camping knife, military?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
aero_student

camping knife, military?

Post by aero_student »

I'm trying to decide on a good camping knife. I think I want a linerlock. Right now the two likely candidates are the military and endura. I know many of you like the wegner but I don't like the blade shape. Right now I have a delica for edc.
Zoro

Post by Zoro »

You can't go wrong with the Military a lot of people that have not tried a flat ground blade don't khow how easy they slice through stuff like fruits & veggies and other things. They slice a lot better than other types of blade grinds.

Edited by - Zoro on 7/7/2001 8:55:21 PM
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

The Military would be a great camp knife, but if you don't mind lockbacks, get a Chinook...

We all start with 10 fingers. Those with Spydies have 9 to spare, Still need a thumb. Good thing I still have 8 to spare...
The Stare

Post by The Stare »

Depending upon the type camping you do, whether or not you mix in hiking/boating or whatever, the camp knife has the potential to turn into your survival knife. For that, you'd be better served by a fixed blade, than a folder, with whatever kind of lock.

If its to be a Spyderco, then I'd look at the Moran drop point. Most of the knives that are given the title "camp knife" have at least a 6" blade. Most are able to do some chopping, should that be required. IMO, for the price, one can't do a whole bunch better than the Becker Magnum Camp, designed by Jerry Fisk. Others swear by the Becker Campanion, which only has about a 5" blade.

One could go on and on about this subject. Will stop with the Grohmann knives and the Fallkniven. Suitable for both camping, and if necessary, survival.

My $.02 worth.

Stare
Tightwad

Post by Tightwad »

Yep, I'd have to agree with The Stare on this one....It could go on forever and has elsewhere. What-
ever you pick try and stick with flat ground blades in the 2.5" to 5" range. That gives you a gazillion
choices to pick from with none being wrong. don't over look the good old depndable SAK as a second
backup knife. Camping means utility / adaptablity first and foremost. The military fits into this range
but so do may many others. Think about how you'll be using the knife and pick what matches the need.
Have fun with this one ....there is no perfect knife.... only compromises.
Jeff/1911

Post by Jeff/1911 »

Having just spent the last five days camping and living with my Military plain edge, I must recommend it very highly for this task.

I used it to cut rope, tomatoes, cucumbers, limes, tie wraps, wiener sticks, plastic sheet, and many other things i can't recall just now.

It performed all of these tasks perfectly and remained nestled inconspicuouly inside the rear waistband of my shorts until needed. If I weren't so conscious of this knife (through sheer enthusiasm) I would have forgotten it was there, and likely gone looking for a knife when I needed one.

This would be a wonderful choice for anything that does not specifically require a fixed blade design. After all, this knife was reportedly designed as a backup to the Military issue fixed blade.

My first choice would be a plain edged Military, and a close second would be the serrated Military; which I plan to buy this week. The only reason for my first suggestion of a PE is for maximum versatility.

Jeff/1911.
yog

Post by yog »

I know what you mean Jeff. The Military is a big folder, and when open and working it feals a heavy knife. However when closed and clipped to a pocket you tend not to notice it, all of a sudden it becomes light and slim profiled.
Last weekend I had it clipped to the back pocket of my jeans, after a 50 mile drive I had to prune some branches from a tree, for a second there I couldn't remember where I had left my Milly ;-))
scolby

Post by scolby »

I agree with Stare, for camping out in wilderness type areas. I carry a Bob Dozier fixed blade with the cross-draw kydex sheath. Always ready and very affordable.

Since I live in San Francisco Bay Area however, many camping areas are near cities. Then I use a plain edge Military so that I can do a concealed carry.

I just ordered a Chinook yesterday tho, so I may be changing my mind.

"Chance favors the prepared mind" - Louis Pasteur