Forum Knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Childe Roland

Post by Childe Roland »

Because I think my disinterest in the forum knife is indicative of the near impossibility of actually getting it made.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Childe,

Appreciate your opinion. All opinions from anyone that bothers to take the time to post is valuable to us.

My preference would be to create a "forum knife" that is a hard-user. I prefer that my designs be used. My design skill is in the performance of the hand cutting tool. My efforts are in safe, reliable high performance.

My first choice would be to make a Native, colored G-10, skeletonized liners, S30V or even S125V, 4 way clip. The "value" of the piece would be in its abilities, not in the engraving. It would be appreciated when used.

But even consumer direct, the cost of such an item is higher than many can afford.

sal
4 s ter

Post by 4 s ter »

sal wrote: My first choice would be to make a Native, colored G-10, skeletonized liners, S30V or even S125V, 4 way clip. The "value" of the piece would be in its abilities, not in the engraving. It would be appreciated when used.

But even consumer direct, the cost of such an item is higher than many can afford.

sal

Sal - That Native would be my first choice too!!! Regarding the cost, I could buy 1 really special Forum knife or 2 regular FRN knives for about the same price. I'd rather have the one G-10 Native Forum Knife than any two FRN models.

David
David

"Not all who wander are lost"
"To liner or not to liner? That is the question?" -- Sal
"Rule number nine: always carry a knife." -- Special Agent Jethro Gibbs/NCIS ;)
Childe Roland

Post by Childe Roland »

Hello, Mr Glesser.
I appreciate your response.I'm certainly not trying to denigrate the idea of creating a new forum knife, but speaking strictly as a knife buyer I don't see many people buying it simply because it is a "forum knife."
I agree with your preference for a hard use knife. Actually, you may have just gotten me interested in a forum knife. A Native with skeletonized liners and 4-way clip sounds like something I would buy if it becomes a reality.

Good luck in getting the knife made.
spyderknut

Post by spyderknut »

sal wrote:Hi Childe,

Appreciate your opinion. All opinions from anyone that bothers to take the time to post is valuable to us.

My preference would be to create a "forum knife" that is a hard-user. I prefer that my designs be used. My design skill is in the performance of the hand cutting tool. My efforts are in safe, reliable high performance.

My first choice would be to make a Native, colored G-10, skeletonized liners, S30V or even S125V, 4 way clip. The "value" of the piece would be in its abilities, not in the engraving. It would be appreciated when used.

sal
Hello Sal!

I'd be happy with that Native. I'd be happy with any forum knife you are willing to produce.

Price sensitivity would probably be the limiting factor for most folks. Is the minimum production run 500? How much would price creep up if only half that figure were produced? Do you have an idea what price point would maximize sales and minimize risk to Spyderco? Design constraints with price point in mind might help us reach some sort of concensus around here. We may have to make hard choices like S125V vs. G10, not both.

I am sure you hate to design your tools around price point but I can't think of a consumer product (other than extreme luxury items) that is not designed with price and profit margin in mind.
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing." -- my grandfather
Collector #041
spyderknut

Thank You!

Post by spyderknut »

Oh, and one more thing.

I heartily thank Sal, Kristi and Spyderco. They have clearly indicated a desire to proceed with a new Forum knife.

All we have to do is tell them what we want and are willing to pay for.
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing." -- my grandfather
Collector #041
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

The majority of the people here are 30+ years of age.

Lonewolf,vampyrewolf and myself and Theboy are the only under 23 years of age hear to my knowledge.

You all most likely have familys and have jobs.

so what is the big deal with the price. I dont understand.

why not make the knife a collection investment.

I am 20 and would pay $220 tops down payment on a forum knife.

depending on the make of it and the model.

I think some 30-40 year olds need to relize, $200 aint that much money.
smcfalls13

True...

Post by smcfalls13 »

Maybe I'm in the small minority that this really affects, but the money is a big factor for me.

I'm only 24, that may be much younger than a lot of you, and it may be slightly older than some. But the fact remains that despite my young(?) age, I have far too many financial obligations. While I enjoy purchasing knives, I can only buy so many before I start to have problems. I have a mortgage, and all the bills that go with owning a house, water, electricity, maintenance and repairs. My car is 19 years old and needs fixing every few months. Add to that putting myself through college, and the knife budget is pretty slim. All this, and I'm just 24.

Imagine what the financial obligations are for those who are older than me, possibly with money sucking children, and its easy to see why the price becomes such a big issue.

I'll be perfectly honest. I am being incredibly irresponsible with how I spend money on :spyder: s. I think the majority of people here are more restrained and fiscally responsible than I am. I also think the general knife buying population is the same way. $200 may not be much to some, **** a year ago I would have spend twice that on a knife, but to others, in similar, if not worse situations as I, just simply cannot afford it.

I'm not trying to pick a fight, I'm just trying to justify why the price is an important factor to me. This may be totally irrelevant to everyone else, but until friends start donating to my habit, its gotta be restrained.
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
Titus

Post by Titus »

smcfalls13 wrote:Maybe I'm in the small minority that this really affects, but the money is a big factor for me.

I'm only 24, that may be much younger than a lot of you, and it may be slightly older than some. But the fact remains that despite my young(?) age, I have far too many financial obligations. While I enjoy purchasing knives, I can only buy so many before I start to have problems. I have a mortgage, and all the bills that go with owning a house, water, electricity, maintenance and repairs. My car is 19 years old and needs fixing every few months. Add to that putting myself through college, and the knife budget is pretty slim. All this, and I'm just 24.

Imagine what the financial obligations are for those who are older than me, possibly with money sucking children, and its easy to see why the price becomes such a big issue.

I'll be perfectly honest. I am being incredibly irresponsible with how I spend money on :spyder: s. I think the majority of people here are more restrained and fiscally responsible than I am. I also think the general knife buying population is the same way. $200 may not be much to some, **** a year ago I would have spend twice that on a knife, but to others, in similar, if not worse situations as I, just simply cannot afford it.

I'm not trying to pick a fight, I'm just trying to justify why the price is an important factor to me. This may be totally irrelevant to everyone else, but until friends start donating to my habit, its gotta be restrained.
I agree with smcfalls13.
davec

Post by davec »

Well said guys, sometimes those darned bills have to take precedence over new knives.
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

I just dont see how a 40 year old man could not afford $100 for somthing he really likes.
RWL

Post by RWL »

sal wrote:

sal

I also like the Native you suggest Sal, sounds great to me, I would be willing to put down a deposit. I think the Native is a great user knife. I hope that the auto spyderco is still coming out some time in the future
Ron :spyder:

WTC #1518 #1535
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

sal wrote:...My first choice would be to make a Native, colored G-10, skeletonized liners, S30V or even S125V, 4 way clip. The "value" of the piece would be in its abilities, not in the engraving. It would be appreciated when used....
sal
:spyder: Sounds great Sal! I don't have a native yet! ;) :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

Somehow I missed Sals post,That Native idea sounds great to me.

How can a 40 year old not have 100.00 extra.
Try getting a wife,house,2 cars,2 kids,lights,food,gas,insurance(medical-dental-vision-auto-home-life),land taxes,cable,internet,medical bills the insurance doesn't cover,clothing for 4,intertanment now and then,and several dozen more things I can't think of off the top of my head.
I really can't belive my family is still able to get some of the personal things we enjoy.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
Ted

Post by Ted »

sal wrote:... Native, colored G-10, skeletonized liners, S30V or even S125V, 4 way clip. ...
:) :) :) :)
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

[QUOTE=Vincent]I just dont see how a 40 year old man could not afford $100 for somthing he really likes.[/QUOTE]

How could you understand if you never had to support your family. Its a real world kinda thing.
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

Indeed Vincent , for me a 100$ is a pair of shoes for one of my kids, or 4 days food, a new tire, and two filled gas tanks for the car. Don't think "old" people can draw handfull of $ out of their hats.

Some have to support family's on limited resources. Also remember that some people don't live in the US and with shipping, customs and import taxa knife is nbelievable expensive here.

I found a European importer who could get me the WTC knife, you know what he asked to get it? 400 Euro that's 497 $ for that knife!

We normally pay the double MSRP in Europe for a :spyder:

The average wage of a middleclass male in my country per month is 2000$ a month.

We have members in our community that live in countries with way lower montly income.

greetz
決してあきらめてはいけない
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

Yojimbo wrote:Indeed Vincent , for me a 100$ is a pair of shoes for one of my kids, or 4 days food, a new tire, and two filled gas tanks for the car. Don't think "old" people can draw handfull of $ out of their hats.

Some have to support family's on limited resources. Also remember that some people don't live in the US and with shipping, customs and import taxa knife is nbelievable expensive here.

I found a European importer who could get me the WTC knife, you know what he asked to get it? 400 Euro that's 497 $ for that knife!

We normally pay the double MSRP in Europe for a :spyder:

The average wage of a middleclass male in my country per month is 2000$ a month.

We have members in our community that live in countries with way lower montly income.

greetz
Thats ridiculous, would it be cheaper if someone here bought it for you and than shipped it over? Or are taxes and customs so bad it wouldn't even make a difference? Sorry, not very familiar with international shipping.
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
OutofGum

Post by OutofGum »

sal wrote:
I think a lot of people can afford an expensive knife, but don't want to spend a lot for a hard use knife. If someone has a choice between using their normal $60 native, and their say $120 limited edition forum knife, chances are, the regular native is coming out. Additionally, the higher the knife is priced, and the more limited the production, the more investors will want it. If people do know they want to use their knife, often, they get 2.

I don't think that the problem will be selling enough knives, I think the problem will be having them put to the use you want.
To the pessimist the glass is half empty, to the optimist the glass is half full, to the engineer its twice as big as it needs to be.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi OutofGum.

The problem is selling enough knives.

In the past, we'd make 300 pcs for a forum knife, which is not as easy as it sounds, sell 75 to the forumites and have to close out the balance. We would prefer to avoid doing that again.

I'm always open to solutions.

sal

---------------------------------------------------

"reality is a firm but honest teacher".