Swick (refined SPOT) update

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Swick (refined SPOT) update

Post by sal »

Time for an update.

Thanx to our testers and many comments on the "Swick" design I would like to get more input.

(The "Swick" design is an refinement of the original SPOT design. Prompted by two forumites, that also tested concept models. The handle has been improved in ergos, but still uses the same basic shape. The blade is a 2.25" (2.125" on the original) warncliffe pattern).

We thank them for their efforts.

My current thought is to produce 500 pcs as an experiemental run. We would use the larger 23mm hole as used on the SPOT. We would use the same warncliffe shape as tested, but increase the length to 2.25" (57mm). We would use 4mm CPM-S30V, full flat grind, "stonewash" finish.

We could provide a "slip sheath", which would have mounting holes but no clip......or we could provide a clip, but cost goes up, depending on the type of clip.

I'd like to know if there is any interest?

I'd like to know sheath preferences?

I might also mention that there are other Swick design variations in the works. One is rescue oriented and inspired by a customer at the Blade show.

Please let me know what you think.

sal

--------------------------------------------------

The entire "business chain" from; raw materials, manufacturing, marketing, selling, distributing, shipping, warrantees, insurance, credit, etc. ALL EXISTS to service the ELU (End Line User). Remove the ELU from the equation and the entire business chain falls like a house of cards. We all work for you!
mikewww

Post by mikewww »

Hi Sal

I would be interested in buying one of the 500. The sheath could be the same as the original Spot one. Thanks for the opportunity to try out this new concept.

Regards

Mike
Hannibal Lecter

Sign Me Up!

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

My Dear Mr. Glesser,

Sign me up for one - I would love to put it through the paces. :D
sal wrote:My current thought is to produce 500 pcs as an experiemental run. We would use the larger 23mm hole as used on the SPOT. We would use the same warncliffe shape as tested, but increase the length to 2.25" (57mm). We would use 4mm CPM-S30V, full flat grind, "stonewash" finish.
This sounds like a very serious blade. :D
sal wrote:We could provide a "slip sheath", which would have mounting holes but no clip......or we could provide a clip, but cost goes up, depending on the type of clip.
I would like to see a sheath that would permit attachment of an optional Tek-Lok clip]I'd like to know if there is any interest? [/QUOTE]

Very much so.
sal wrote:I'd like to know sheath preferences?
Again, similar to the SPOT or Ronin would be fine]I might also mention that there are other Swick design variations in the works. One is rescue oriented and inspired by a customer at the Blade show. [/QUOTE]

That would be another one well worth having. Please keep us updated as things progress!

--------------------
My sincerest thanks,

Hannibal
---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."
butch

Post by butch »

how they look for cost
who am i kidding 2 of my close friends have spots so im going to have to 1 up them
let me know where to send the $
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Sign me up! I'll pre-order too.

The overall design sounds very nice. A mix between utility and MBC. Sounds like you're not too sure about the sheath yet. I would suggest no clip, but drill a couple of holes in such a way to allow a (mini) tek-lok. Most of us have at least one of those things lying around. And it can easily be ordered after-market. This way most people who want a clip can have one, while the rest of us are left with a more affordable knife.

I would prefer the sheath to be a minimalist as possible, without sacrificing security. I never minded the tension-screw on the SPOT and Ronin sheaths. The perfect sheath, should be operated with one hand, by using the thumb to push the sheath away. In this way, you have a very nice 'pocket fixed-blade'.

I'm not too sure about the cord channel construction used with the SPOT. It positioned the knife in a very stable position, but it adds bulk and printed under shirts. I also always figured it would cause more tear to the cord, with possible sharp edges/corners and all.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
WORKER#9

Post by WORKER#9 »

I Am In For A Couple, Always Buy One For My Brother.

I Liked The Sheath That Came With The Ronin, Very Nice With The Tec Loc, Also Could Be Used As A Neck Sheath. Could You Do The Sheath In Od Green Or Coyote Brown, Kinda Tired Of Black Kydex.
The Reason I Like This Sheath As I Used It As A Neck Sheath, But When I Sold This Knife In The Picture To My Brother He Wanted It For Belt Carry So He Put The Tec Lock Back On, Very Versatile. It Could Be Converted So Quickly And That Is Nice, It Can Appeal To More People. By The Way The Guy Who Made Those Ronin Sheaths Pictured Did An Excellent Job His Work Was Top Notch! #9
Gerard Breuker

Post by Gerard Breuker »

I have not enough experience to comment on the sheath but I would like some predrilled holes too. Otherwise the answer is YES I am interested as it sounds like a very interesting model.
RLR

Post by RLR »

Paddle sheath with dual horizontal and vertical lash slits, 4 holes for vertical or horizontal tec-lock option and/or neck lash. Oh, and make it rescue yellow...

I'll take one Sal - offer them for sale to forumites because I need one beside my concept version!

RLR
Titus

Post by Titus »

This one sounds great! :D :D :D Like the other fourmites, I would leave the clip off, but make it tec-loc compatible. Will there be any type of handle material or will the knife be all steel?
butch

Post by butch »

i was thinking about keeping it in the watch pocket of my jeans it would be just like going for my para but just alittle higher like on the belt line
could this be a forum model :)
pjrocco

Post by pjrocco »

I love the SPOT. All I wanted was it to be offered in S30v.. :D

This baby sounds serious.

Where do I sign?
Rock
sal

Post by sal »

Hi RLR, thanx for the push and the tests. I guess I if you want one to use, they can't be that bad? ;)

I'm not taking any pre-orders, just getting input.

A simple slip sheath just covering the blade with a one hand "thumb-push-off" (PTO :rolleyes: ) would be the minimum and could be carried in a pocket or pack. Tech-Loks are pretty expensive and by the time you add neck carrry features and chain, you end up spending $25 - $30 for the sheath.

I'd liked to be realistic on cost. So how many of you want all of the bells and whistles in a sheath? And might we be better off, as Wouter suggested, for you to have it custom made for your needs, get us out of the middle and save some dough. A slip sheath could serve in the mean-time. We would locate the rivets to align to a tech-lok in case you had one "laying around".

Hey #9, thanx for the compliment. They're being made by a local sheath-maker in Golden. He would make the sheaths for this model. I'll let him know.

sal
Zwaplat

Post by Zwaplat »

I think I'd love a Swick. It would be ideal for climbing imo, especially with a sheath that can be attached on different places one way or another.
Only problem will be acquiring one from here :( . Money is an issue I'm afraid.
But a Swick with sheath with some predrilled holes with which I can fashion something, for about 50 euros...perfect.
Titus

Post by Titus »

I really like the sheath as you describe it. Simple, but tec-loc ready. I am spoiled with the one on my Moran. With the knife already being made in Colorado with S30V, a simple sheath would be good to keep the price down.
RLR

Post by RLR »

That's what I meant: simple, covers the blade, but has slits cut in and holes in the right spot for a tec-lock or chain option (at the ELU's choice and cost).
gabo

Post by gabo »

I plastidipped my SPOT. Its very comfortable so I would not bother adding scales to the handle from the factory. A simple basic sheath would be fine, with Tec Lok holes. Put the money in the steel, VG10 of SV30, I will buy it when it becomes available.
WORKER#9

Post by WORKER#9 »

Yes Sal Simple To Keep Costs Down, But Tecloc Compatible. And Please Anything But Black, Od Green Maybe? #9
freeman7

Post by freeman7 »

Great idea. Minimalist sheath for possible pocket carry would be great.
After market sheath could be obtained by those who need one.
coffeeman

Post by coffeeman »

Hey Sal

The swik sounds great, sign me up for one!

The slip sheath mentioned without the clip would be my choice, s30v :cool:

Let me know when I should send in payment. :)

Michael & Stephanie in Atlanta...
Special thanks to Bill W. for all of his inspiration and guidance.

Do you know Bill ?

One :spyder: for all and all :spyder: forum one!
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

I'd love a Swick with a clipless sheath! AUS-6 or higher (even S30V :p ) works for me.

Thanks, Sal and RLR!
"I knew you before you knew you had hands!" ~Tracey Brogan

"Ah-ha! A Spyderco moment!" ~Michael Cook

"Hawkbills - Sink in the tip and let it rip!" ~Axlis

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned" ~Richard Feynman