The Noble Quest Of The Perfect Edge...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fulldraw

The Noble Quest Of The Perfect Edge...

Post by Fulldraw »

I wanted to share a recent experience in knife sharpening, with you folks in the Spydie community. I realize that this subject may have come up before, but I wanted to share my thoughts and opinions on a particular product.

Let me preface my comments by saying that I've been sharpening my own knives for 30 years. I have always been fascinated by a sharp knife...ahh the noble pursuit of the perfect edge!

Yes, I can sharpen a knife on a bench stone freehand. This can be a slow process, and ultimately one will scratch the blade considerably. I own and have used bench stones, Lanskys, Gatcos, crock sticks, ceramic sticks, DMT stones, Eze-laps, and a few others which I'm sure I've forgotten.

I bought my first set of triangular Spyderco stones in 1986 or 1987. I have the newer model Sharpmaker 204 also, which I adore. I feel the Sharpmaker's role is best suited to "bring back" and maintain an edge, it does this job very nicely. For serrated blades it is great. If aggressive metal removal is you quest then other products may serve better.

I ordered an EdgePro professional model in early May. Due to a labor intensive bathroom re-modeling project, I have not had time to evaluate the product. A few nights ago, during a rainy evening I got the chance to try out the EdgePro.

I think I might have bought my last knife sharpening device, with the EdgePro!!!! It is AWESOME! My first session with the EdgePro was truly amazing. I sharpened a large number of kitchen knives, pocket knives and folders. In all about 35 knives, in a little over 2 hours. That in itself was an awesome feat. With a Lansky for example, this effort would have equated to several evenings.

The kitchen knives, some a wee bit neglected (including Wustoff and Henckels) were made exceptionally sharp with the medium 180 grit. That's one stone only! To produce similar results on a Lansky would have required a 3 stone stepped process. Then I tried the EdgePro on some pocket knives and folders of various steels.

Starting with the 180 grit and going up to the 600 grit, then finishing them with the polishing tapes. This produced an edge on the blades like I have never seen! Truly a mirror edge. The water stones sharpen better than anything I have ever encountered. And those polish tapes are the cat's meow!

The EdgePro is clearly expensive. After using one, I would have paid twice what it cost me. It's that good!

The EdgePro, is without a doubt is the best knife sharpening device I have ever used!

So many knives...so little time.
Louis Cohen

Post by Louis Cohen »

I was looking at the Edgepro photos trying to understand how it works. Do you set the angle by adjusting the legs?

And you sharpen by pulling the stone back and forth over the blade?

Do you use suction to hold the machine to the table?

Thanks
Fulldraw

Post by Fulldraw »

The edgepro has a rod that with the degrees of angle marked on it.

Yes, you can use a back and forth motion with the stone on the blade.

The base attaches to a surface via an industrial suction device.

cutler34

Post by cutler34 »

How was it at sharpening Syderco serrations?

Regards
Ricki
info@outdooredge.com.au
Spyderco Club Member
thorin hammer

Post by thorin hammer »

Where can you go to see a pic of the EdgePro?
Website, ect....
charlie

Post by charlie »

Edge Pro via web = http://business.gorge.net/edgepro/default.htm
It looks good, but there are 295 reasons I don't order one and they are all dollars.
sal

Post by sal »

I have an Edge Pro. I think it does a very good job.

I don't recommend a back and forth motion except for bevelling. IMO, one direction (leading with the cutting edge) will produce a better edge.

It is limited to knives. Serrations are sharpened by working on the back side (non ground side), but I wasn't as pleased with the job on serrations as on plain edges.

sal
Fulldraw

Post by Fulldraw »

I agree with Sal, on the EdgePro and serrations. The majority of knives I sharpen are plain edge and the EdgePro serves this task very, very well indeed. As for serrations the Spyderco sharpmaker does a good job at this with its' triangular stones.