Headed for the SFO

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Zerileous

Headed for the SFO

Post by Zerileous »

well, i am going to be visiting the SFO in a week or so (just taged onto a vacation), and I was wondering where exctally it is in Golden. Also to double check, will it be in golden and open by the 8th?

I will probably buy some knives, I am not sure, right now my strategy is to check out a BUNCH of knives and then buy some if the prices are good, and buy at least one if they are not so great. (i have heard 30-40 off of MSRP, but IDK).

There are some that I am considering, that I definatley want to feel, and I also sort of want to "bank" on this chance since IDK of any good locals. So my must see list:

FRN dragonfly
Paramilie
Dodo

Also considering
Stretch
Military
FRN Cricket

Are there any other knives there that are like "if you hold it you will fall in love" that I need to check out? (note: I have held the manix, centofante, ss cricket, jojimbo, meerkat and calypso jr so no need to mention those)

Thanks.

PS If you guys know of any other great things to do in the denver area that dont take much planning let me know! Also, mention anything that is near Vail (or is it Vale) or up in that area.
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

Zerileous wrote:PS If you guys know of any other great things to do in the denver area that dont take much planning let me know! Also, mention anything that is near Vail (or is it Vale) or up in that area.
Rockies, the BB team not mountains, and Coors field.
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

You must try to handle: Any Native (fell in love with it at once), Scorpius, Shemp Persian Folder and (if possible and there is one) the Li'l Temp.
The one knife which doesn't seem to leave my hand lately is the Manix (it seems the handle is molded after my hand..)
Michael Cook

perhaps the delica in zdp-189?

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: Stretch! it's got it all! :cool: :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'll second adding the Native and Schempp Persian to you list, and the Kiwi would be another I'd suggest trying out. Truthfully, if I were back at the point where I had only handled a few models, and went to SFO, I'd handle every darn model that they let me put my paws on. It is definitely worth finding out which ones "fit" and which ones just don't feel right in your hand. Figure anything that feels good now will still feel good a year, two, or ten from now.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
swede

Post by swede »

I would love to see the new SFO, which is right next to the factory, I think. Call for directions. It's not more than 10 minutes off the I-70. It's a great place to lay your hands on the full line-up. They usually have weekly (or is it monthly) specials at good prices, but the one thing to keep in mind.. if you buy it there, you pay CO sales tax, and have to schlep it back on an airplane. If you order from them online, no tax and free shipping.

I go to the Vail area every summer to flyfish. There are some great trout streams (the Eagle is my favorite) and the runoff should be subsiding about now. If you don't fish, hiking is awesome in the Rockies. You'll have a great time, guaranteed!
Dave
SharpNJ

Post by SharpNJ »

How can you order from the factory outlet online?
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

SharpNJ wrote:How can you order from the factory outlet online?
It's not hard. Click HOME in the upper left corner, go shopping via the catalog by putting things in your basket then check out. You'll need to set up an account. Or, just call and place an order. You'll find the phone # under contacts.

I've ordered twice from the SFO and you do get great service when you call, but both times my stuff has taken 2 full weeks to arrive. Granted, shipping is free, sooo.....
Zerileous

Post by Zerileous »

The return trip wont be a problem, I am driving from Kansas City. Not a short drive by any means, but its practically easier than an airplane. The way airports are these days, a plane trip is a nearly all day affair for those not hustling or leaving extremely early. Thanks for the advice, I am sure there will be a whole lot of fondling going on :) .
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Zerileous...

BTW here is where the Magic happens...just below Pine Ridge Road, at Spyderco Way...

pvr4

Post by pvr4 »

I visited the new SFO last week, Tuesday I think. I stopped at the old store not realizing it had moved. I got kind of lost on the way after I turned off of 93 I missed a left turn and ended up driving past a bunch of farms. Anyway, it is open and it looks like it will be a very nice space with room to show older models, kind of a museum of sorts. Gail was helping Cody out and showed me some cool stuff from military users. I walked out with a black paramilitary which I ended up shipping home at the end of my trip. You can take a tour of the Coors factory which is right down the street. And there is great mountain bike riding, rock climbing and hiking nearby too.
hanswurst

Post by hanswurst »

hi zerileous,
don't miss lookout mountain, about a 1.5 miles south of the SFO. the lookout is 1300 feet above golden, overlooking golden and denver in the background. buffalo bill's grave is up there and i think they have a little museum. the drive and the views are great.
marco
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

Coors field, Colorado Rockies....oh yeah, I said that already.
Zerileous

Post by Zerileous »

Thanks guys.