To be discontinued

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Gerard Breuker

To be discontinued

Post by Gerard Breuker »

Not that it is any of our business but we all know some models will have to go to make room for the new models we so desperately desire.
The question is of course which ones do we think we can let go for now ( and ask to be returned in the future no doubt). We know already the WTC will go so that one doesn't count.

I guess I could live with the Centofante3, the Karambit, the Scorpius, the Vagabond and the Temperance being discontinued. Not that I have anything against those knives but I believe those that want them have them by now and they are the least appealing to me. No need to tell me they are great knives as I do not know any Spydie that disappoints.

So how would you make room at the factory?
Zwaplat

Post by Zwaplat »

I want to buy a Centofante in August! Hands off!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Well, of course in the end, sales (or rather lack of them) more than anything else will determine what stays and what goes. I'm really glad these decisions are not mine to make, I'm too soft and sentimental where knives are concerned. That said, have to wonder if the CF sprint run will be the swan song of the Harpy. The 79mm Rescue does not seem to have much of a following among the forum crowd, have to wonder if it is more appealing to the larger market. Same goes for the Spyder Saw, the all stainless Native, the Assists, the Scorpius, and the Impala. Of course, I could be dead wrong on all of these, "John Q Public" may be gobbling them all up at a phenomenal pace.

And, as much as I like my two Spyderco kitchen knives, I think it might be time to "fish or cut bait". The present selection amounts to "odds and ends". Either put out a group of knives with matching handles and a good knife block, make sure there's a really good steak knife among them, then sell the knives and block both as a set and as "open stock", or leave this market to William Henry, Al Mar, and AG Russell.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Joe Talmadge

Post by Joe Talmadge »

The Deacon wrote:Well, of course in the end, sales (or rather lack of them) more than anything else will determine what stays and what goes. I'm really glad these decisions are not mine to make, I'm too soft and sentimental where knives are concerned. That said, have to wonder if the CF sprint run will be the swan song of the Harpy. The 79mm Rescue does not seem to have much of a following among the forum crowd, have to wonder if it is more appealing to the larger market. Same goes for the Spyder Saw,
Ironically, sometimes I wait until the discontinue notice before I buy. The Spydersaw has been on my list for a long time, but never quite bubbled up high enough to get bought. I hear they're getting discontinued, it gets a priority boost and I pick one up. 'course, then I sit around staring at it saying, "well, I bought it to use, but it's discontinued".

Joe
Joe Talmadge

Post by Joe Talmadge »

And BTW, if I can take us down the low road of reprehensible, unsubstantiated rumors, someone on bladeforums claims the Dodo is potentially on the chopping block.

Joe
Leo Daher

Post by Leo Daher »

Joe Talmadge wrote:And BTW, if I can take us down the low road of reprehensible, unsubstantiated rumors, someone on bladeforums claims the Dodo is potentially on the chopping block.

Joe
Actually, the rumours appear to have started here on the Spyderco forums: http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.p ... light=dodo
Leo Daher

Post by Leo Daher »

BTW, I certainly hope the Dodo will NOT be discontinued.
Stuart Ackerman

????

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

..do you not mean " become extinct" ??? :D
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Joe Talmadge wrote:And BTW, if I can take us down the low road of reprehensible, unsubstantiated rumors, someone on bladeforums claims the Dodo is potentially on the chopping block.

Joe
The REALLY scary part is that at least one person is still taking it as fact even after being assured that NO decisions had yet been made as to which models would be retired for 2006.

Don't know about you Joe, but the first thing I did when I saw the original post that triggered that thread was to SEARCH both forums and read every posts by Joyce for the last few months. Now granted, the OP could have gotten his info in a telephone conversation email correspondence or face to face chat with her, but there certainly is no post by Joyce either here or on BF to give credence to that rumor.

On a totally different note, I did take Sal's little "tidbit" the other day that the Kiwi would be getting a new scale material for 2006 as a fairly sure sign that it is NOT going to disappear quite yet.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Gerard Breuker

Post by Gerard Breuker »

It was the rumor about the Dodo that made me think about models that could be discontinued. It seems to me the Dodo has yet to be discovered by the general public and deserves to stay. I would love to see a Dodimbo however.
The odd thing is that I have immediately become more interested in the models I have nominated. A silly kind of prediscontinuation fever I guess.
Ted

Post by Ted »

The Deacon wrote:...make sure there's a really good steak knife among them...
Yes please! - never understood why Spyderco with the best serrations in the world doesn't have steak knives in the line up. K05 is just too big and scares the sh*t out of guests when they come over for dinner. :D
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

Human nature.....You want what you can't have!

I consider myself "the general public". My taste is more traditional, Delica, Kiwi, Manix, etc. Now, this upcoming release of the sprint runs, Delica & Caly in ZDP 189, the R and some others, will be my first since finding this forum. It's very exciting, but the point is, I've pre-ordered 2 of everything I've wanted. I don't want to be in the same position I'm in now, watching the catalog change and I have to pay a premium for some stuff as it becomes more scarce on the secondary market.
4 s ter

Post by 4 s ter »

Joe Talmadge wrote:Ironically, sometimes I wait until the discontinue notice before I buy. The Spydersaw has been on my list for a long time, but never quite bubbled up high enough to get bought. I hear they're getting discontinued, it gets a priority boost and I pick one up. 'course, then I sit around staring at it saying, "well, I bought it to use, but it's discontinued".
I see I'm not alone in this :D The "Get it quick before it's gone" purchasing and the "But I can't get another one" protectiveness.

David
David

"Not all who wander are lost"
"To liner or not to liner? That is the question?" -- Sal
"Rule number nine: always carry a knife." -- Special Agent Jethro Gibbs/NCIS ;)
bpfsu

Post by bpfsu »

The Deacon wrote:The REALLY scary part is that at least one person is still taking it as fact even after being assured that NO decisions had yet been made as to which models would be retired for 2006.

Don't know about you Joe, but the first thing I did when I saw the original post that triggered that thread was to SEARCH both forums and read every posts by Joyce for the last few months. Now granted, the OP could have gotten his info in a telephone conversation email correspondence or face to face chat with her, but there certainly is no post by Joyce either here or on BF to give credence to that rumor.

On a totally different note, I did take Sal's little "tidbit" the other day that the Kiwi would be getting a new scale material for 2006 as a fairly sure sign that it is NOT going to disappear quite yet.

If the person being referred to is me, and actually even if it's not, in talking with Joyce at the Blade show about the Dodo, she mentioned that it was being dicontinued, and I voiced my disappointment. It is by far one of my favorites, and if I didn't have so many other models to get, I would buy a few more.

BP
donutsrule

Post by donutsrule »

And I'm the person who posted the question in Bladeforums since sometimes it seems Sal hangs out there more than he does here. ;)

Thanks, bpfsu, for the additional information. :)

Hopefully its "discontinuation," if ever, is in the form of a running change improvement (bronze washers, ZDP-189 or Polywog-style ball lock, etc.) rather than outright extinction.
Irish Lager

Post by Irish Lager »

it is hard for me to say what i could except being discontinued. however i think that the scorpius and karambit are still well sought and should be left well enough alone for now. the tempreance and vegabond i think are exceptable (dont get me wrong) i like each of theese knives, but i think i would be alright with that decision. there are a coulple knives that i have held that i didnt like the feel and shape of but were of the up most quality, and are well liked and for that they have to be left alone. for now i will leave it at that i am not sure what should be discontinued, and will leave it up to the pros to decide.
GS
Say what you mean, Mean what you say! :spyder: