How to void your warrantee

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mr Blonde

How to void your warranty

Post by Mr Blonde »

Finally found the perfect torx driver kit, and got two of them. The poor Dodo didn't stand a chance. Although it voids your warranty, it is quite enlightening to personally see how everything fits together.

Taking it apart was quite fast, two or three minutes tops. Putting it back together took a bit longer but still under ten minutes. A second time would be a lot faster.

Tip of the week: all you Dodo owners whose knife is a bit tight, try -carefully- loosening the smaller pins above the pivot pin. You can tighten the pivot pin as tight as possible, and then unscrew those smaller pins over it only half a turn. Smooth like butter.

Funny to see that two springs are used to propel the ball, a smaller one that fits inside the bigger one. Just like the recoil springs in the baby Glocks right?

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

Awesome Mr. Blonde, you've just given me the "how to dismantle a Dodo" manual.

It's definitely one of those knives I wanted to take apart and examine, just to see how it works. Still don't think I'll ever do it, but at least now I'll have a road map to put it back together. ;)

I think your warranty definitely went out the window though...
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
Chucula

Post by Chucula »

thanks for pictures, very enlightening. i can almost make out a figure on the reflection of the ball :)
2edgesword

Post by 2edgesword »

Very enlightening Mr Blonde. Thanks for sparing no expense for our education :) .
Certified Instructor - Martial Blade Concepts

"The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men, and if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it possible an empire can rise without His aid?" Benjamin Franklin
pjrocco

Post by pjrocco »

Very cool Wouter.

I have always been curious what the inside of a ball lock looks like.

Thanks! :cool:
Rock
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: Thanks for that, Wouter! :) :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
Rob

Post by Rob »

Hi Wouter!

Very interesting! Your pictures clarify a lot. Although I am not too fond of the lock itself (just doesn't work for me), I find it impressive how simple it actually is constructed.

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers, Rob
Slvgx

Post by Slvgx »

Wow. And I thought the BBL was a crazy mess of parts that I'd never understand. That is very simple looking.

Thanks for sharing!
ASA NISI MASA
Shmackey

Post by Shmackey »

Well, this confirms my suspicion that the Ball Lock is very similar to an Axis lock. It uses a ball instead of a cylindrical bar, and nested coil springs instead of two omega springs, but the idea is the same. I assume the ledge on which the ball sits is slightly angled, such that the ball can move a little farther forward to compensate for wear and to ensure a tight lockup.

Any idea if the lock would still work if one of the springs fails? That's a pretty nice feature on the Axis.
skcusloa

Post by skcusloa »

But which lock came first?

Besides this very convenient thread, how would they ever know you took something apart if you put it back together right?
ront

Post by ront »

Yes, the spring system is very similar to my G27. Although the smaller spring sits behind the larger one on the same rod. In theory though, it probably works alot the same.

Ron
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Thanks for that one Wouter!......Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Here is my addition.
Attachments
Dodospike.jpg
Dodospike.jpg (33.26 KiB) Viewed 1514 times
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
infamous

Post by infamous »

I second the notion of appreciating a peek inside the inner workings of a Spyderco knife. :)

For a perfectionist, and a collector rather than user, such as myself, seeing someone else take their Spydie apart is a real treat,.... due to the fact that I hesitate to even unscrew a pocket clip in order to change to tip-up/tip-down or what have you, or anything else for that matter. Since I am quite picky/paranoid about maintaining my collection in an immaculate condition, which means not unscrewing 1 screw, nor cutting 1 object with the blade.
"I Gave You Fair Warning .... Beware" -[infamous]-
gabo

Post by gabo »

Makes me wonder how a knife such as this is designed. For instance, the part that holds the ball and springs is a very odd shape. I would never guess it were part of the Dodo if it was displayed alone. Do computers do this or does Eric and Sal sit around hand filing prototypes until the fit and shape conform to the desired outcome? great pics, thanks
Ted

Post by Ted »

Nice shots Wouter ! - it's always fun to take knives apart. My Strider PT took my some time though...probably red loctite :rolleyes:
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Yes Ted, red loctite is the bane of the tinkerer! I don't know what the Chinese use on the Raven's and Crowfoot's clipscrews, but it's actually stronger than spydie red loctite. :mad:

One more tip for those of you who would like to start disassembling your own spydies; only use -perfectly- fitting torx drivers or you risk stripping screwheads.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Thanks for the thread Wouter(and the pics, very interesting)

The next time I get a "bad" knife, can I send it to you for adjustment? :D

This will be much cheaper for me than to send the knife back to Spyderco :D :D
Ted

Post by Ted »

[quote="Mr Blonde"]Yes Ted, red loctite is the bane of the tinkerer! I don't know what the Chinese use on the Raven's and Crowfoot's clipscrews, but it's actually stronger than spydie red loctite. :mad:

One more tip for those of you who would like to start disassembling your own spydies]

Yes indeed. I wanted to take my PT apart while on vacation so I got some cheap #6 and #7 torx wrenches at a hardware store. I damaged the pivot screw and a scale screw because the wrenches slipped and nearly stripped the heads. Luckily with the right equipment at home I was able to take it apart and put it back together properly.
HoB

Post by HoB »

Dodge wrote:Here is my addition.
Oh! Very cool! I wonder if you could add a Karambit hole that way to the Dodo?