Forum Knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyderknut

Post by spyderknut »

Mr Blonde wrote:Ok, so to start with we need to agree on the model. Perhaps we can choose a model first, before we get to the modifications? Ofcourse there are different catefories, with different price tags to match, so let's see what we can come up with. My pick:

Gent's knife: Navigator II
Medium size user: Paramilitary
Large size user: Manix

Perhaps if we can all decide on the model first, then the modifications are easier to narrow down. Previous forum knives were mainly based on one person's epiphany, but now too many people have different preferences.

And I have no problem with deposits and payng in advance. So what type of knife would you like the forum model to be?

Wouter
I agree Wouter, we need to narrow our choices. Perhaps it would be better to start with broad categories and gradually narrow down. Pricing is inherent in these categories and we all know prices pretty well. A poll pitting FRN vs G10 vs metal handle then once we pick one of these categories we can take nominations on specific models, colors etc and eventually come to a concensus.

Say, how do we do those poll threads?

Does this proposed process seem fair to folks?
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing." -- my grandfather
Collector #041
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

spyderknut wrote:I agree Wouter, we need to narrow our choices. Perhaps it would be better to start with broad categories and gradually narrow down. Pricing is inherent in these categories and we all know prices pretty well. A poll pitting FRN vs G10 vs metal handle then once we pick one of these categories we can take nominations on specific models, colors etc and eventually come to a concensus.

Say, how do we do those poll threads?

Does this proposed process seem fair to folks?

hastent this been done by Yojimbo and myself, it was done with almost no support so a 3rd attempt is not recommended.

Shows people want a 3" G-10 knife.
spyderknut

Post by spyderknut »

Vincent wrote:hastent this been done by Yojimbo and myself, it was done with almost no support so a 3rd attempt is not recommended.
Shows people want a 3" G-10 knife.
Well, yes and no Vincent. I like the idea of these polls. What I am suggesting is indeed quite similar. I am suggesting starting with fairly broad categories. Give it a week or two of voting opportunity then move onto the next narrower poll. Patience is a virtue, Vincent. It will come to you too with age and maturity.
Collector #041
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

I have no patience.

but why dont we plan for the 2006 knife and forget the 2005.

knowing how their arent even 60 active mebers on this forum and i got 51 in 24 hrs, it seems that they are the only ones that matter, because theseare the people who will buy the knife.

It been about a week

people want G-10
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.p ... ight=forum

Lock=Compression
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.p ... ight=forum

so unless their is a dramatic change we are looking at

Para=Good chance
Lil' temp= no chance
Mini-manix= better chance but we dont know about it.

I have a Para and wouldent mind buying a 2nd model. Compression lock is awsome also, best lock spyderco has.

But why not just bring back Yajimbo's polls, they were good and got a decent response.
Michael Cook

De gustibus non es disputandem!

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: Well, let's set up a new poll with just model names first and just go from there.
There's no point in arguing with Vincent over his opinion.
Although I think he's in the minority in wanting a more expensive/top of the line knife for a forum knife he's always impressed me with his unswerving love for his tip down liner locked knife with the jury scaring name :p
His spirited suggestion for color scheme is striking if a bit tactical-schmactical. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

some people say they would like a G-10 delica, the knife is still going to be near or over $100, so i cant see getting vg-10 over s30v. but thats just me,

Thank micheal, yes I would love for the forum Knife to be another Military, but I can settle on other knives.

Their seems to be a trend that a 3" blade is just right, I find it a little small and say the bigger the better. but i like the para enogh.

make sure knivesare listed in the new poll as they are the most likely

Military
Para-Military
Manix
Delica
Endura
Calypso jr.

Just my recommenedations on the most populat models. feel free to add.

Dont add the Lil' Temp. Its discontinued and id say their is ZERo chance of us getting it.
boxer93

Post by boxer93 »

sal and Kristi,
Thanks for chiming in. I will be waiting for your direction. I am also willing to make a deposit or prepayment.
Chris
Be Excellent to each other.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Hey all. I think Sal pretty much said it all. We need more definitive information. As to something suggested previously, we don't keep any parts around that we could potentially use for something like this.

The idea of a poll listing only types/models and then narrowing things down to another poll and so on seems like the best thing. We'll keep an eye on the polls and when you have a consensus Spyderco will chime in (or if needed, as you're going through the process).

So, who is willing to start a new poll?

Have a great weekend!

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
sal

Post by sal »

There is also the possibility of a "Swick" variation.

sal
spyderknut

Post by spyderknut »

I am fine with a green G10 mini-Manix, UK penknife or Delica. That would be my personal order of preference.

The next generation FRN Delica will have a stronger tip and other improvements. If we want an FRN Delica, I think it would be wise to wait for the next generation. It would also be a nice way to celebrate the redesign of the all time best seller.

I really think it is a bad mistake to entirely discount our very first forumite-designed knife. I think Dialex's knife should be a forum knife whenever it comes out regardless of these polls.

We may not be able to get 2005 forum knife constructed and delivered in 2006. We don't know what production capacity constraints Spyderco has to work within.
Collector #041
Zwaplat

Post by Zwaplat »

sal wrote:There is also the possibility of a "Swick" variation.

sal
Now thát's an idea !
But then, I won't be able to buy a Swick of the first run :( .
Or would you take a few of that batch and engrave them for forum knife ? A special special. A collectible collectible. A...
I'M IN!
sal

Post by sal »

I was thinking of a custom designed Swick.

sal
spyderknut

Post by spyderknut »

sal wrote:I was thinking of a custom designed Swick.

sal
How do you mean custom? Like white linen micarta or something or are you talking blade shape variation?
Collector #041
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

sal I think it would be greatly appraciated if you told us what is possible and what is not.

some people have some wild ideas which seem pretty unrealistic.

so maybe a few recommendations you arer willing to take part in on a business standpoint.

all of these polls do nothing.

If 20 people vote for G-10 handles and 12 vote for FRN. Those 12 probrolly wont buy the G-10.

Their has to be one large general concensus.

like whatare the Limits of what can be done and what are the time frames.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

The Swick would be an even cooler idea, since it's not even out yet. I didn't think it would even be a feasible possibillity because it's in R&D and all. I'm on board for a Swick, but that goes for any model that is small enough to travel in most places.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
jaislandboy

SWICK with Daywalker's Hawkbill blade?

Post by jaislandboy »

I'd like a SWICK variation with Daywalker's Protohawk blade! :p
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
smcfalls13

To be honest...

Post by smcfalls13 »

To be perfectly honest, I'll buy whatever is put out, unless it exceeds my budget(which changes depending on how much I want it) and I think a lot of people are probably the same way. Just the oppurtunity to own a forum knife would be enough for me. I'll have to dig in the couch to afford it, but in the end, Delica, Paramillie, Prototype forum knife, or Swick. I'll end up buying it anyway.

I think MSRP will be the most important factor in whether anyone will buy the knife, the higher the price, the more people will want specific things that appeal to them to justify paying that price. If the price is lower, I assume people will be more prone to buying a knife that doesn't meet every single one of their needs, simply because its a little less expensive. Especially for non U.S. members who have to pay ridiculuous shipping charges, this could be a major factor.

Just my opinion...
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
Titus

Post by Titus »

smcfalls13 wrote:To be perfectly honest, I'll buy whatever is put out, unless it exceeds my budget(which changes depending on how much I want it) and I think a lot of people are probably the same way. Just the oppurtunity to own a forum knife would be enough for me. I'll have to dig in the couch to afford it, but in the end, Delica, Paramillie, Prototype forum knife, or Swick. I'll end up buying it anyway.

I think MSRP will be the most important factor in whether anyone will buy the knife, the higher the price, the more people will want specific things that appeal to them to justify paying that price. If the price is lower, I assume people will be more prone to buying a knife that doesn't meet every single one of their needs, simply because its a little less expensive. Especially for non U.S. members who have to pay ridiculuous shipping charges, this could be a major factor.

Just my opinion...
Yes, a Paramilitary would end up being over $200 for the European members. Actually, it would probably be too expensive for most of the forumites. So a knife like the Delica, Native, or SWICK would be ideal from a financial standpoint.
Yojimbo

Jipiiiiiieeeeee

Post by Yojimbo »

SAL, perfect idea, the combination (for me) of two knives in one! I was planning on buying a swick , and if :spyder: could spice it up as a forum model it would be fantastic. And then i can buy two, one for carry (non forum) and one for collecting.

:D :D

I really hope this goes thru.

ps i hope you don't have to be a member of the :spyder: collectors club to get one is it? That would be a real bummer
決してあきらめてはいけない
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Titus wrote:Yes, a Paramilitary would end up being over $200 for the European members. Actually, it would probably be too expensive for most of the forumites. So a knife like the Delica, Native, or SWICK would be ideal from a financial standpoint.

Why do you think that.

wouldent a knife be cheaper in Europe.

being if the Para goes for MSRP @ $189 USD.

The echange rate is

189.00 USD

=

151.899 EUR Euro

so its cheaper

1 USD = 0.803700 EUR
1 EUR = 1.24425 USD

Shipping is not a Concearn, USPS will ship almost anywear in europe for under $10

189.00 USD
United States Dollars

=
104.144 GBP
United Kingdom Pounds

1 USD = 0.551025 GBP
1 GBP = 1.81480 USD