post189380

It looks like dark green G-10.

Our earlier CF Walker was made from Sauber CF.

sal
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

10/18 also about CF military
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.p ... post189255

The CF is peel-ply, grippy, not shiny. Some may not like it for that reason. It is not the same as the Shiny CF pieces we've done in the past.

sal