New Lil Temp

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RWL

New Lil Temp

Post by RWL »

I am wondering if any other lil temp owners have/had a problem with the lil temp folder when new that is was very difficult to get the lock to disengage from the blade, I just got my knife and it is very difficult to do, I am not sure if there is a burr that is holding the lock so it will not easily slide off the tang of the blade. When I hold the knife it looks like I am pushing the tab of the lock over against the scale and the lock is still engaged on the tang of the blade, to get a better look I took a pencil and pushed the tab of the lock over against the scale and I could see better the lock was not releasing the blade, the only way I can get it to release is to wedge my thumb down between the scales on the front side of the tab of the compression lock.
Has anyone else has this happen, would it go away after the knife has been used for awhile ? maybe it needs a little adjusting back at the factory, thanks for any help
Ron :spyder:

WTC #1518 #1535
WORKER#9

Post by WORKER#9 »

Well Yes And No. Very Tight Lock Up Is One Of The Reasons I Love The Lil Temp. Try Some Oil And A Little Break In Time. If This Does Not Work. Then Call Spyderco. My Lil Temps Where Tight When I Got Them So Try To Work It Out With Some Use. It Can Be Hard To Unlock At First This Was Common To A Couple Of Mine. #9
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

I've had no issues with my Li'l Temp -- must be one of the reasons it's stands as my all-time favorite.

I actually had to tighten the blade pivot a little, and I switched to tip up without a hitch (sorry Spydutch :o ).

I hope it works in for you...
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

I'll just leave it at Tip Down....
gabo

Post by gabo »

check for dirt in between the scales and lock bar, may be debris preventing full release. I wash mine off and it becomes easier to close after a days work. I also might suggest functioning the lock without lube to assist break in and perhaps remove any burrs there.
IMHO, the comp lock is the absolute best lock out there, wont release with a strong grip, dirt and pocket lint has no detrimental effect on opening and engaging, just closing as noted above. There is no play in mine, just a great design. good luck
Samhain73

Post by Samhain73 »

Yeah I had the same problem, it went away after a breaking in period, and I changed my closing technique. I just pinch with my thumb and forefinger and use my middle finger to push the bar over. It seems much easier.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Had a similiar problem with my Lil Temp..but a little lube and break in time seemed to cure the problem...Doc
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*