Knife Loss

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
madmedic

Knife Loss

Post by madmedic »

I'm in mourning... My first :spyder: purchase is now lost to the ages. The thing fell out of my pocket at work (Frn CE Delica incidentally, not the end of the world but still extremely aggrevating). Just curious as to how many of you have also lost your EDC spyder. Also any tips on how to prevent this from happening in the first place, any hints and tricks you've picked up long the way to keep the thing secure in your pockets or wherever else you carry them. It'll be a while until I can replace it, so I'll have lots of time to consider any suggestions you all come up with. thanks.
how do you want to be remembered today?
JohnM

Post by JohnM »

Sorry to hear that. Was it clipped to your pocket?
pjrocco

Post by pjrocco »

I have gone through this as well.. But I didn't lose mine.

I got pulled over on a traffic violation...The officer saw my Delica clipped in my pocket... So he took it. :(

It was also the first :spyder: I ever purchased.

I feel your pain.
Rock
skcusloa

Post by skcusloa »

clips sometimes loosen over time, check them and make sure they are secure. I bend mine so they grip very tightly. I've lost 2 spydies. A delica and a fully serrated military. The military was stolen. The other was lost on a river float trip. I was in and out of the raft constantly and it got away from me. I always carry a cheaper knife when I go out on the water now.

My current PE military has tried to slip away many times. I've actually had to chase people down and grab it out of the car before. It'll slip out some times when I'm doing things on the interior of cars.
4 s ter

Post by 4 s ter »

I had a PE Native that I'm sure is still in my house............somewhere :confused:
David

"Not all who wander are lost"
"To liner or not to liner? That is the question?" -- Sal
"Rule number nine: always carry a knife." -- Special Agent Jethro Gibbs/NCIS ;)
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

it sucks when you loose a knife.

but now you can buy a new one.
Childe Roland

Post by Childe Roland »

I lost my first Spyderco several years ago. It was an old Economy/Standard I got from my brother-in-law, and the only decent knife I had at the time. Very painful loss.
Fairlane

Post by Fairlane »

Sorry for your loss!

I have only lost three knives, but still painful.
I had my old very trusted Gerber BMF stolen.
Was almost impossible to get another.
And I have lost two CE Delicas.

It hurts every time i think of those Delica's.
naggalowmo

Post by naggalowmo »

hey rock,
i believe that that officer didnt confiscate your knife. he STOLE it. you are suppose to get a receipt if officers confiscate your belongings, otherwise you can report them for theft. at least according to the knife laws i've been reading up on.
Stasis

Post by Stasis »

Sorry to hear that.

The closest I have to a loss story is this. I was working in my back yard earlier this year with my SS Cricket clipped to the pocket of a pair of pants which were rather thin and slippery. Later, I discovered the Cricket was no longer there! :eek: That was my first Spydie as well. I looked (what I thought was) all over the place to no avail. By the next day, I was ready to buy a new one, but I took one last look in my yard and found it! :D I love that knife.

I don't wear those pants anymore. :p
madmedic

Post by madmedic »

It was indeed clipped to my pocket, I dont know how the heck it got loose. I only had the thing about a month, so the slip was still nice and tight. It'll be a fairly long while until I can get a replacement for it, going to college and saving for my wedding next year, every spare cent I have is eaten up. Unless someone here is feeling charitable I'll have to endure carrying my CE pika (gag) until I have the ching to get another REAL knife. thanks for the sympathies guys :( I feel a little better already.
how do you want to be remembered today?
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

I haven't lost one yet, but it would be pretty sad :( Sympathies to everyone whose lost a spyder. Just a good excuse to buy another though ;)
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I've sacrificed two to the almighty fish gods. The first was an FRN Endura, that somehow slipped out of my short's pocket while I was swinging on top of canopy of the boat I worked on. I turned around and saw it hit the side and disappear into the briny deep. I lost the second one, an FRN Delica, about a year later. I had just cut a hook off a stingray, and fumbled closing the knife, and dropped it. Again I watched it slip away into the water. I haven't lost anymore since those two.
Ed Schempp

Loss Prevention

Post by Ed Schempp »

Clip condition is very important. I occassionally have caught my clip on machinery and such and bent or losened the clip. A flat metal clip needs 3 screws to define a plane of attachment(10th grade geometry). Engineered attachments are better. The condition and the thickness of the material the knife is clipped to, light weight fabrique shorts will not hold as well as heavy denim.

Working conditions an what you are doing has much to do with dislodging a clipit. Carrying pipe or long lumber that you might draw up your thigh to handle the weight can push a clipit up right out of your pocket. Really any heavy load that you might support one yur hip can dislodge a clipit. A right handed person will probably carry the knife in the RFP and carry or balance a large or awkward load on thier right hip. When I'm looking at a task they these I unclip and put the knife in the pocket (sometimes it takes me a long time to find it afterwards). In that I'm doing all these tasks on my property I have found all the knives I have lost, some up to two years later.