Tanto knife.....?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jtp422

Tanto knife.....?

Post by jtp422 »

I think that this question should go to Sal as I've gathered that you work for Spyderco in some fashion. So Sal, I work for the US Border Patrol and I'm currently teaching at the Academy. The other day, several of the instructors decided to buy some knives as a group purchase. The majority of us (and I assume other police officers around the country) have come to really like the Tanto style blades. I think I can say with some confidence that a vast majority of the Agents that I work with either have owned or do own and carry a spyderco knife due to its lightweight, quality, easy opening and reasonable price. My question is are there any plans for a Tanto Style Blade in one of the lightweight clipit style knives with the G-10 handle? I'm sure that they would sell very well. Thanks, Jason Penney
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Jason,

Sal is the Owner and CEO of Spyderco which is why we are so lucky that he responds to the forums. Spyderco has a knife like you describe. It is a custom collaboration with Bob Lum. Tanto Blade, G10 handle, liner lock, and ATS-55 blade. If you go to the products section of the Spyderco website you should be able to find it.

-Glenn
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jason. Welcome to the Spyderco forum. Yes indeed, I do work (overwork) for Spyderco.

Thanx Glenn.

sal
afee

Post by afee »

Although discontinued, you can still find the Lum with the original titanium handles. Actually, i think the factory store is having a sale on them now. I personnaly prefer the ti handle on this model, and have found the handle shape provides a secure grip even when wet and slick. Just an alternative. Both are more then say the Endura, but its a great knife with premium production materials. Worth a look, and maybe a group discount from whomever you buy from?
jtp422

Post by jtp422 »

Thanks guys, I guess I'm not looking in the right places for the one with the G10 handle. I'll keep looking and see if I can find one.
Tom Percy

Post by Tom Percy »

Check the Custom Colaboration page, 2nd knife down. What a beaut.
ftkinney

Post by ftkinney »

jason penney -- i'am origanly form texas and some of my high school friends joined the border partrol. tom is right just go to the products page and then the custom caloborations it's right there. have fun ording in bulk.

FTK

Edited by - ftkinney on 6/20/2001 4:08:58 PM

Edited by - ftkinney on 6/21/2001 10:52:41 PM
grant

Post by grant »

jtp422 I am also a LEO and you are right a good percentge of us prefer the tanto style blade. I own a Bob Lum titanium and am looking for a G-10 model.
Interested in trading patches? E-mail Tonytiger4@webtv.net

Edited by - grant on 6/21/2001 12:59:27 AM
ftkinney

Post by ftkinney »

i am courios, why do many LEOs preffer a tanto style blade?

FTK
jtp422

Post by jtp422 »

I like the tanto blade for the same reasons that the Japaneese liked them. In a bad situation, if all else fails, like the lone ranger said, ole' tanto will back you up.
In all actuality, some of the guys that i work with already have them and they work great for cutting into dope bundles and what ever other job that is required of them without having to worry about breaking a dainty little tip (like I have done in the past). Grant, as far as the patch,..email me jasonorernie@hotmail.com...Take Care, JP