Got my Lil' Temperance today...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Samhain73

Got my Lil' Temperance today...

Post by Samhain73 »

...And its an awsome knife! Great ergonomics, fits my hand well. A little smaller than I had originly thought however.It cuts like a laser, and really does feel like a mini-manix. However.. the bad part is I tried to switch it to tip up carry and had a struggle. It seems that the factory put red loctite on the screws! If you have ever faced this wicked foe, then you know how much it can fight! Needless to say, I defeated it, but in the process, totally stripped out one screw.(the thing was literaly covered in loctite from top to bottom) My question to anyone who might know, is what size screws are used on the Temp? Thanks! -Mike :spyder:
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

Don't know the screw size but a quick call to Golden and I'm sure the screws will be sent ASAP.
Michael Cook

snicker-snack!

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: They do really glue it in there but, man alive! Is it not an amazing knife! It makes a great fistload, too! The Lil' T is my all time favorite spyder. :cool: :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
WORKER#9

Post by WORKER#9 »

Samhain73 wrote:...And its an awsome knife! Great ergonomics, fits my hand well. A little smaller than I had originly thought however.It cuts like a laser, and really does feel like a mini-manix. However.. the bad part is I tried to switch it to tip up carry and had a struggle. It seems that the factory put red loctite on the screws! If you have ever faced this wicked foe, then you know how much it can fight! Needless to say, I defeated it, but in the process, totally stripped out one screw.(the thing was literaly covered in loctite from top to bottom) My question to anyone who might know, is what size screws are used on the Temp? Thanks! -Mike :spyder:
I DID THE SAME THING, I CALLED SPYDERCO AND THEY SENT ME A NEW ONE AND A COUPLE OF EXTRAS, TIP UP RULES! #9
gabo

Post by gabo »

I havent tried this, but you could heat a cheap phillips and place it in the screw. this will soften up the red loctite making it easy to remove.
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

awsome looks to be a great knife.
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: I'm thinking about getting a Lil' T in se to go with my pe while it's still available, It'd be my only se other than my civvie. Hmmm anyone have both? how does the se cut in comparison to the pe? :cool: :spyder:

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
BladeGoblin

Post by BladeGoblin »

I like the little temp, but has anyone had trouble with getting your skin caught in the compression lock when opening it right handed? I have modified my grip and that solves the problem, but with my opening style it still happens once in a while. ouch!! :mad:
dialex

Post by dialex »

Welcome aboard and enjoy your new great knife.
BladeGoblin, I also get pinched by my complocks now and then. Annoying, yet not a big deal, I guess all depends on the grip.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Michael Cook

beware of idle knife play, be deliberate!

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: That happens to me never with my Lil' T but sometimes with my wife's yojimbo, distracting. :o But it only when I'm flipping it around in a non-combative way. When I more seriously drill with it I have no problems. :spyder:

Post by 333 »

Welcome to the forums Samhain73,

First of all congratulations on the lil Temp.
Second I would just like to second what the others have said, just a quick call and they will send them to ya.

"Ceaseless toil and broken dreams are the essence of urban living." ~ Double D

"I shall become that which I hate" ~ 333

"Nothing is impossible, just improbable."
Samhain73

Post by Samhain73 »

BladeGoblin wrote:I like the little temp, but has anyone had trouble with getting your skin caught in the compression lock when opening it right handed? I have modified my grip and that solves the problem, but with my opening style it still happens once in a while. ouch!! :mad:
Mine does not pinch, but it is very stiff, to where it hurts my thumb to release the lock! I push it over with my right thumb, then pocket wave,or two hand it shut. But it takes ALOT of force to push the compresion lock over. Is this normal and just the breaking in period? It seems like the lock surface just pokes my thumb. Maybe I'm doing something goofy, I'll probably just build up a callus. :D
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

I don't get pinched, but my palm has a gap over the top of the handle. I know that there were changes to the lock during the Lil' Temp's tenure. Mr. Blonde has pics of his LT collection (impressive!), and I believe he has 3 different lock variations. My lock is flush with the G-10 handle on top, and only a 1/16" gap is present between the handle and lock when the knife is closed.

I close my Lil' Temp by using my forefinger & thumb -- I pinch the lock open, and swing the blade closed. I changed mine to tip-up carry as well.
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
mikewww

Post by mikewww »

Hi Samhain73

Congrats on getting a super knife. I got mine a while ago, after a long trip in the post. Pictures do not do justice to this :spyder: . You have to hold one to appreciate it. Many forumites will tell you it is the best knife made by Spyderco.

Sorry I can't offer any help with the clip. Mine stays as it is, as most of my :spyder: s are safe queens, I am afraid. But I do carry a Meerkat at all times.

Regards

Mike
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

and yet when I bent the clip on my lil temp, I just used a small screwdriver and they came out no prob... but I'm also *used* to taking screws out with blue loctite on em.

Just call Joyce or Patti, or email them, and you should be able to get replacements easily.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
Samhain73

Post by Samhain73 »

Thanks everyone, but I got the screws all out, and the clip is indeed reversed now! It's just one is kinda stripped out, but really no big deal, as I don't think think I'll be switching it back to tip up. I have the S30V version, and the compression lock doesn't quite go to the top of the knife( indeed Mr.Blondes is the best reference as he has great pics!) and the small surface kinda cuts into my thumb as the lock up is very tight. But I guess I'll just have to toughen up!

Post by 999 »

I love mine too!
I have a PE 440V leaf model. Does anyone know where they still have the S30V PE leaf still in stock?

I had a little trouble with the screws on mine. I switched to tip-up then back again. That is a very sturdy clip!
Dave.
dragn_flame

Post by dragn_flame »

http://www.1stknightswords.com/index.html

still has some left in S30V
Samhain73

Post by Samhain73 »

I got mine off the E-channel. P.S. The Temp bit me, I guess it likes me! :D :spyder:
WORKER#9

Post by WORKER#9 »

I Dont Think There Is A Better Folding Knife Out There, Custom Or Non Custom Than The Lil Temp. If I Was Forced To Own Only One Folder This Would Be It. It Is That Great Of A Knife, I Currently Own Five And I Am Sure There Are More Out There With My Name On Them. It Really Does Not Get Any Better Than This, It Is Truly A Knife With No Peers! #9