Liner-lock vs. Lockback

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
John Smith

Liner-lock vs. Lockback

Post by John Smith »

I personally prefer good quality liner locks. Both lock designs have their uses. Which one do you prefer, and why?
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

for heavy use I like my knives to be as sturdy as possible, and go with lockback.

I prefer them, but some knives, like the cricket, only work with linerlocks.

We all start with 10 fingers. Those with Spydies have 9 to spare, Still need a thumb. Good thing I still have 8 to spare...
GronK

Post by GronK »

It depends on the design, execution, and expected use of the knife. Back locks tend to be a bit stiffer and slower, but lock up tighter. If you are going to be doing serious, heavy duty cutting it's hard to beat a lock-back. If you feel a need for speed, the liner lock's the one. When both are done really well they're close to being equal. I find myself reaching for the liner lock on my Spyderco Blackhawk and Dyad, and fumble around looking for the back lock on my Spyderco Vieles! (Salute, Sal and Co.!)

Just 'cause yer paranoid don't mean someone ain't out ta getcha
ftkinney

Post by ftkinney »

i like the speed and ease of one hand closing of the liner lock but there is a certain heavy duty old fasionness that i like about the lock back. for EDC a good liner lock is my choice.

FTK
lsstaipei

Post by lsstaipei »

I prefer lockbacks.I guess a well-made lockback will last longer than a well-made liner-lock.