Forum Knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Hello all! Haven't been ignoring this thread... just been crazy busy... will be able to post a reply/comment within next couple of days. Please hang in there. :)

Thank you!
Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Ok, this has just become excruciating. What will Kristi be able to tell us? This weekend will be tough! :p

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
sal

Post by sal »

We're watching the thread.

As mentioned, some degreee of concensus must be achieved. It is most difficult for us to build something if we don't know what to build.

We could probably get away with 500 pieces if it was, as mentioned, an existing design. We could also make several 500 pc runs of different colors or materials. Even a G-10 Delica or Native is easier than a new design with new tooling for all parts.

That's why we used a Caly jr for the ZDP project. With no tooling costs, the price can be lower. If we have tooling costs, divided between 500 pcs, this adds quite a bit to each pc.

We would probably want a "sign-up" and maybe even a deposit.

sal

-------------------------------------------------

The entire "business chain" from; raw materials, manufacturing, marketing, selling, distributing, shipping, warrantees, insurance, credit, etc. ALL EXISTS to service the ELU (End Line User). Remove the ELU from the equation and the entire business chain falls like a house of cards. We all work for you!
4 s ter

Post by 4 s ter »

sal wrote: Even a G-10 Delica or Native is easier than a new design with new tooling for all parts.
Another G-10 Native would always be welcome, but since there has already been a G-10 Native Forum Knife it might be best to pick another model. I'd be happy to have a G-10 Delica chosen as a Forum Knife. It a classic design, but with upgraded handle material
sal wrote:We would probably want a "sign-up" and maybe even a deposit
With the past sales of Forum knives this is understandable. Heck, I'd pay the full cost in advance. After all, If you can't trust Sal to deliver, who can you trust?

David
David

"Not all who wander are lost"
"To liner or not to liner? That is the question?" -- Sal
"Rule number nine: always carry a knife." -- Special Agent Jethro Gibbs/NCIS ;)
Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray »

Hmmmmmmm ... Sal .. I'd like a Forums Stretch ..... (1st choice abalone .... as an inset, then nice wood, then white MOpearl) .... :D :D :spyder: If not that ..., then a Delica .... (Purple G10 ...).. I'd rather have the Stretch, but then the Delica might sell huge ...

my 2 cents,
Steve
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

I think some of you guys are really off on your understanding of how a business is ran.

It will not cost them 108k to put a different colored handle on a knife.

It will not come close to that to switch the handle material.

You dont need a custom maker to make a knife a different color.

All sal would ahve to say for somthing like a Delica. hey seki, i think were going to need 1200 FRN delicas with Pink Handles. Pink is the same price as Blue or Black, their may be some difference but its nothing dramatic.

Same with G-10.

batch sizes can be adjusted. Sure the more you buy the cheaper it is. But spyderco doeant buy all that much anyway, because they arent that big of a Company. They arent gerber or victorinox.

You guys are making way to big of a deal of this.

In the end all that it comes down to is profits, sal will decide is this knife worth putting out to our loyal customers. he will make the choice, wether he gains profit or looses from it, it still has to be a step foward for him, because thats how every business is ran. if he didnt see any improvments coming from a specific product then he wouldent do it.

and improvements can mean alot of things and each can mean somthing tottaly different to every person.
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

My vote is still for a Combo edge Para-Military with black blade and an OD green handle.
Michael Cook

I'm in regardless, where do I send my $$$???

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: A Purple G10 (or frn, I'm easy ;) ) delica would be pretty cool to me. :cool: :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
pjrocco

Post by pjrocco »

A blue G-10 Delica...

Where do I sign and would you like Cash, Check or CC?
Rock
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

I am in for what ever but one that would not have to be retooled for would be a Starmate in Lil Temp green G10 and S30V steel.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
Gerard Breuker

Post by Gerard Breuker »

500 pieces is a lot of knives IMO.
I wonder if we can get even close to such a number and that is probably what we should consider before dreaming on about exotic G10 colors or whatever. As mentioned before the price is another important factor to some and something we should decide about before choosing model, handle etc.
Anyway I am in of course.
Titus

Post by Titus »

There will be new Byrds with G10. Why not make some of those in a green or blue color? Then they would be economical for those that need the forum knife to be less expensive.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Ok, so to start with we need to agree on the model. Perhaps we can choose a model first, before we get to the modifications? Ofcourse there are different catefories, with different price tags to match, so let's see what we can come up with. My pick:

Gent's knife: Navigator II
Medium size user: Paramilitary
Large size user: Manix

Perhaps if we can all decide on the model first, then the modifications are easier to narrow down. Previous forum knives were mainly based on one person's epiphany, but now too many people have different preferences.

And I have no problem with deposits and payng in advance. So what type of knife would you like the forum model to be?

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

I like the idea of a G-10 Delica. It would do this little workhorse (pony?) justice. Any thoughts about a UK Pen with a lock?
Slvgx

Post by Slvgx »

Piet.S wrote:I like the idea of a G-10 Delica. It would do this little workhorse (pony?) justice. Any thoughts about a UK Pen with a lock?
The mini manix may be what you're looking for. It would be very similar, but no pictures out on the mini manix yet. For a while I wanted a locking UK Penknife but there is not very many people on our side Piet :) . Luckily the mini manix will probably be just as good to me :D
ASA NISI MASA
Zwaplat

Post by Zwaplat »

The Navigator II would be nice.
Delica, perhaps. But I'd rather spend my money on a different knife, as I already have one.

Oh, and Vincent, we all know by now you want a milly. Stop saying it.
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Zwaplat wrote:The Navigator II would be nice.
Delica, perhaps. But I'd rather spend my money on a different knife, as I already have one.

Oh, and Vincent, we all know by now you want a milly. Stop saying it.
no, I said i wanted a Military on the 1st thread of this thread, Only one time

and stop crying. i could care less if you cant afford either the para or Military, your the one in denial and missing out.

everybody else here knows they are pretty much at the top of what spyderco makes.

and its what people want, because they know they are great knives.

Looks to me that the clear majority want a knife that will cost $100+USD

and how could it be so much to ship it to belgium, USPS EMS. or Global Priority is $4-$15, not that big of a deal if ya want the knife.

http://ircalc.usps.gov/intl_speed.asp?C ... 1&Ounces=1

Im sorry if their aretaxes and stuff i didnt add in, i dont know them,

Just ask to have the knives shipped in a small padded envelope, They could flatten the box to keep shipping costs down and just put some bubble wrap around the knife.
Zwaplat

Post by Zwaplat »

*sigh* With Milly I mean either Military or Para-Military. And 60 dollars (or even more) is a **** of a lot of money for a simple student. Even more so if he has to spend a lot of money on a new PC because some company named Acer gave me a sh*t laptop, that broke down just out of warranty. Repair costs=costs for a new PC.
Btw, I've never complained about shipping costs, they're a laugh against the price of a Milly.
60/70 dollar knife: yes please. 130/150 dollar knife: no thank you. Not now anyway.

And I've already stated that all Spyderco knives are top of the line for me. Be it a Jester or a friggin' Milly. It's sharp, it cuts, that's what counts.

(btw, you're the only one here I've seen absolutely begging for a Milly)
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Zwaplat wrote:*sigh* With Milly I mean either Military or Para-Military. And 60 dollars (or even more) is a **** of a lot of money for a simple student. Even more so if he has to spend a lot of money on a new PC because some company named Acer gave me a sh*t laptop, that broke down just out of warranty. Repair costs=costs for a new PC.
Btw, I've never complained about shipping costs, they're a laugh against the price of a Milly.
60/70 dollar knife: yes please. 130/150 dollar knife: no thank you. Not now anyway.

And I've already stated that all Spyderco knives are top of the line for me. Be it a Jester or a friggin' Milly. It's sharp, it cuts, that's what counts.

(btw, you're the only one here I've seen absolutely begging for a Milly)

id re-read this thread then.

http://spyderco.com/forums/showpost.php ... stcount=19
http://spyderco.com/forums/showpost.php ... stcount=21
http://spyderco.com/forums/showpost.php ... stcount=23
http://spyderco.com/forums/showpost.php ... stcount=31
http://spyderco.com/forums/showpost.php ... stcount=59
http://spyderco.com/forums/showpost.php ... stcount=73

VultureParade also wanted one.

so I aint the only one. alot of people are also recommending the Manix or Mini-manix which is also a $100+ knife.
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

and The best possible forum knife in my Opinion would be either para or Militray

Looking like this\