Show us your lanyards!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

[quote="poodle"]how in the world could this thead have ever gotten this far?[/QUOTE

I noticed no one responded to what you wrote...and that's probably cause your comment is a bit moronic...however I feel I need to respond instead of just ignoring you in hopes you might go away...sorry if my comments are insulting but I found your comment to be of an insulting nature...maybe you didn't mean it the way it seemed to come off...maybe you did...but my answer to your question in short is:

There are so few accessories that one can make, purchase, or obtain...to go with ones knife...The interest in this thread proves that an accessory which attaches to a knife can be of great value...Please take note that most knives have a lanyard hole (FOR A REASON!!!!) The simply magnificent work shown on this thread is awesome and a credit to anyone who painstakinly works with paracord to adorn that lanyard hole in the knife. I guess what I'm saying is it is very obvious how this thread has... to put it in your words "gotten this far" please take note it has gotten very far...more that any other thread on this forum....there must be a reason why :eek: ....you just must be missing it!!! Might I suggest you just put some silly putty in your lanyard hole and forget about this whole thread....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Native

Post by Native »

"I made like infinity of those at scout camp"
Attachments
Napoleon-Dynamite-fs06.jpg
Napoleon-Dynamite-fs06.jpg (40.74 KiB) Viewed 2862 times
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

Here’s another variation of the royal blue and silver one I made earlier.

This is a Round Sennit with two Cobra Twists done over it.

Took about 11 feet of cord to make (strand less of course).
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis
HoustonTactical

Post by HoustonTactical »

Ghostrider/Stormdrane (and everybody else who has posted their work):

Thank you for taking the time to share it with all of us. It inspired me to go out there and give it a shot. I spent most of today struggling to get the monkey fist right.

I used a 1" wooden ball at the center, but had portions of it showing. Would one of you mind sharing with me any secrets to getting this knot right? :confused:

Thanks! :)
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

HoustonTactical wrote:Ghostrider/Stormdrane (and everybody else who has posted their work):

Thank you for taking the time to share it with all of us. It inspired me to go out there and give it a shot. I spent most of today struggling to get the monkey fist right.

I used a 1" wooden ball at the center, but had portions of it showing. Would one of you mind sharing with me any secrets to getting this knot right? :confused:

Thanks! :)
Welcome to the forum HT.

You might try starting out with something a little smaller untill you get your sea legs under you. I do 1" BB often and they are more involved than something that only requires about 3 turns. If you need a source for balls in that size you could try sling shot ammunition (works great be it glass or steel).

Best thing to do is tighten it gradually, one loop at a time. Big thing is learning what I call "the anatomy of the knot". It is possible that you didn't do enough turns for the size ball you are using. It gets tricker when you get bigger because more turns make it more complex. It's also good to peek in between the turns to make sure the strands underneath are uniform.

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions, just ask.

And don't forget: "Show Us Your Lanyards". :D
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:

HoustonTactical

ghostrider wrote:Welcome to the forum HT.

You might try starting out with something a little smaller untill you get your sea legs under you. I do 1" BB often and they are more involved than something that only requires about 3 turns. If you need a source for balls in that size you could try sling shot ammunition (works great be it glass or steel).

Best thing to do is tighten it gradually, one loop at a time. Big thing is learning what I call "the anatomy of the knot". It is possible that you didn't do enough turns for the size ball you are using. It gets tricker when you get bigger because more turns make it more complex. It's also good to peek in between the turns to make sure the strands underneath are uniform.

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions, just ask.

And don't forget: "Show Us Your Lanyards". :D
Thank you sir! I appreciate the additional insight that you provided. Do you have any other knots that I should practice (beginner style)? :)
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

ghostrider wrote:Here&#8217]Image[/URL]

Took about 11 feet of cord to make (strand less of course).
Wow David! I like this one a lot! ...that Ronin photo is Spyderlicious!
I might have to get another order in with you in the dead of winter.... ;) .....but looks fantastic! :cool:
Out of curiosity...what did you use for the Fist parts of my lanyards? :rolleyes:
Attachments
strjesshorn 034.jpg
strjesshorn 034.jpg (68.2 KiB) Viewed 3425 times
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

Stormdrane wrote:This one floats! It's a bit large, I used a ping pong ball for the center with Coleman utility cord which also floats.

Hey Stormdrane...that's one big lanyard...looks really cool !....might be suitable for one of the new Hossum Foresters....? :rolleyes: :) btw You've got some mad lanyard-making skills too! Maybe you and Ghostrider could start the Ultimate Internet Lanyard Shop on the Planet! ;)

specs:

FB16P - Jerry Hossom Forester PlainEdge - $374.95
Length - 15 9/16" / 395mm
Blade Length - 9 1/8" / 232mm
Weight - 16.8oz. / 456g
Steel - N690Co
Handle - Green Micarta
ETA - December
brian
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

HoustonTactical wrote:Thank you sir! I appreciate the additional insight that you provided. Do you have any other knots that I should practice (beginner style)? :)
You could try the Knife Lanyard Knot. Google folsom knots and find it there. They also have a very basic Turks Head that will make good exercise.
jaislandboy wrote:Wow David! I like this one a lot! ...that Ronin photo is Spyderlicious!
I might have to get another order in with you in the dead of winter.... ]Out of curiosity...what did you use for the Fist parts of my lanyards?[/B] :rolleyes:
Nothing. You wanted them lite, so I didn’t use anything. I normally don’t put something inside the MF unless someone requests it, or if I’m feeling frisky.
[INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:

HoustonTactical

ghostrider wrote:You could try the Knife Lanyard Knot. Google folsom knots and find it there. They also have a very basic Turks Head that will make good exercise.

Nothing. You wanted them lite, so I didn’t use anything. I normally don’t put something inside the MF unless someone requests it, or if I’m feeling frisky.
Thank you again for the resource.

That is interesting that you don't use anything in the center of the MF. Who long does it take you to create a MF?
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I'm not ghostrider, but I can generally do a monkey fist in an hour, more or less. It depends on the cord size and fist size desired. I usually start with a figure 8 knot, and tuck it inside for a core on the next wrap, usually two loops per side, then do a third layer with three or four loops per side, and so on until I get the size I want (or run out of cord :rolleyes: )

Don't expect to do one fast until you have done a bunch (I learned in the US Navy, 25 years ago. I have a bunch of practice, even if I don't take a lot of pictures :D )
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

HoustonTactical wrote:Thank you again for the resource.

That is interesting that you don't use anything in the center of the MF. Who long does it take you to create a MF?
How long it takes depends upon the size, and I usually use a BB or marble for the bigger ones. I don't know if it could or couldn't be done without something in the center on the ones with more turns. A three turn MF will usually take between 30 minutes to an hour. That's a guesstimate.
[INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:

yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Okay, I'm no photographer, and it's dark here, and this is a quick picture, but the two monkey fists are cored as I said before, starting with a figure 8 knot.

I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
kcardwel

Post by kcardwel »

Ghostrider how did you do the square part on this monkey fist one? Looks really different. On post #994
ken

[quote="jaislandboy"]eat your hearts out.... ]
Stormdrane

Post by Stormdrane »

Nice work yablonwitz. I've used sizes/types of ball bearings, wooden balls, marbles, and even ping pong balls for the centers of my monkeys fists.

ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

yablanowitz wrote:Okay, I'm no photographer, and it's dark here, and this is a quick picture, but the two monkey fists are cored as I said before, starting with a figure 8 knot.
Nice work. Thanks for postiing it. I can get an idea of what going on it it looks sweet.
kcardwel wrote:Ghostrider how did you do the square part on this monkey fist one? Looks really different. On post #994
ken
Hi kcardwel,
It isn’t a Square Sennit. It’s two Cobra Twists done offset 90*. It’s basically the same as the one you commented on at USN only with no sennit inside, and not twisted. If you look at the pic in post #991 on page 67 it’s the same as that only without the Square Sennit underneath.
[INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:

ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

Need to get these posted. These were for a newer member of our little, world-wide community.

[INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:

jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

ghostrider wrote:...
They all look great David! A skull just adds some more of that Cool Factor....I believe Jeff was onto something with his GID beads....a GID SKULL would be the Bomb for a lanyard...Navy and white makes me think UK-bound... :rolleyes: ;)
well what do you call these? looks like a big mushroom stalk leading to the fist... :D I like em all! :cool:
brian
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

jaislandboy wrote:They all look great David! A skull just adds some more of that Cool Factor....I believe Jeff was onto something with his GID beads....a GID SKULL would be the Bomb for a lanyard...Navy and white makes me think UK-bound... :rolleyes: ]well what do you call these? looks like a big mushroom stalk leading to the fist... :D [/B] I like em all! :cool:
Those are the JFBF (Jumbo Fat Boy Fob), and they were designed by Gander_Man over at CPF. They the ones that weigh about 3.5oz.

Must be bad lighting, but the other ones are not navy and white, but are instead royal blue and silver. Not UK :confused: .
[INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:

ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

Here’s another one.

[INDENT]
Thread for tying tips: