Police model question - is this normal?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jeff/1911

Police model question - is this normal?

Post by Jeff/1911 »

Regarding my new Stainless steel Police model with serrated blade...

Is it normal to see the ends of the pivot pins through the stainless handles on one of these knives? I had never noticed this before when handling other Police models, but I can see a circle where the pivot pin appears to come to just under the surface of each handle scale and it looks as though the pin is about to come right through the scale. I can even feel this circle with my fingernail.

I didn’t notice this when I first received this knife a couple of days ago, but shortly after I got it I accidentally dropped it on the carpeted wooden floor while it was in the closed position. Upon inspection immediately after picking up the knife, I noticed these circles on either side of the handle. Did I damage the knife when I dropped it? Otherwise, the knife seems fine and cycles smoothly. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Jeff/1911.
knifenerd

Post by knifenerd »

Jeff

The pivot pin is just barely visible on mine. It looks as if it is sanded/finished flush with the handles during the final finishing process.

Dick AKTI #A001365
stu

Post by stu »

Jeff,

I agree with knifenerd, that is how the knife is made. If it is sticking out significantly, then it may be from the drop.

Take care,

stu
Jeff/1911

Post by Jeff/1911 »

Thank you folks,

Spyderholic, I thought that it had appeared I dropped the knife. Is it possible then that there was nothing visible when the knife was new? I honestly didn't notice, but I'm pretty sure it was just a smooth scale on each side. I think that I would have noticed this before.

The pivot seems perfectly tight and the action good. I guess this is just a scar to be gotten used to. Makes me mad at myself though, I really treasure the appearance of this knife, and hoped to keep it looking like new for awhile.

Jeff/1911.