I am confused by the polls.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
druid

I am confused by the polls.

Post by druid »

I can't be the only confused by all these polls .

Can anyone start a poll thread or is it an officially sanctioned thingy.

Is anyone really running this boat.

has the native become the clear choice for the forum knife,and is this really sal best-loved option. If so please post exact quote.

Can we concede that according to the polls we have decided on a blade length under 3 inches, G-10 scales. CPM 30v steel, delica and olive drab?

There's a problem in that the delica does not come in G. 10. And retooling costs are a major factor.

This topic is a major discussion that doesn't seem to go way. However there only seem to be about 20 or so major contributors to the discussion how many people think we can get 300 or close to 300 people for sure.

There seems to be a new delica coming out can this be made in Golden Colorado does anybody have any specifics on when it comes out and what its configurations/specifications are.

The full blade line of the native including the coal which can be included as blade length in some areas is over 3 inches.

I hope this is an overwhelming but there seemed a whole bunch of separate conversations going on no real consensus

what about the swick is that out all together
why
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

druid wrote:I can't be the only confused by all these polls .

As the native become the clear choice for the forum knife is this really sal best-loved option. If so please post exact quote.

Can we concede that according to the polls we have decided on a blade length under 3 inches, G-10 scales. CPM 30v steel, delica and olive drab?

There's a problem in that the delica does not come in G. 10. And retooling costs are a major factor.

This topic is a major discussion that doesn't seem to go way. However there only seem to be about 20 or so major contributors to the discussion how many people think we can get 300 or close to 300 people for sure.

There seems to be a new delica coming out can this be made in Golden Colorado does anybody have any specifics on when it comes out and what its configurations/specifications are.

The full blade line of the native including the coal which can be included as blade length in some areas is over 3 inches.

I hope this is an overwhelming but there seemed a whole bunch of separate conversations going on no real consensus
Yes, anyone can start a poll thread. Options are at the bottom of the thread start page.

No, no one is running this boat, that’s the beauty of it. There are, however, some moderators who occasionally check in.

Not real sure about the nature of your third question as the writing seems a bit spotty.

I would only concede that the people who voted have voiced their opinion.

I won’t voice out on your other questions since they are more about what a forum knife should be, and I do not wish to commit to a forum knife.
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Their really wouldent be any major retooling for the delica, sal said so.

as for the knife.

Its either going to be

delica
Native
Military

green or Blue

In G-10

Since the delica is the clear winner, the para seems like it would make more sense but it would be more expensive.

the new delicas and Enduras are not coming anytime soon. maybe end of 2006.

all of these different polls are just use recommendations.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I can't be the only confused by all these polls.
No Druid, at the very least you have me for company, probably more than a few others as well.

Anyone can start a poll, AFAIK, only a moderator or adminstrator can make one, or any other thread for that matter, "sticky".

Joyce, TazKristi, Sal and Carlos. The policy here has always been minimal intervention by the moderators. I've been coming here close to two years, and it's only these past few months that a very small group of extremely disrespectful and disruptive people have been a real problem for more than a day or two.

has the native become the clear choice for the forum knife,and is this really sal best-loved option. If so please post exact quote.
The native, in G10 was one of two models specifically suggested by Sal. The other was a G10 Delica. While the Delica might cost a few dollars less, it would require a minimum of 500 pieces, as it is made in Japan. The Native would only require 300, so it seems the more realistic option.

Can we concede that according to the polls we have decided on a blade length under 3 inches, G-10 scales. CPM 30v steel, delica and olive drab?Not really. The one problem is that some of the choices are mutually exclusive or at least more difficult to reconcile with one another. As an example, a Delica in S30V is far less likely than one in VG10 (or some other Japanese steel). The other problem is the bane of all online polls, that the results are always suspect to some degree, as someone with multiple accounts and no conscience can skew them fairly easily.

To my way of thinking, Sal offered it, so it must be doable. The real problem would be quantity needed to make it fly as a choice. If selling 300 Natives within the two forum communities is going to be difficult, selling 500 Delicas (or darn near anything else for that matter) certainly would be more so.

This topic is a major discussion that doesn't seem to go way. However there only seem to be about 20 or so major contributors to the discussion how many people think we can get 300 or close to 300 people for sure.Well there are more people over on BladeForums, some who's primary interest is Spyderco knives, and others who, although not exclusively Spyderco collectors, "may" be interested in a Forum marked knife. There are also some people who, for whatever reason, visit here often but do not elect to post. Some of them may also be interested, either in ANY forum knife, or in certain specific models. Hard to tell. Only way to really be sure is to take orders and deposits, and count them up. Then, in all those groups, there are those like myself, who may very well purchase more than one, especially if the model is one that they would consider using as a carry piece. So selling 300 units does not necessarily require finding 300 purchasers.

Have no real proof, but I really doubt it. Believe that, like all current and previous Delicas the "next generation" version will be made in Seki. I could be wrong, but I think right now the "smart money" would bet against a Golden made Delica.

True. That would limit it's appeal as a carry piece in some areas, but it still would be of interest to collectors as there are very few places, and none in this country, that prohibit the possession of a folder over 3".

Druid, I'm pushing sixty, have had a variety of interests in my lifetime, from knitting to motorcycle racing, and have belonged to a fairly diverse collection of clubs and organizations, in both the "real world" and "cyberspace". Have yet to find one where achieving a consesus on much of anything was easy. Sad fact is that, when it comes to "interest groups", a dictatorship works a lot better than a democracy. Belonged to one gun club for over ten years that finally disbanded without ever agreeing on a design for a patch.

what about the swick is that out all together
Not to sound like a broken record, but Sal offered several specific models, and at least a few of us think it might be both wise an polite to work with what has been offered. The title of the one SWICK related thread is a bit misleading, the author is asking "what if Sal offers" rather than reporting an offer that already occurred. Since Sal has posted several times in that thread, and made no comment on the idea, I would venture that it is not among the models he has a real interest in doing.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
spyderknut

Post by spyderknut »

Sal did suggest the Swick.
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing." -- my grandfather
Collector #041
dialex

Post by dialex »

druid wrote:There's a problem in that the delica does not come in G. 10. And retooling costs are a major factor.
Actually, no. Indeed, the Delica does not come in G-10 (at least yet) ;) , but there was the CF Delica made some time ago. The tooling costs are close to zero, basically you only need to replace the CF slabs with G-10 (prefferably blue). :D
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

spyderknut wrote:Sal did suggest the Swick.
Yes spyderknut, I stand corrected on that one. Did a search on sal for the last week, and, by golly, you're right, he did mention it. My only excuse is that the thread he posted it in had gotten so wild and wooly he could have offered a Bison Horn Kiwi and I might have missed it. :o Ok, so the SWICK is a viable option and would certainly have the advantage of keeping the price within the reach of the largest number of people.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
clovisc

stop the bullfight!

Post by clovisc »

yea -- i don't mean to disrespect anyone, but the polls seem sort-of insane to me.

the idea of a forum knife is really great, but maybe not that realistic.

in my opinion, someone at spyderco should just grab the somewhat enraged, out-of-control bull by the horns, and go:

1) "okay -- we decided to have a forum knife. here is what it is. if you're interested, pre-order in advance."

2) or else... "sorry, guys. no forum knife."

if spyderco wants to issue a forum knife, it's really their choice. no matter what it is, we should be thankful for the special consideration. a forum knife is not an opportunity for individual people to design their dream spydie.

in the short term, a forum knife might be a less than lucrative move for spyderco... but we all know that today's merchandising disasters and eccentric, oddball, one-off knife designs are tomorrow's prized collectables. the forum knives people don't want -- the ones leftover from the sprint run after advance orders have been taken -- can go to dealers, unmarked. there always will be people willing to buy a different colored spydie... eventually. and one day, rest assured, people will be fighting over them.

i seriously can't wait until the whole business is behind us, and the forum looks and feels back to "normal" again.
saracen

Post by saracen »

The way I am seeing this then is thet it has been narrowed down to either..

Native G10
Delica G10.. or
Swick

Now all we have to do is go from there, a poll anyone ? :D
:spyder: Paul.
Jimmy_Dean

Post by Jimmy_Dean »

The only thing I find confusing is that I come back here and now half the main discussion board is darn stickied.

Is that going to be there forever?

No disrespect, I think those thread are great and serve a purpose, just takes too much room at the top of the page for my taste.

little off-topic, sorry, rant mode off now
David Lowry

Post by David Lowry »

The Polls are freaking nuts.

It's like there are 10 cooks in the kitchen and not one of them can finish a single thing they started.

I wish someone would delete all the Polls and create ONE single Poll with all the choices. That someone should work for Spyderco.
Titus

Post by Titus »

Jimmy_Dean wrote:The only thing I find confusing is that I come back here and now half the main discussion board is darn stickied.

Is that going to be there forever?

No disrespect, I think those thread are great and serve a purpose, just takes too much room at the top of the page for my taste.

little off-topic, sorry, rant mode off now
I think that we should delete or at least unstick most of the stickys then start new ones once we decide on a model.
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

David Lowry wrote:The Polls are freaking nuts.

It's like there are 10 cooks in the kitchen and not one of them can finish a single thing they started.

I wish someone would delete all the Polls and create ONE single Poll with all the choices. That someone should work for Spyderco.
Theirs only 10 slots for polls.

I think their fine/
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

The Polls were stuck at the request of those who started them. Out of respect for their attempt to take on this project, I would ask that they request the polls be "unstuck". PMs sent to those who started each thread.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

clovisc wrote:yea -- i don't mean to disrespect anyone, but the polls seem sort-of insane to me.

the idea of a forum knife is really great, but maybe not that realistic.

in my opinion, someone at spyderco should just grab the somewhat enraged, out-of-control bull by the horns, and go:

1) "okay -- we decided to have a forum knife. here is what it is. if you're interested, pre-order in advance."

2) or else... "sorry, guys. no forum knife."

if spyderco wants to issue a forum knife, it's really their choice. no matter what it is, we should be thankful for the special consideration. a forum knife is not an opportunity for individual people to design their dream spydie.

in the short term, a forum knife might be a less than lucrative move for spyderco... but we all know that today's merchandising disasters and eccentric, oddball, one-off knife designs are tomorrow's prized collectables. the forum knives people don't want -- the ones leftover from the sprint run after advance orders have been taken -- can go to dealers, unmarked. there always will be people willing to buy a different colored spydie... eventually. and one day, rest assured, people will be fighting over them.

i seriously can't wait until the whole business is behind us, and the forum looks and feels back to "normal" again.
I posted those polls because Kristi asked for them.
IMHO you are right.I would be much better for Spyderco just to pick a couple differant models that they can do and a couple colors they can do and take a vote on that.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]