Any Interest In A Compression Lock Shabaria, Sprint Run?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
VultureParade

Any Interest In A Compression Lock Shabaria, Sprint Run?

Post by VultureParade »

Who would buy one?

I know I'd be down for one or two. The older models are increasing in price and rarity, so snaring a Shabaria for EDC is becoming pretty difficult.

Change to a compression lock

Enlarge the opening hole a bit

Maybe change the handle color? What about maroon micarta or g-10?

I think it's really an amazing design and well suited for a huge variety of tasks. I'd like to see it make another appearance.

Any thoughts?

-Bryan
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

I would buy a Military with a compression lock.
4 s ter

Post by 4 s ter »

Sorry, but nothing about the Shabaria really appeals to me personally. I know people who EDC the Shabaria but it just isn't for me.

David
David

"Not all who wander are lost"
"To liner or not to liner? That is the question?" -- Sal
"Rule number nine: always carry a knife." -- Special Agent Jethro Gibbs/NCIS ;)
Zrexxer

Post by Zrexxer »

The Shabaria was a collaboration with Eduard Bradichansky. Mr. Bradichansky was killed when the Palestinians bombed his village in Israel in 1999. Insamuch as he is no longer with us to approve these new variations you propose, I suggest that his Shabaria be left alone as a testament to the artistry that he shared with us while he was alive.
severedthumbs

Post by severedthumbs »

compression lock, no thanks. titanium handled frame lock, **** yeah.
silverback

Post by silverback »

I'd be interested in any Shabaria sprint run. :)
I'd go with Micarta or G10 handles, compression lock is fine with me.
Few people think more than two or three times a year; I have made an international reputation for myself by thinking once or twice a week. -George Bernard Shaw

Go is a pursuit of such value that one can devote a lifetime to it and have nothing to regret. Why not, then, challenge the limit of your powers. -Toshiro Kageyama 7-Dan

Post by 224477 »

I would go with ANY plain edged Shabaria. Its one-of-a-kind knife.. :D
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
Jurphaas

Post by Jurphaas »

VP, I'm reluctant to this suggestion you make. I am very much in support of Zrexxer in his opinion. I would like to pass on the folling additional thoughts for you to consider.
1. Apart from the fact that the designer is not with us anymore, this collaboration model has never been very popular and was never produced in large numbers. This also counts for the compression lock. What on Earth makes you believe that this time this knife with an unpopular locking system would be an instand sales hit?
1. It is a true and given fact, that most Spyderco knives generate more interest after they are discontingued. With this knife that is no exception. It is quickly gaining interest from the collectors and thus appreciates very well. Why would you ruin that by doing a re-make?

No offence mend but just some toughts to clear the mind.
Thanks for reading,
Jurphaas.
Clipits Work!
* WTC # 0107 *
silverback

Post by silverback »

Jurphaas wrote:VP, I'm reluctant to this suggestion you make. I am very much in support of Zrexxer in his opinion. I would like to pass on the folling additional thoughts for you to consider.
1. Apart from the fact that the designer is not with us anymore, this collaboration model has never been very popular and was never produced in large numbers. This also counts for the compression lock. What on Earth makes you believe that this time this knife with an unpopular locking system would be an instand sales hit?
1. It is a true and given fact, that most Spyderco knives generate more interest after they are discontingued. With this knife that is no exception. It is quickly gaining interest from the collectors and thus appreciates very well. Why would you ruin that by doing a re-make?
Jurphaas.
There seem to be some strong feelings connected with the sad fact that Mr. Bradichanski is no longer with us. :(
But in my opinion nothing will be subtracted from the memory of a great designer by another sprint run. On the contrary, we honor great persons by listening to their music, admiring their art, reading their books etc. long after they're gone. :)
The matter of the compression lock can be debated, maybe the linerlock is the way to go, that's what the forum is for ...
This company has also done numerous sprint runs of popular models in the past; the new Almite Walker is surely sufficiently different from the CF Walker so that it doesn't impact on it's collector value?

Don't stomp the guy just because he made an innocent suggestion out of infatuation with a fine knife... :rolleyes:
Few people think more than two or three times a year; I have made an international reputation for myself by thinking once or twice a week. -George Bernard Shaw

Go is a pursuit of such value that one can devote a lifetime to it and have nothing to regret. Why not, then, challenge the limit of your powers. -Toshiro Kageyama 7-Dan
vass

Post by vass »

good point´s from all !

but as far as the comp-lock , not being in favor i did not now that .

the comp-lock is proberly marketed as a thumb-closer and as such-
it´s not as easy for a comp-lock newbie to close with confidence as is-
let´s say a back-lock or for that matter a linerlock.
that said maybe the sales persons should show prospect buyer´s-
how to close the comp-lock with the index or "birdfinger" also there
may be a instruction on how to, on the spydie web page when you click-
on a comp-locked spydie.

note, when i got my first comp-lock, a para, i found it hard to close with my
thumb, but as a forum member i could read about" the how to operate your-
comp-lock" on several threads and now i close my comp-lock knives with
ease, and i am glad that i have a super lock that is a uncomplicated as a linerlock
but as strong or stronger as most other lock´s on the market.

just my opinon !!!!

vass
:spyder: DOG WILL HUNT :spyder:
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: There's no disrespect in spyderco using a knife design they bought just because the designer has passed. If anything I think it shows veneration. I love compression lock. I love the look of the shabaria's donward canted blade, like a thin tipped gently curved kukri. Perfect for self-protection! I'd certianly buy one. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
donutsrule

Post by donutsrule »

I would at least be interested (compression, ball or framelock ... all work for me). :)
VultureParade

Post by VultureParade »

I certainly didn't expect some people to take this thread in a negative way.

Jurphaas... First of all.

I was suggesting a sprint run for people interested in the knife. I'm not suggesting Spyderco does a full run just for the heck of it. This run, in my eyes, would be a way for people who love the Shabaria and want to use the Shabaria to get their hands on one. The older Shabaria models are hard to come by, expensive, and becoming collector's pieces. A sprint run would allow people to get a version of the Shabaria to use and enjoy.

Second of all.

I fail to see how a sprint run would do anything but increase interest for the older Shabarias. The older models would still remain the older models. That's why I'm suggesting some modifications for the sprint run to make it a stand alone piece.

I don't appreciate the attitude that I just threw this thread up without considering the circumstances.

I don't think the modifications I suggested take away from the design or really alter the core in any way, but that can be left up to Spydeco.

I think the compression lock will offer more strength and reliability for the variety of tasks the Shabaria design can be used for. It will also remove the "liner lock = bad!" taboo from the model. The enlarged opening hole will increase function. I just thought they were some ok ideas. Anyone else is free to offer better ones.

I agree, there should be a little video or instruction sheet put up on the Spyderco site about using comp locks. They can be confusing to the new user, but since I see this sprint run as something for the more savvy spyderco buyer, I don't think it will be a problem.

I just think the Shabaria needs to come back in some form. The design should be held and enjoyed by a new generation of Spyderco fanatics that missed the original runs.

I see no better way to honor Mr. Bradichansky than by using and appreciating something he created.

-Bryan
Jurphaas

Post by Jurphaas »

Point taken Bryan!
Jurphaas.
Clipits Work!
* WTC # 0107 *