Sal's Casual Bombshell Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wrdwrght

Re: Sal's Casual Bombshell Thread

Post by wrdwrght »

vivi wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:24 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:36 am
Every time you add your own thought to this thread, you dilute this thread’s purpose. Thanks for that. /s
What a wonderfully ironic comment :rofl
OK, since it seems important to you to compound the problem with cleverness, I’ll compound the problem (yet again, and without irony) by asking you, a supposed influencer here, this question:

How would you make clear to your followers that this thread is meant to bump to the top as a general alert when only Sal is being quoted (because, you know, we parse his every word), and that this dynamic gets f*cked when personal reactions, understandable though they may be, get voiced.

But, hey, who am I to trample on other people’s fuhreedums by suggesting this thread originally had a purpose that people have tried to keep going for some 15 years.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
vivi

Post by vivi »

that was quite a post!

anyways people have been discussing "off topic" things in this thread for 17 years now, even Sal himself has done it.

:unicorn :rainbow :butterfly :bouquet
:unicorn
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Regarding the Dyad:
sal wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:41 pm
Peter and I are working on an "improved version with the "Hump" lower in the handle on the unused blade. Then Roque will make a hand made prototype. Then we'll re-evaluate.

sal
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

Sheesh it seems like people have less patience and goodwill lately. At the end of the day, it's just a knife forum! It's here to have fun with.

So as to stay on topic, I will say I'm very curious about the Edgerati. It is a fun name that evokes the performance cars that Spyderco somewhat based its name off of. "Spyder" being a term for roadsters. Porsche 918 Spyder, Toyota MR2 Spyder, Audi R8 Spyder, Mitsubishi Eclipse (RIP) Spyder, etc.

I also wonder if this model will be made in Italy with a name like that. If so, it probably isn't the performance Delica.
Last edited by Toucan on Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

Fireman wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:11 am
Maybe if it is a thin grind, Spyderco can sell it but at a different warranty so that people won’t abuse it. A “Razer” edge TM would be a good name. A double entendre. Perhaps a high hollow grind as well as a flat grind? Everyone will want a Spyderco “Razer” with a high performance steel.
I like the sound of that, but I'm missing the double entendre part. Could you elaborate? Also not to be a downer, but I think there's a consumer electronic company with that name so it might be hard to get that trademarked.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Toucan wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:04 pm

So as to stay on topic, I will say I'm very curious about the Edgerati. It is a fun name that evokes the performance cars that Spyderco somewhat based its name off of. "Spyder" being a term for roadsters. Porsche 918 Spyder, Toyota MR2 Spyder, Audi R8 Spyder, Mitsubishi Eclipse (RIP) Spyder, etc.

I also wonder if this model will be made in Italy with a name like that. If so, it probably isn't the performance Delica.
I'm thinking of ordering one of these performance Delicas when they release. I want to see just how thin they go, and give it a "test drive." I'd imagine I'll end up gifting it after evaluating it as I'm not the biggest Delica fan, but I want to support this project with my $$.

I can't remember if Sal ever specified whether these ended up being hollow or ffg?
:unicorn
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

vivi wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:13 pm
Toucan wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:04 pm

I'm thinking of ordering one of these performance Delicas when they release. I want to see just how thin they go, and give it a "test drive." I'd imagine I'll end up gifting it after evaluating it as I'm not the biggest Delica fan, but I want to support this project with my $$.

I can't remember if Sal ever specified whether these ended up being hollow or ffg?
IIRC, I think someone said it was gonna be hollow. I'm excited to see what it ends up like, but it seems like it will be very similar to the Centofante 3, another smallish VG10 FRN Seki backlock with a super thin hollow grind.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

SpyderNut wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:19 pm
Regarding the Dyad:
sal wrote:
Peter and I are working on an "improved version with the "Hump" lower in the handle on the unused blade. Then Roque will make a hand made prototype. Then we'll re-evaluate.

sal
Thank you much, I missed Sal’s comment about the Dyad . Sounds promising down the road . Much appreciated.
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

vivi wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:13 pm

I'm pretty sure he said high, hollow grind.
--Jeremy
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:55 pm
SpyderNut wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:19 pm
Regarding the Dyad:
sal wrote:

sal
Thank you much, I missed Sal’s comment about the Dyad . Sounds promising down the road . Much appreciated.
You are very welcome, my friend. 👍 I too was pretty excited to read that a “Dyad II” is in-the-works. Can’t wait!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Toucan wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:07 pm
Fireman wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:11 am
Maybe if it is a thin grind, Spyderco can sell it but at a different warranty so that people won’t abuse it. A “Razer” edge TM would be a good name. A double entendre. Perhaps a high hollow grind as well as a flat grind? Everyone will want a Spyderco “Razer” with a high performance steel.

I like the sound of that, but I'm missing the double entendre part. Could you elaborate? Also not to be a downer, but I think there's a consumer electronic company with that name so it might be hard to get that trademarked.
Razer vs razor to raze and the similarity to razor. Maybe not technically a double entendre.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

vivi, I got dibs. 😉 Of course you have peeps in your non-internet life though.
Spicy Suplex

Post by Spicy Suplex »

sal wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:03 pm
Currently carrying a "Leaf" blade Manbug proto.

Didn't realize I was performing a page 4 resurrection here, I'm sorry if this has been mentioned by Sal already! :spiral-eyes
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

sal wrote:
I’d like to report a robbery. Spyderco keeps taking all my money…
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Re: Police 4 Wharncliffe
Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:03 am

"I'm looking at a drawing right now. It's a big knife. It works. I'll get a hand made Proto from Roque and test it.

I also have a production byrd Harrrier 2 serrated Wharnie. Very nice piece.

sal"
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I've tried a few blades for the Manbug. Now 'm planning a Leaf blade version.

sal

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=91820
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

sethwm wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:05 pm
sal wrote:
I’d like to report a robbery. Spyderco keeps taking all my money…
I just saw this , very very funny 😄! MG2
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

We've been using 12C27 for the Grasshopper for a few years. We recently established a relationship with B.U. so you will see more of their steels down the pike.

Hey Toucan,

If I were to try GCr15 in China, I'd probably try it with the Polestar.

sal
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

About the Caribbean
sal wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:52 am
My long term goal is FRN. To introduce this new but some what strange model, I needed a pattern with good grip and easily visible. It was kind of a "Watershed" model. Materials , fitted, nested liners, LC, etc. When we catch up a bit, I'd like to make this model with an FRN pattern.

sal
Would be 100% on board for a Caribbean LW with Magnacut.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

thewoodpecker wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:30 pm
About the Caribbean
sal wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:52 am
My long term goal is FRN. To introduce this new but some what strange model, I needed a pattern with good grip and easily visible. It was kind of a "Watershed" model. Materials , fitted, nested liners, LC, etc. When we catch up a bit, I'd like to make this model with an FRN pattern.

sal
Would be 100% on board for a Caribbean LW with Magnacut.
That would be very enticing ! MG2
Henry David Thoreau