Sal's Casual Bombshell Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

10/19 cool info about the Spyderench...

http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.p ... post189610

Marty Beck is the original inventor of the Rench. He is, as he said, putting together the last of the castings. If you can get one, it will probably be a good one.

His "day job" is a rocket scientist, for real.

sal
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
EarthDog

Post by EarthDog »

Interesting thread, "zen." I'm especially encouraged by the posts that the Schempp Camp Knife is still in Spyderco's plan. A large Spyderco FB in 3V is just what the doctor ordered.
EarthDog
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

It keeps me out of trouble for a few seconds every couple of days... :D
Fairlane

Post by Fairlane »

sal wrote:Hi Ron, The CPM-S125V Native will be a short run for the "steel junkies" to get to play with the material.

Regarding the CPM-3V vs CPM-M4, Ed Schempp is testing both. The final choice will be his.

sal
This should fit in here...

another bomb :eek:

Maybe the good Mr. Glesser would be so kind as to let me know how to afford all these sprint runs of his without ending up homeless :D

What I need is a Second and a third job ;)
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

It has been shown that fat wallets worn in the back pocket (where many Americans wear their wallets) is bad for the lower back. Spyderco is doing their part to ensure our wallets are never too fat with money, thus improving the overall back health of all Americans. :p
EarthDog

Post by EarthDog »

Hi Fairlane,

Thanks for the info re 3V vs M4 for the Schempp Camp Knife. Either way, I'm there.

And roger that on multiple jobs to support the knife (and gun) habit. Also to support my daughter's ballet habit, but that's another story. ;)
EarthDog
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

[quote="EarthDog"]Hi Fairlane,

Thanks for the info re 3V vs M4 for the Schempp Camp Knife. Either way, I'm there.

And roger that on multiple jobs to support the knife (and gun) habit. Also to support my daughter's ballet habit, but that's another story. ]

Dang, I can see it now...pink ballet slippers or new sprint run knife...hmmmmm I know where that decision will end up... ;)
Fairlane

Post by Fairlane »

Whoa, glad to see I'm not the only one who would soon be needing extra jobs to support the habit :D
I used to buy a lot of guns as well, but that is some serious hassle in my part of the world, so I took a hard decision, found 4 that I like, and kept another 6 for the memories, and the rest had to go.
Now, I'm considering letting 4 of those go as well, to get some money for the CF Harpy's :eek:
But I'll probably end up doing more overtime instead, like last time I had a lot of Spyderco's I wanted ;)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Earthdog,

Aa a father, I would have to say that in the list of priorities, daughters habits come before knives, (or father's habits). :)

sal
EarthDog

Post by EarthDog »

sal wrote:Hi Earthdog,

Aa a father, I would have to say that in the list of priorities, daughters habits come before knives, (or father's habits). :)

sal
Amen, Sal. Being a dad is the greatest gift I've ever experienced. My wife and I are blessed with a wonderful daughter. She is a good student, committed to dance, and is good natured.

Thanks.
EarthDog
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

10/23 for the Sinisters...
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.p ... post191077

We're considering a lefty only Kopa. What handle material turns lefties on?

sal

:eek:
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

10/23 sounds like the Stretch will be with us for a while and will undergo a face lift or two...
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.p ... post190958

[quote="sal"]Hi Paul,

We've got pretty good sourcing. Finding out what the customer would like is probably the most important. Then we'll figure out how to make it. I know that is backwards for most manufacturers, but it is our way.

Your suggestion for a checkered FRN is the same logic I come to. The streaking comment is intresting. My first choice is carbon fiber textured like the CF Millie, but I think cost would shrink that market. Maybe we can "imitate" CF in FRN?

Thanx for the input. All input is appreciated.

The Stretch, IMO, is a good ergonomic pattern, a good overall size, is well made and should serve well as an effective EDC, even if it is a bit of an "ugly duckling". Show your XYZ model, but cut with your Stretch. ]
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

10/23 Not really a major item...just interesting as I've seen Business school textbooks take 100+ pages to cover what Sal says in a few sentences. Although that there might be 50 designs hovering in the books at any one time is pretty interesting news.... :eek:

http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.p ... post190919
[quote="sal"]Discontinueing models is more complicated than it might seem, especially for Spyderco.

Naturally the first reason to disco any model would be to make room for the many new designs that we are always coming up with. Between our "in-house" designs and collaborations, there are usually 50 or so designs in the "R&D works" at any given time.

We also like to experiment with new concepts and new designers.

Sales are usually the primary consideration, but not the only consideration.

We might keep a slower moving design in the "line-up" for a number of reasons]
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

10/23 An interesting sub plot in the quest for steel...
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.p ... post190913

I think our first venture into non stainless steels will be with Ed Schempp's Camp knife.

D-2 is a good steel, as is M-2. We don't know the market size in Spyderco knives for those steels.

sal
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

10/20 over in bladeforums regarding use of BG-42 steel in a :spyder:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... ge=2&pp=20

We don't have enough for a large quantity of a model and we probably would not use it as a regular steel. So I would want to do a short of of something "fun" like a lil' Temp with an integral Titanium Compression lock.

sal
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

10/22 well Kristi isn't Sal but technicaly she is Sal's right hand Taz so...

http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.p ... post190703

Black Meadowlark and Black Cara Cara should be in inventory (at our warehouse) around the end of the month. The Robin and Finch... I'll post an update on Monday when I'm back in the office (sorry, I don't recall off the top of my head).

We're looking forward to all of them - thanks for your interest and support!

Kristi
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

10/26 regarding the Big Calypso...( :spyder: history)
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.p ... post191981

[quote="sal"]Hi 5150.

I don't remember the exact number of each, but as I remember, there were fewer plain edge versions. At the time, sales of serrated versions were greater than plain edge versions by significant multiples.

We didn't plan the model to be a "sprint". I thought the model would be a "classy" Police Model. Long, thin, lithe, micarta, etc. It was also our first VG-10 folder, which was a new steel at the time. I was pretty excited about the new design.

Reality is a firm, but honest teacher and as it tuned out, the model failed in the marketplace and we disco'd the piece after the first run.

Hindsight is supposed to be 20/20, but not always :rolleyes:

We "believe" the problems were]
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

10/26 why the new tip on delica, endura, pacific salt...

http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.p ... post191975
sal wrote:Hi CMD,

When we began plans to redesign the Endura and Delica as well as design the Salts, we did a lot of research to determine what could be improved on the current Endura and Delica models.

We spoke with customers at shows. We spoke with dealers and distributors. There were even a fair number of discussions on the forums. A lot of input was obtained from a wide variety of souces worldwide.

One of the major complaints was tip breakage. The new tips were specifically designed to still be able to penetrate easily, but we made the tips both wider and thicker. The overall results of the pattern and grind changes approximately double the tip strength.

We made many other refinements as well, but that's another subject.

sal
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

"Spyderco Fixed Blades" thread

http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.p ... 765&page=3

Sal speaking on the Temperence FB...

[quote="sal"]However, the present design will be disco'd for '06. I won't let it hurt my feelings and I will learn from the experience. ]
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
Magic

Post by Magic »

10/23 Sal posted this great piece of wisdom, right here in this very thread.

http://spyderco.com/forums/showpost.php ... stcount=49
sal wrote:

sal
I'm surprsised no one else has posted this to this thread yet! :D :D :D :rolleyes: :cool: