Mystery Black Police Part 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
pmel018

Mystery Black Police Part 2

Post by pmel018 »

Hi Guys
the box for my black coated CO7P arrived today. It is a RED box, marked CO7P on the labeland dated 8/97. There is a large white label on the "top" face of the box with 'BLAK-TI FINISH' printed on it. Do these details jog anyone's memory???? :confused: :spyder:
Thanks Phil
hardkiss

Post by hardkiss »

is the blade and the handle both black and when you close the knife a very little bit of the blade closest to pivot is not blackened?? if so this is a knife that has a titatanim nitride coating..cool blade..
"it is like a finger pointing a way to the moon, don't concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory"

Bruce Lee
John F Jensen

Post by John F Jensen »

FYI - 'BLAK-TI FINISH' is not a Titanium Aluminum Nitride (TIALN) finish.
pmel018

Post by pmel018 »

Hi John
any ideas what it is and where it came from???

hardkiss- yes, it is as you describe. I had hoped to have this sorted by now but no one seems to know.
Phil
Civilian

Post by Civilian »

I have one of the same and i was wondering if possibly it was a Ti-police that was coated in black. The reason I saw this is when i look at the scales on mine they have the same "rivets" as my Ti-scaled police. I can't remember what the box looked like or if I got the box with it. I'll try to pull it out of "storage" and take a look.
MAT :spyder: TER
Just-American
WTC#1511
"Hunt You Down All Nightmare Long!"
"Civilian Lovers appreciate nice curves" insp. by Dr. Snubnose
pmel018

Post by pmel018 »

Civilian wrote:I have one of the same and i was wondering if possibly it was a Ti-police that was coated in black. The reason I saw this is when i look at the scales on mine they have the same "rivets" as my Ti-scaled police. I can't remember what the box looked like or if I got the box with it. I'll try to pull it out of "storage" and take a look.
Hi There
mine is definitely S/Steel. i have a Ti Police and I am pretty sure that all of them have ATS 34 blades, this one is ATS 55.

Phil
Joyce Laituri

Post by Joyce Laituri »

Hi Pmel018,

We've had several retailers/dealers coat Police Models aftermarket. If your blade says ATS-55, it is probably an aftermarket coating since we released the Police in ATS-55 just a few years ago. Also indicative of this is the box label C07P. If it had come factory coated the packaging should have been labeled C07PBK.

We had black Blak Ti -carbon nitrate coated C07s in our product line in the early 1990s but if I remember correctly they all had GIN-1/G2 blades.

Any black C07 is rare and regardless of how or where they get coated they're a great looking knife with high resale value!

Joyce @ Spyderco
pmel018

Post by pmel018 »

Hi Joyce
I think this one will have to remain a mystery, someone has gone to considerable effort to produce a knife that matches the "official" product and turned out a great looking item. It's the collector in me that wants to put everything in it's place.
Many thanks for your comments.
Phil